You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Import Palette… - importing .ase and .aco files

When I import swatches using the “Import Palette…” item, I should be able to select palettes saved from Photoshop (ACO – Adobe Photoshop Color Swatch File) or Illustrator (ASE – Adobe Swatch Exchange File).

Are there foreign palette formats that AD can import? Maybe that information should be in the Open dialog box… or somewhere. (The Help Center doesn’t seem to do anything. I can search for a topic like “palette,” but can’t expand the results, so maybe the AD entries are just stubs?)

• 7 months later...

I'm also looking for the same feature.

I'm very new to the Affinity designer & digital designing in general. (Affinity is the reason I started creating art again).

I found an amazing artwork on dribbble and Instantly wanted to load that pallete and start creating but I couldn't.

Dribbble lets you download the pallete only in .aco and I'm sure so many designers would want that too.

• 7 months later...

I second that!

I was about to start the next icon in a series I was making and thought that finally the time had come for me to put AD to the my everyday life! 

So far I was only experimenting with it.

Then I realized I couldn't import my PS palette  - sounds silly I know... but if you have to manually copy a few dozens of colors, it's no longer fun 

Of course that goes both ways - If you (like me) have to still use PS but also wish to use also AD too on the same project, being able to import but also export palettes to PS format, is essential!

Hi F_Kal,

Currently Affinity apps are already able to import .ase palettes.

It 's not yes possible to export them (only our own .afpalette format).

That was so useful - I had the palette in .aso format and exported it to .ase - great!

@dizeyner: If you use PS/AI, you could open/import the swatches in Photoshop (and possibly Illustrator in a similar fashion) and from the Swatches menu icon choose -> Save Swatches for Exchange. This will give you an .ase file

Thank you @MEB

PS. I wouldn't had thought on my own that AD would support .ase but not .aso

PS. additionally I noticed a bug with the display of the palette thumbnail colors - they are off - but I'll post it in the bug section!

I just tried the aco to ase conversion and import. It brought in a totally different palette than the one I wanted and it took a full minute or so to import...

Any news on support for aco?

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 10:51 PM, retrograde said:

I just tried the aco to ase conversion and import. It brought in a totally different palette than the one I wanted and it took a full minute or so to import...

Any news on support for aco?

I used PS's ability to re-export the palette as a .ase file. - My palette also appeared "different" in the swatches panel, but on a second inspection it was only a presentation issue; when I checked the RGB color values, they were  as intended - is there a chance that you had the same issue as I did?

http://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/17212-color-thumbnails-in-swatches-are-inaccurate/

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It would be nice if affinity removes standard colors and deal only with global ones. So, when importing ASO, ASE... the colors automaticaly change into global colors.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 1 year later...

There is a free program called Cyotek Palette Editor, and the version 1.7+ includes support for exporting .ase files and importing .aco files. A full list of supported file types are listed here. The program is 100% free to use. 
https://www.cyotek.com/cyotek-palette-editor/downloads (Make sure you download a version 1.7+) (Windows Only)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...