You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Zoom out = Fail!

Hey guys, 

when you push „space“ and „command“ you get „+“, right? then, when you click the mouse, you can zoom-in on a point, right?. but when you want to zoom out the same way, it is not on the point you want to zoom-out but somewhere strange. it does not work for me. but logically it should, right!?

strangely enough it works if you work in master pages. 

thanks!

greg 😃

hi @Gabe

in my document, which is normally an indesign-document, which i saved as idml for using it in publisher, it is not possible to zoom out with

„Space + ALT + click“

in the same way backwards as you would zoom in by clicking

„Space + CMD + click“

it is working just in the masterpages. 

thx. g*

• 1 month later...

I find the same thing with both new documents and old. Ctrl+Space then clicking to zoom in works as expected, zooming in to the point the cursor is clicked. Ctrl+Alt+Space then clicking to zoom out doesn't work as expected, it seems to zoom out and scroll down the document rather than keeping the point where the cursor is as the focus point. 

I was having this issue in previous versions of Publisher and thought the new 1.10.1 release might have fixed it but still seems to be doing the same. I've attached a screen recording using AP v1.10.1.1142 on Windows 10 (Version 10.0.19043) for you @Gabe

Is this a bug or intended behaviour? 

On 8/20/2021 at 6:36 AM, Gabe said:

Any chance you can do as screen recoding of this please? Make sure you start the recoding before you start Publisher. 

I was able to duplicate this on a Mac with a new document. It's just the keyboard shortcut. If you zoom in and out by selecting the Zoom tool it works perfectly. If you hold down Space and then press Cmd it temporarily switches to Zoom and you can click in correctly. If you hold down Space and then press Option it temporarily switches to Zoom Out and clicking will zoom out incorrectly.

I didn't even know about this shortcut and note that you can't press Cmd or Option +Space at least on my Mac it won't work, Space has to be pressed first and then I can press the modifier*. But regardless, the zoom out function seems to use the bottom of the viewport as the target rather than the Y location of the mouse click - the X location is okay.

* Cmd+Space = Spotlight Search on my Mac. Opt+Space gives me a system beep. This is why I have to press Space first which means I can't use this shortcut when a text frame is selected. I don't really care though, I'm old school and am used to pressing Z for Zoom but most times I zoom with my trackpad these days.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

20 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

* Cmd+Space = Spotlight Search on my Mac. Opt+Space gives me a system beep. This is why I have to press Space first which means I can't use this shortcut when a text frame is selected. I don't really care though, I'm old school and am used to pressing Z for Zoom but most times I zoom with my trackpad these days.

We can't use any shortcut to switch tools when the text caret is in the text.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

For me, I recreated by creating a simple 2 page document. With the first page "selected" in the Pages panel, Zoom key command work as expected on both pages. However, with the second page "selected" in the Pages panel, Zoom key commands are all wonky.

macOS 10.14.6

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

I was able to duplicate this on a Mac with a new document. It's just the keyboard shortcut. If you zoom in and out by selecting the Zoom tool it works perfectly. If you hold down Space and then press Cmd it temporarily switches to Zoom and you can click in correctly. If you hold down Space and then press Option it temporarily switches to Zoom Out and clicking will zoom out incorrectly.

Yep, I must admit I hadn't tested it against zooming out by first pressing Z for the zoom tool and then holding Alt to get to Zoom Out. When I do that it works like a charm. Like MikeTo said it's only when using the keyboard shortcut that things go wonky. Did wonder if that shortcut is not intended to be used in Publisher, but the same shortcut in Designer works as expected. 🤷‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...