You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Locking gradiant

One thing I love about Affinity Designer is that the 3D effect and the Bevel/Emboss effect do not rotate when the shape itself is rotated. Regardless of the orientation of the object, they follow the orientation they are set to. The gradient effects, on the other hand, do not exhibit the same behavior. Is there a way to lock them so that they do not rotate? Or, is there a way to lock the regular object fill gradient so that it doesn't rotate with a shape? I know a work around is to place an object with a gradient inside of the object and lock the children but this is not effective with my use case where I need to make multiple copies of the same object and rotate it while keeping the gradient consistent. If I don't use a gradient, I can convert an object into a Symbol and duplicate it and place it in multiple areas in my project with different rotations. Without being able to lock the gradient or having to adjust each one individually it becomes very tedious.

Hi,

i don't expect that there is a build-in function in Designer.

If you rotate a rectangle of size w*h 3*1 by 90°, how should the gradient look when rotated? compressed by factor 3, of cropped to 1/3?

Assuming that the gradient should use the individual shape positions and stretch them individually (instead of a "global" gradient across the whole canvas)

I have a draft idea which might get into you intended direction:

• The document used a procedural texture filter to create a black to white gradient, at first across the whole document. It can be limited to the layers size with a trick using the mouse.
  • The document is currently limited to 100px (can be extended in a later version by adding a multiplier input)
  • When the PT filter UI is opened by double-clicking it in the layer stack, you can set the origin point. Its x-value is used as starting for the gradient, the y-value as endpoint (on x-axes).
  • A gradient map adjustment (or LUT for complex cases) can be added to change the B&W gradient to your target gradient.
  • When rotating the vector shape, the PT formula always keeps the gradient in horizontal direction / x-axis. If wanted, i can add input values to select any angle.
  • If someone finds the secret parameters that can provide the min/max x position of the nesting layer to the PT filter, it would be fully automatic.

locked gradient.afphoto

image.png.2b814d1fb34c124b8111092422f24ece.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Thanks. But... This is entirely too complicated for me to make use of this. This does exactly what I am looking for but I would want to create gradients that are more than just linear and I do not even know where to begin in the process of writing formulas for this.

• Staff

Hi @abject39 :)

Unfortunately as NotMyFault has mentioned, there isn't a built in version of this feature to the app currently, my apologies.

I will be sure to move this thread to the Feedback section of our forums, for our devs to see and consider adding this in a future version.

I hope this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)