You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

set custom export preset - eigene Exportvorgabe erstellen

Hi all,

I want to set up my custom export preset - acccording to the help I can do this through the export option panel symbol. I am working in Export Persona and have a file opened. Selecting the symbol with the three horizontal lines left of x in the export options panel  I get three choices: create - delete  rename preset but unfortunately I cannot selet any of those.

Also when exporting through File/Export and More.... + manage plus manage presets I cannot select any option.

What am I missing?

PS: I searched the forum before asking and yes, I tried my best to get along wiith the help-manual....

exprt preset1.JPG

exprt preset2.JPG

------

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro --  10.0.2221 Build 22621 -  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 MHz, 6 Kern(e), 12 logische(r) Prozessor(en)  -  Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630  -  16 GB RAM

AF Photo, AF Designer, AF Publisher  - 2.0.0

--

Ventura 13.0.1  -  MacBook Pro  -   32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4  -  AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB

AF Photo, AF Designer, AF Publisher  -2.0.0

--

iPadOS 16.1 -   AF Photo 2.0.2.312, AF Designer 2.0.2.2, AF Publisher 2.0.2.1654

You need to alter any property to get access to this "Manage Preset" options. Currently you have the preset "JPEG (Best Quality)" selected – which is saved already and can't get deleted (like other default app-presets). As soon you alter any parameter to a non-saved setting the preset title field will appear empty.

Here the preset UI behaves different to the presets in the New… file options, were, for any confusing reason, a preset will still appear highlighted even if any of its parameters got altered. Hard to tell whether one of the ways is a bug or coded by design, respectively in purpose and according to the app's interface concept and its consistency approach.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

3 hours ago, thomaso said:

Here the preset UI behaves different to the presets in the New… file options

, were, for any confusing reason, a preset will still appear highlighted even if any of its parameters got altered. 

Another difference is if you do not change any new file parameters & click on the  button to create a new preset you get a "Cannot Add Preset" warning that helpfully tells you that a preset with the same properties already exists. So maybe something similar could be added to the Manage Presets button when trying to create export presets?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

13 minutes ago, R C-R said:

you get a "Cannot Add Preset" warning that helpfully tells you that a preset with the same properties already exists.

Relatively helpful. Why shouldn't I be allowed to replace an existing preset without the need for a new name? As for instance with Studio Presets:
(it feels as if 3 different teams were developing 3 different UI/UX, for whatever reason)

945376314_Bildschirmfoto2021-08-20um20_29_40.jpg.0481e551965cc3955b27bb55fc386dc8.jpg

3 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Why shouldn't I be allowed to replace an existing preset without the need for a new name?

I think I may have misunderstood what you mean here -- If you mean the built-in File > New presets (anything besides the custom ones added to "My Presets") what would be the point of replacing one of them with an identical version of that same preset? It isn't like Studio presets because AFAIK there are no builtin ones.

14 minutes ago, thomaso said:

(it feels as if 3 different teams were developing 3 different UI/UX, for whatever reason)

Yeah, I get the same feeling.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

If you mean the built-in File > New presets (...) what would be the point of replacing one of them with an identical version of that same preset?

Identical name & icon but adjusted parameters. (Why can't I alter at all any of the many New-file built-in-presets, e.g. just its colour or margins?)

For instance for export preset: If one prefers to use a default preset name (instead of increasing the list), e.g. just to reduce the "Downsample Above"-value / or the compression rate. No big thing indeed but sure a confusing UI inconsistency (…which may have caused this thread unnecessarily).

1289582790_exportpresetreplace1.jpg.d27785975703a9e3f75ac8f9bad19e9e.jpg

29724093_exportpresetreplace2.jpg.3ad6a0cc71e6a6226a7e2aebb58d1d3d.jpg

6 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Identical name & icon but adjusted parameters.

So basically you want to overwrite a built-in preset with one of your own? I don't think you can do that anywhere in the UI, probably because there is no way provided to restore built-in presets other than by drastic means.

Affinity Photo 

@ tomaso:

Dankeschön für die schnelle Hilfe, hat mir vorhin sehr geholfen!  (thx for quick help)

Barbara

------

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro --  10.0.2221 Build 22621 -  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 MHz, 6 Kern(e), 12 logische(r) Prozessor(en)  -  Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630  -  16 GB RAM

AF Photo, AF Designer, AF Publisher  - 2.0.0

--

Ventura 13.0.1  -  MacBook Pro  -   32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4  -  AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB

AF Photo, AF Designer, AF Publisher  -2.0.0

--

iPadOS 16.1 -   AF Photo 2.0.2.312, AF Designer 2.0.2.2, AF Publisher 2.0.2.1654

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

So basically you want to overwrite a built-in preset with one of your own? I don't think you can do that anywhere in the UI, probably because there is no way provided to restore built-in presets other than by drastic means.

In particular in the huge bunch of file presets in various chapters it would be helpful to alter the built-in presets without the need to create new ones. Even not only as single but all together, too. ("Do you really want to apply the changed properties to all presets?"). There is no reason for some settings to be fixed at their current, specific values, e.g. colour, margin and unit might differ among users and depend on user or user's client and/or service provider habits.

Technically custom presets are stored in a user folder while app/built-in presets are stored in the app file. So it wouldn't be of drastic means if a user saves a specif preset with the name of a built-in one – as long the app understands to distinguish them, e.g. by either hiding or visualizing differently. So the OP's issue would not need to occur at all.

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

So the OP's issue would not need to occur at all.

I do not understand what you mean. The OP just seems to be trying to save an existing JPEG preset as a custom one ... without making any changes to it.

Affinity Photo