You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No image shows up after opening RAW file

Just reporting this here, as I didn´t see mention of it yet, nor found any thread about it in this forum. I half expect the issue to be well known already though, so this is just in case it´s not.

I just noticed: when I set the RAW Engine to Apple (Core Image RAW), then open a RAW file, almost nothing shows up, but something either like an all black or a transparent canvas. It usually does not look like the correct size either, more like 4/3, but that aside. When I set RAW Engine back to Serif Labs, then reopen the same file, the image displays as usual. I checked only with files from two of my favourite cameras at this moment, a Sony A900 and a Fujifilm X-Pro1. Both show the same mishap but I didn´t check any other.

• Staff

Hi JasperD,

I've tried to open two sample images form those cameras (RAF and ARW) with Apple (Core Image RAW) and both are displaying correctly on my system (although they take a few seconds).

Can you please attach one of your own images here so i can check if i can open them here? I'm still not sure what's going on...

You can use this link to upload them directly to my Dropbox account.

Thanks.

Hi MEB, awfully nice from you to pick it up. I had already one in preparation for Jonas14, which is an X-Pro1 one. If you´d prefer one for the Sony A900, just let me know please. Just so you can see what I might be doing wrong my side, below is what I see with the Apple core selected, as a screen print for simplicity; notice the dark black border there, at the right side. Neither it nor the transparent canvas should be there though.

The Fuji RAW is coming your way right after this.

post-13590-0-65477400-1447346830_thumb.png

That works perfectly, I now see again what I hoped to see. However... the reset has the effect of also activating Serif Labs as the RAW Engine (checked that after it opened), it´s not Apple´s core. So I changed it of course, back to Apple (Core Image RAW), then canceled the develop stage, closed the file, opened it again (to have the last settings applied) and bingo: same disaster, partial transparent canvas with a black addition at the right side. Have a look at actual screen print of that below. I grabbed the histogram with it, as it shows accordingly.

To be honest, there would have been blood on my walls now, from banging head on it, if the reset had been all it took. There have been a few updates to other stuff the last few days, some quite heavy, I imagined one of them being the culprit. So I trashed AP and AD Betas, downloaded and installed them from scratch this morning.

I need to file a feature request BTW: for these Develop Assistant settings to possibly be enabled without any file open, so before loading any...  ;)

post-13590-0-31285500-1447350544_thumb.png

It´s no bother at all, I wish it had helped and I would be quite happy if it did!

Creating an addendum now, after checking exactly what you did, opening the first after the reset (so with the Serif Labs engine) and keep it open. Then changed the RAW Engine back to Apple´s and opened a few other files. I added five new ones. Four of them all show the same, like the first screen print below; note that there is no black right side ´border´ this time. The last one is in Portrait orientation, it shows part of the picture, on top! Partial success, so to speak.  :)

I´d be really surprised if it shows differently your side, when you perform these actions. I expect (and think) that the change of engine does not apply on an open picture. Loading files with that engine active shows confirmation of it and frankly, I wouldn´t like it to be any different (although I shall adapt if I must). 

post-13590-0-49577900-1447352586_thumb.png

post-13590-0-22188300-1447352607_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

1.3.5.10: sorry, now come the questions: Why does the image in Apple pictures differently (meant negatively - to contrast and much too dark), and when I open the picture in Affinity Developer, it looks right; only store makes it not...?? It is charged a completely different ICC profile???

a nice weekend

Joachim

post-5756-0-65765500-1448097925_thumb.png

post-5756-0-32825800-1448098097_thumb.png

I don´t know the answer to your question Joachim; I would like to see confirmation from a developer that this is the way as intended though. With the AppStore release, I use Adobe´s recommended ProPhoto RGB for all though - mainly because I´m sticking to PS at the moment - maybe try that?

I don´t have any success with Apple´s RAW engine though... Probably needless to say, but just in case: everything from PS CS6, via LR 4.4, Aperture 3.6, not to mention a few other quite heavy ones, all work perfectly OK (and a lot faster) on my older iMac. Really everything, as far as I am aware of it. Just not AP.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.