You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Set custom default Develop preset when importing RAW

You should only have to select it once per tab. But you will need to first select Default, then the one you want, as there's a bug that displays the last-used preset in the dropdown, but does not apply it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

57 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You should only have to select it once per tab. But you will need to first select Default, then the one you want, as there's a bug that displays the last-used preset in the dropdown, but does not apply it.

Here on Mac I have never had to first choose the Default (or any other preset), I just choose the already chosen preset and its values are applied. Click on it, see the dropdown menu and release the mouse, values applied.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Imagine a scenario where you need to develop 200 time-lapse RAW images and want to apply same custom preset to it. If AF remembered last applied preset or you could overwrite the default one, you could use batch job for it. Opening every photo in develop persona and clicking twice or thrice on drop down menu is not very ideal solution. This should not be hard to implement and there have been people asking for it for some time.

34 minutes ago, Daniel Mikolajcak said:

Imagine a scenario where you need to develop....

I do not need to imagine. The current state of the Develop persona for raw files is effectively useless for much of my work. I have resorted to using (under protest and with much muttering and cursing) the software from Canon to develop my CR2 files when I need to. There is another piece of software that does some batch like stuff that helps too.

What really drives me up the wall with the way things are is that Affinity Photo has a Batch process ability. Photo's Develop Persona can remember named and saved settings and apply them to new raw files but the engineers have decided for what ever reason not to implement a bulk process for the Develop persona.

It is as though we have to process each image on a 36 exposure roll of 35mm film separately, take a 90 minute process and multiply it by 36.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.