You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add ability to scan directly in Affinity Photo

Serif have previously stated that the lack of scanning capability in Affinity Photo on Windows is due to the lack of 64-bit scanner driver support by the scanner manufacturers. Unless Windows provides better functions, or the scanner manufacturers provide better drivers, I doubt we'll see any changes in this area within Photo.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On PC. No Acquire Image in the File Menu. The help says to scanning is not supported.

"For Windows, Affinity Photo does not offer scanning directly from within the app. We recommend using your own scanner's software to acquire image."

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Serif have previously stated that the lack of scanning capability in Affinity Photo on Windows is due to the lack of 64-bit scanner driver support by the scanner manufacturers. Unless Windows provides better functions, or the scanner manufacturers provide better drivers, I doubt we'll see any changes in this area within Photo.

Neverthless I CAN scan directly into PS Cs3 on my 64 bit system. It may not be a 64bit image, but it's the workflow that's important. The twain scanner driver and software PS uses are better than the very basic Canon scanning utility in Windows.

1 hour ago, Catshill said:

... use scanner software and open the image in Affinity. 

My point is that, if properly configured, the saved scanned image will automatically open in Affinity Photo. If you have both the scanner software and Photo open, then the transfer from one to the other is smooth. Almost, but not quite, as smooth as having Acquire Image in Photo.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

It's a brilliant workaround. I found that by default my Canon scanner is set to idiot mode - automatically choosing jpeg, standard quality and sent to Documents(?!?!?), but once I went deeper into the settings I found I was able to set what I wanted to do with the scanned image.

On my Canon TS6050 scanner I had to select the Scangear option, instead of selecting "Photo". That allowed me to change to TIFF or no compression jpeg and then send to Affinity Photo. In the Scangear I had to first add Affinity Photo as an Open With program (In my Windows 10 Affinity Photo exe is in Programs, not Programs 86. I also had to make sure that checked Preview so I could see what was being scanned. However, having done all that, I'm pretty much back to where I was with Photoshop ☺, the main difference is that I have to choose where I want to save the 'document' before the image opens in Affinity. So long as I set that to Desktop, I can then work away in Affinity, save the result wherever I want and then delete the desktop file when I'm done.

It's not quite as smooth as going straight into Affinity, but it works. I believe the phrase 'happy bunny'. Thanks John.

On 8/20/2021 at 8:31 AM, John Rostron said:

My point is that, if properly configured, the saved scanned image will automatically open in Affinity Photo. If you have both the scanner software and Photo open, then the transfer from one to the other is smooth. Almost, but not quite, as smooth as having Acquire Image in Photo.

John

I agree that would be good IF your scanner allows a document to be automatically opened after scanning.  I am unable to find such a function for the Epson Scan 2 tool.

5 hours ago, Catshill said:

I agree that would be good IF your scanner allows a document to be automatically opened after scanning.  I am unable to find such a function for the Epson Scan 2 tool.

The automatically opening is nothing too do with the scanner. It is a property of the Operating System. You need to configure your Default Programs in the OS, so that the default program to open .tif files is Photo.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

34 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

so that the default program to open .tif files is Photo.

But that will only apply if something (the scanner program?) performs an Open. It won't happen if the scanner just does a Save.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

48 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

But that will only apply if something (the scanner program?) performs an Open. It won't happen if the scanner just does a Save.

It does for me. If I save from VueScan or Silverfast, it automatically opens in Affinity Photo.

John

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

But that will only apply if something (the scanner program?) performs an Open.

Scanners can  do this with a command line if apps are filled in the  preferences. They can have by default buttons to scan and send by email, open by app... 

For this they should be connected to the PC that handle them, of course, not one dedicated partly to this and saving on a server folder, so people could access the files later.

1 hour ago, Wosven said:

Scanners can  do this with a command line if apps are filled in the  preferences. They can have by default buttons to scan and send by email, open by app... 

For this they should be connected to the PC that handle them, of course, not one dedicated partly to this and saving on a server folder, so people could access the files later.

I have not seen anything like this in the  documentation for either VueScan or SiverFast. I have used the software that came with my scanner.

John

8 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I have not seen anything like this in the  documentation for either VueScan or SiverFast. I have used the software that came with my scanner.

I thought you had previously said you used VueScan, John. And it certainly has a setting for this, where you can choose to view images using either the default viewer for them or a specific program. But the defaults are not to do that.

Here's the setting, if changed from that default value:

image.png.f38051b8342f821ecc0aaaa1de8e0eec.png

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, Wosven said:

@walt.farrell, I was just in the process of amending my post. There is indeed that facility in VueScan, but as your post indicates, the default is to do as I describe above.

John

22 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

but as your post indicates, the default is to do as I describe above.

No, the default is to do nothing.

You have to change the default Preference to get it to Open the file for external viewing.

-- Walt
PC:

The ability to scan and have the result open automatically in an application requires scanning software that supports this functionality. It’s certainly possible with my Canon scanner but not my Epson scanner. Windows 10 by itself is not able to do this.

15 hours ago, John Rostron said:

The automatically opening is nothing too do with the scanner. It is a property of the Operating System. You need to configure your Default Programs in the OS, so that the default program to open .tif files is Photo.

John

Incorrect. Opening after scanning is a function of the scanner software. Some support it, others do not.

OK, I stand corrected. But the scanner software has that ability, and it relies on the default program defined in the operating system to open the image.

John

I have just tried a SilverFast scan. I have not used this for some time (I have more-or-less done scanning my slide collection) and it did not open Affinity automatically. I can find nothing in the SilverFast documentation which covers opening in an external program.

My original assertion was made because I found that my saved tif images from VueScan opened automatically in Affinity Photo without me having to do anything in VueScan.

My recollection (not as reliable as it used to be) is that the same happened in SilverFast. In recent years I have had a new version of Windows (10) and of both VueScan and SilverFast.

John

I contacted SilverFast and discovered that it does have the same property:

Please go to the SilverFast Preferences and check the box "Show image after scan" and select the program you wish to see the scan in through the box on then right.

On my system it was like this:

Preferences.png.32827dd1e0014ee98d865ce5aca64ca3.png

You need to restart SilverFast for this to take effect though.

John