You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am having trouble removing and adding crop presets. I know that you go to custom ratio type in the desired ratio and then save it as a preset. After doing this the preset doesn't work and reverts to an unconstrained ratio. At first I couldn't select the faulty presets but after restarting the program I can put a checkmark next to the names.  Even though I can select the presets and click "delete preset" the preset doesn't disappear. 

Help is appreciated.

Ciao ragazzi,

anche io ho problemi con lo strumento Ritaglia (Crop tool). se imposto un rapporto predefinito, l'area di ritaglio non tiene fisso il rapporto. per i Preset invece, non riesco ad aggiungerli e a cancellarli (imposto il valore di preset nella finestra che si apre, questo viene salvato ma se lo seleziono non succede nulla). sono errori miei di utilizzo?

Grazie mille!

• 2 months later...

Hi, i'm using version 1.4.1. of AP, but still having this same problem with saving and/or deleting cropping presets.  It just works completely erratically and makes the crop tool useless for me as i need to crop a LOT of images to predefined dimensions or aspect ratios for use in websites.

I love the app, really, but fast and precise cropping at predefined aspect ratios is 80% of what i use it for and thus this bug makes the AP useless for me.

Can you please provide some insight as to when we can expect this to be fixed??

Feedback would be much appreciated.

• Staff

Hi zitemedia,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Before creating a new preset make sure you select one of the three Modes (Original Ratio, Custom Ratio or Absolute dimensions) at the top of the dropdown. This works correctly.

Don't create a preset with unconstrained mode selected as this leads to the issue described by the OP. This issue is already logged.

Hi MEB, thx for getting back to me. I think that's what i always did so far, i started of from Custom Ratio actually as none of the existing presets was matching the dimensions i needed.

Now, i've tried again following each of your steps, one by one, and it seems i succeeded :)

What happened a lot is that it created a preset based on the dimensions it was already into, instead of the dimensions i wanted to achieve and had entered in the width & height boxes.

HOWEVER, i also think i get where a lot of the confusion comes from. Apparently i can't get to delete any of the presets i've ever created.  So as long as these remain there, it'll be though to test it out and to understand wether what i wanted to achieve actually worked.

So how do i delete these? Please provide step by step instructions.  Thank you.

It's a shame the tool is so confusing, really. The Photoshop crop tool is so simple to use, even the Lightroom one i can do with, but this is really the only thing or tool about Affinity Photo that makes me frown and irritates me again and again.  

It's even gotten so far i downloaded the "Photocrop PRO" app from the App Store as it's still waaaay easier and quicker for me to do it that way - outside of Affinity Photo.  And that shouldn't be the case really, as i simply love Affinity Photo for everything else it offers and the way it does things.

Sorry, had to say it. It's a forum actually and definitely meant to be constructive.  Hope u understand.

• Staff

Hi zitemedia,

To remove the Crop Presets do the following:

Press and hold ⌃(ctrl) while launching Affinity Photo, then check Reset Crop Tool Presets. Make sure all the rest is unchecked and press Clear. It should remove all Crop presets.

No worries :) You are not the only one having issues with the Crop Tool. We appreciate all feedback, good or bad. It helps us to continuously improve and refine the app.

Thanks for your support.