You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[This is *not* a request for an Affinity animation or motion graphics app. Not that that wouldn't be nice! 👼]

Is anyone familiar with/have experience using Affinity Designer and DaVinci Resolve for 2D motion graphics? If so, are there tutorials, YouTube channels, or other resources you recommend that you could point me toward? (I know how to use Google and search, but if you've already waded through the resource morass and have some stuff bookmarked, that would be helpful!)

And my more general question is... Does anyone have any informed recommendations on the best mograph app to use alongside AD? I want to completely dump Adobe and right now AE is the only thing keeping me. A free option would be nice, but not if it sucks. So I'm interested in looking into paid (non-subscription) programs, too. I'm especially interested in anything that can support vectors, but I could do without if I had to.

Thank you!

(Hope this is in the correct subforum. If not, please move!)

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

I am going to guess that mograph is a short hand for Motion Graphics, AKA movies.

Vectors and movies don't really work together. The resulting file is pure raster (pixels), the conversion from vector to pixel happens really early on in the process. One thing I played about with a bit was the continuous export option in Designer, I output PNG files and then used Apple's Motion to string them together into a movie. Back and forth with changing things in the Designer files and then the export happens automatically. There is a program called Spine which has some feature that the continuous export feature in Designer and Photo can support.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I’m not sure what you mean by movies. I’m wanting to do animated infographics either over a static or video background.

AE supports vectors. That is, you can manipulate the nodes within AE. So I could copy and paste something I design in Illustrator into AE and it is fully editable.

I will look into Motion and Spine. Thank you!

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

• 3 months later...

Just a bit later.. As you are on a Mac, have a look at Apple Motion. It's not on par with Fusion or Aftereffects, but it's a very intuitive app for simple motion graphics.
And there is an (awkward) way to export Affinity elements to it (another two little apps and extra 30 EUR needed, though). Just used it today and it works, but direct export to Motion is still on my wish list..