You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there,

I'm using Affinity couple of weeks now and I am so glad that finally can move away from adobe... Thanks for that!!!

I'm using magic mouse which there is no scroll wheel and just touchpad. Main problem appear when I'm focus on bezier curves to trace from the photo for example. Many times I'm accidentally move position of canvas with my finger on mouse. That's quite annoying because it's simply remove my whole workspace while I have to be precise on anchor points. That's mean I have to undo and start again. I hope it's make sense. My question is, is it possible to switch off mouse touch "scroll" while working in affinity?

Another thing. If it's possible to snap to the curves, another object, like in ai?

Thanks,

Kris

• Staff

Hi Kris Kubik,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

No, it's not possible to turn off Magic Mouse's panning. It takes a little to get used to it in the begining but then it becomes natural. Give it a few more weeks and lets us know how it goes.

There's some options available for snapping with more improvements coming soon:

You can set them going to menu View ▸ Snapping Manager.... For more information on those settings check Affinity Designer Help ▸ Design Aids ▸ Snapping.

There's also local snapping options for the Pen and Node Tools available in the context toolbar in the Snap section (right above the work area). We can find more info about them in Affinity Designer Help ▸ Workspace ▸ Tools ▸ Design Tools ▸ Node Tool & Pen Tool.

Here's some video tutorials that may also help:

- Snapping for Creating and Editing Objects

- Snapping for UI and Web Design

• Staff

Hi Kris,

The Magic Mouse scrolling can be turned off, just not in Affinity.

System Preferences > Accessibility Mouse & Trackpad Mouse Options > Uncheck Scrolling

Obviously turning scrolling off in OS, all apps will be affected, but like MEB says it takes some getting used to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I am working with Affinity one year already. And I can't use to this.

I really hate when I touch, for example, font size with mouse and it automatically increases or decreases it because of Magic Mouse scroll. And similar situations. I want to be able just to change values in Affinity with a keyboard, not with a mouse!

That's not good solution in Affinity.

If you have another USB wired or Bluetooth mouse, with Left, Right buttons and scroll wheel available try them.  It took time for me to get 80% functionality with Magic Mouse.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

14 hours ago, Ivan Goran said:

That's not good solution in Affinity.

In my not so humble opinion, Apple's Magic Mouse is the worst possible choice for any kind of detailed or precise graphics work, precisely because the scroll function is way too easy to trigger accidentally. Do yourself a favor & try out just about any other mouse besides Apple's -- even the cheapest 2 button ones with a scroll wheel will save you many hours of frustration.

I use an expensive Kensington trackball as my everyday mouse substitute, but I also have a Logitech M535 as an alternative. Currently, it goes for slightly over $22 on Amazon US, but there are quite a few other sellers including local ones that sell it for around $25 or less.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7