You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Create new documents: only portrait presets

I think all that the Presets do is fill in the Layout panel. Your visual feedback there is the Portrait/Landscape button in that panel.

In any case, as with other Affinity Presets, I think that a change like that deselects the Preset completely on the Presets panel, because you're not using that Preset any more. It's not changing the Preset, and so having the Preset change orientation in the Presets panel would be inappropriate.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

a change like that deselects the Preset completely on the Presets panel

Of course, but the icon is still selected (!) and new users don’t think like machines but expect more usability and not only portrait formats. Affinity still had not time to create landscape formats (for A0, A1, A2, …)?

1 minute ago, Oval said:

Affinity still had not time to create landscape formats (for A0, A1, A2, …)?

Or they decided there's no need for them, because you can simply click the orientation button.

Also, the Preset list in that dialog is already very long, and adding landscape presets would make it worse without a complete redesign. And rather than them redesigning that dialog, i would prefer they spend their time fixing bugs and implementing new functions that are not already available simply by clicking a button.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Just now, Oval said:

But it is a bug because changing to landscape does not deselect the wrong portrait preset.

I may agree with that. At this point I'm not sure that any changes made in the Layout panel deselect the Preset in the Presets panel.

-- Walt
PC:

On the other hand, there's kind of a catch-22 situation for the application designers.

Consider brushes, for example. Users want to select a brush, then make some changes to it (width, hardness, ...) and they still expect the brush "preset" to appear selected in the Brushes panel. It's not, because they made changes, and it's no longer that brush any more.

So now we have the File > New dialog, and a Preset that remains selected when changes are made to it (as users want for Brushes), and we're complaining that it remained selected after we made changes. Basically, we're never happy.

-- Walt
PC:

41 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Consider brushes, for example. Users want to select a brush, then make some changes to it (width, hardness, ...) and they still expect the brush "preset" to appear selected in the Brushes panel. It's not, because they made changes, and it's no longer that brush any more.

It's a bad example. Any app will keep the brush selected, whatever the modifications you apply. If you want to memorise those modifications, you usually create a new brush. It's similar to real painting. Depending of tilting, angle, medium used, the same brush will give different strokes. But in the end you've got the same in the hand.

Brushes aren't selected in Affinity apps because they decided internaly to not used objects, but some sort of Pipette everywhere (but for paragraphes and characters styles). This means that when memorizing a brush, a style, etc., only the parameters are saved. They can be pasted on other objects, but there's no ID to link them to the objects they are pasted on.

So there's no way to modify a brush or a style, and have those modifications applied directly to the objects on which it was pasted.

On the long run, it's like a tool for children. There's no real interactivity. If you decide to modify a style/brush, you need to modify all the objects on which it was applied (vectors ones with proprieties). It's less problematic on "one shots" works, more when doing series (or you need to know from the beginning the exact result).

In a certain way, it's like "travailler à l'ancienne" (working the old-fashioned way), with paper and brushes or other permanent medium.

There's a lot of situations where it's not important... and as much when it is. In the end, it's like drawing: choose your tools correctly, or it'll take longer to finish a drawing using a Bic on a really large canvas.

4 hours ago, Oval said:

We still have the wrong visual presets if we change to landscape orientation … Feels like 1980 / a bug. Would be great if the visual presets (like A0, A1, A2, …) would change if the orientation is changed.

If not this, to be able to add presets in the right categories, with right icon for orientation.

Imagine people creating adds the whole day. Presets would be nice, if it was possible to save them in the Print or Web categories, with according portrait/landscape icon.

1 minute ago, Wosven said:

If not this, to be able to add presets in the right categories, with right icon for orientation.

I agree that the orientation in the My Presets panel should reflect the orientation of the page/document. I think there's already a Feature Request for that.

-- Walt
PC: