You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Excluding pages from page counting on publisher

Hello, I often use publisher to design presentations and such.
The problem is, I create them alongside with a transcript, which is a separate slide next to it.
This breaks page counting, each visible slide increments by 2 instead of 1, as seen below

image.png.8411bb63e67f1c5a9d60f053867e2833.png

As I export in both formats (with or without the transcript), having the option to exclude specific pages (and odd/even pages) from the page counting would be nice

Pages ranges are a no-go, some sections use multiple slides, hence the intra-section page numbering still breaks

Cloning is probably also a no-go due to a bug with publisher, which currently prevents me from saving the document as an .afpub.... which coincidentally prevents cloning the whole project, unless there's a way to clone all the content and masters into a newly opened document?
I'll check tonight

Otherwise hard coding slide numbers might be the only way to go in my case due to this limitation, although it quite defeats the purpose of automated counting... And cumbersome when some slides needs to be added / removed / reordered somewhere in the middle

• Staff
20 hours ago, Eltech said:

Cloning is probably also a no-go due to a bug with publisher, which currently prevents me from saving the document as an .afpub.... which coincidentally prevents cloning the whole project, unless there's a way to clone all the content and masters into a newly opened document?

I can confirm this bug should be fixed in the 1.10.1 patch that was released yesterday, I recommend updating to this version when possible :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I can't help feeling, considering all the problems there seem to be trying to do this automatically, that it might be easier to just type the page numbers in individually! 😉

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

21 hours ago, Lagarto said:

How about exporting to PDF and placing PDF pages in the secondary Publisher presentation (as to be passed through)? I think that placing Publisher documents within Publisher documents, while sounding a nice idea (considering easy editability), might cause problems in how active publications might affect each other. I have witnessed e.g. problems where placed Designer pages have color changes when placed in Publisher document (meant to be used as such a container app that just arranges Designer documents), even when using equal color environment (color space and profile), explained by adjustments having kind of a duplicate effect.

tried that, but layers, texts, effects and such are lost or rasterized in the process
Way too time consuming if any further modifications are needed

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

I can confirm this bug should be fixed in the 1.10.1 patch that was released yesterday, I recommend updating to this version when possible :)

Nice, will do!

1 hour ago, PaulEC said:

I can't help feeling, considering all the problems there seem to be trying to do this automatically, that it might be easier to just type the page numbers in individually! 😉

Nope, if you add / remove / switch slides in the middle of the presentation, then you need to check manually every single number... which is fine for small amounts of slides,
but for instance, a few minutes ago, I've added a new slide right in the middle of 50 other slides. In such case, doing it manually is prone to human error and time-consuming, as such, a way to automate it would be useful!
But yeah, at the moment, I got no choice but to do it manually indeed

Off the top of my head is... don't do two page spreads.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I would do two documents then.

Actually I would do with out the page numbers.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I would do two documents then.

Actually I would do with out the page numbers.

Can't do without, my examinators use them for quick note taking during the presentation

But yeah, seems like temporarily cloning the whole document and removing half of it to export the right page numbering is the only way to go at the moment

24 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Why not use text frames linked with a Numbered List Paragraph Style flowing/begining in each new frame? (The only bad news is that you need to link them manually... but after that, type a space and a return and the numbers appear)

When you add pages, you just need to reflow few frames.

2021-08-26_205104.png.f4a38a2a7f467e2763d0ad253346cfd4.png

numPage_left.afpub

Oh that's a nice trick! Thanks!