Affinity Publisher Customer Beta - 1.10.2.1156

• Staff

Purpose: Compatibility / Fixes
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Windows Store: Not Submitted
Download: Download
Auto-update: Not Available

---

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher Customer Beta 1.10.2.1156 is now available as a download from the link above.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is an incremental update to the 1.10.1 version recently released to all customers. We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the release version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

---

• Issues with the Affinity Web Services 'My Account' Page
  • 'Replace' in the Resource Manager converts Linked to Embedded
  • Invalid URL hyperlinks prevent PDF export
  • Other assorted minor fixes

Affinity Publisher 1.10.1 Release Notes

---

To be notified about all future Windows beta updates, please follow this notification thread 

To be notified when this Publisher update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Publisher customers, please follow this thread

35 minutes ago, VanHeber said:

When using Anchor links with objetcs instead of texts, causes error on export to PDF.

If you enable PDFLib logging, the log reports that the object you're linking to on Page 3 appears to be off of the page to the left by about 270 units, and that's causing the failure. It looks fine to me, so I'm not sure what's actually triggering the problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 hours ago, Lagarto said:

should it remove preceding/trailing spaces in the address part, or even in the middle of the address part), and should it be able to perform percent-encoding itself rather than expect it from the user,

Trim begining and ending spaces (and return or line break at same positions seems logical or possible, no more*), but the more important is URL_encode (percent encoding) when memorising the text — and URL_decode when displaying the URL for modification, should be done by the app.
Some red flags to indicate a wrong URL... why not, but it shouldn't prevent PDF export, unless it's an option (copy-editor or the worker seriousness are the ones that need to check valid URL).

The same for mailto.

And the app shouldn't auto-correct any text inserted in those field, or words beginning by common URL/FTP prefixes or containing an @.

* Working with the Office suit means using apps that'll use their limited AI to select more than what you want... or use unintuitive shortcuts impossible to disable or modify... That's where some small tricks in apps like APub can compensate those overzealous "user friendly" additions.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me rephrase my question: how should I adept or correct my previous hyperlinks so they will no longer lead to an error when exporting my document to digital pdf? What detail is it that causes this error in version 1.10 (and didn't in earlier versions)?

Hyperlinks and pdf logging confused me when reading the explanations about causes of failure as in Lagartos explanation, I was interpreting this to mean my design copy in publisher, thinking about it logically it refers to the hyperlink inserted in the Interactive>hyperlink popup. It is quite easy when copying the hyperlink, to paste, to pick up the preceding or following space like anyone@hotmail.com  which then renders the hyperlink invalid, this does not easily jump out at you when looking at the pop up box, especially with following spaces.

This may not be your problem but may help others who like me read it wrong

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

4 hours ago, Lagarto said:

The mailto bug is now fixed in the latest beta 1.10.2.1167 apparently so that the compliance checkng routine has been dropped. This means that preceding and trailing spaces in the address part, and spaces and non-US-ASCII characters in the parameters parts no longer cause an error and accordingly PDFs get created (which is basically good since spaces at the start and end of the address would normally get trimmed off in the email client, anyway).

But as spaces in the address part now seem to be just percent encoded (meaning that spaces are accepted also in the middle of the address, so that " Jdoe @ acme.com " becomes %20Jdoe%20@%20acme.com%20, but would then subsequently cause email to fail when the mailto link is used and the address is passed to an email client. So the current routine does not sanitize the address and check its compliance, because addresses like j..döe @ acme.com (double dots, non-US characters and spaces in the address part) would be accepted.

But this is better than failing to create PDFs because of erroneous addresses (especially as the cause for the error was not displayed). I think that the ideal solution would be adding an option in the preferences for automatical address sanitazion (possibly so that erroneous addresses could also optionally be added as one of the prefllght checks).

Perhaps you should also mention that in the .1167 topic?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

41 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Sanitazing or a preflight warning would be a feature quest,

It's also a comment on the new implementation, which may be useful in making further improvements to the new code. Especially if the % encoding in the middle is an error for mailto addresses.

-- Walt
PC:

Thinking further, and with your examples, @Lagarto, I think it would be better to have a separate topic in the beta forum, rather than discussion mixed into the announcement topics.

-- Walt
PC:

3 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Probably so, but is it a bug, or is it just meant to be url-encoded (no more compliance check)? It might be a useful addition to preflight checks (optional and by default not turned on) to pay attention to at least addresses that have spaces in the address part, missing "at" sign, double dots and non-US-ASCII characters... But if it is necessary for creation of PDFs to url-encode mailto addresses, then I think this is fine as it is now so that emails as they are will be passed no matter what, and are in the format that technically works as a link in a PDF. If there are erroneous addresses, they are comparable to typos, broken Internet addresses etc.

I don't know. But a separate beta-forum topic discussing that would allow it to be explored properly.

-- Walt
PC:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.