You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Major Loss in detail when using Rasterize, Merge Visible and Export

Afinity Photo version 1.10.0

iPad Pro (2018 Version)

IOS 14.71

Since a recent update when I export or try to raterize image layers my photos have a major loss of quality. This also happens when I use the merge visible function.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EF1ZKXP0o_S0W6tF9ZmSP9CpgBCsiFBq/view?usp=drivesdk Using google drive because the upload kept failing here

I have included a copy of a recent project file. The topmost layer is my result when I use the merge visible function. The same loss in quality also happen when i export or rasterize layers together.

my current (bad) workaround has been to double my image size before exporting. Im running out of hdd space real fast 🤣

While testing this bug I found that if my canvas size was dramatically smaller (i did a major crop on this project file) the same issue was not present.

Please fix ❤️ I love using AfinityPhoto on my ipad so very much!

• Staff

Hey BenjiBabe, welcome to the forums :)

I've tried making this from scratch but I'm failing. However, using your file I can clearly see the difference after the merge.

How are you cutting the face out? Are you using the Refine feature? What settings are you using?

Hi,

i cannot spot any difference between the „background“ and „merged“ layers. Except at  the edges, but this is caused by partial transparency.

never the less, some problematic observations:

• The layers use fractional values for x/y position (move tool, transform panel). This is a prime source for blurry images.
  • Resizing images is another potential cause for blurriness. Could you provide the image before resizing?
  • It is known from other posts that especially resized layers and merge down lead to unwanted blurriness.
  • Your file is >200 MB. If i copy the background layer and create a new file from the clipboard, merge visible and add the 2 filter layers, the result is 49MB. 

To investigate deeper

• could you please provide additional screenshots:
    • use 100% zoom
    • use png format (uncompressed)
    • use full screen capture. All elements must stay at absolute identical positions
    • 1: the state before merge where the image looks sharp
    • 2: the state after merge visible where the image looks blurry.
    • 3: please include the complete layer stack panel

8B9CFCBB-82DF-4B76-B0CA-D7825002EE10.jpeg

Edited by NotMyFault

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I have exactly the same problem!

Very significant problems were found when working with layers.  Namely, there is a noticeable decrease in the quality of the picture when mixing a layer with the previous layer.  The top layer can be anything.  It can be a layer to enhance the definition of a high pass, or just a part of a copied image or a copy of a layer with an effect.  It does not matter in which mode I will combine the layers, but always the lower final layer after that becomes more blurred and loses clarity at its borders.  Moreover, this happens after each next mixing.  Thus, applying 3-4 layers on top when retouching a portrait, as a result, I get a noticeably blurry picture.  This is a critical issue that essentially leads to abandonment of the application!  This urgently needs to be corrected!

I am using ipad pro 12.9 III 1Tb. 14.7.1 OS update.  Afinity photo 1.10

57A72198-8DC9-4279-A405-392A5291EAF2.png

7E532B22-0507-4B6A-A53D-CDADC7D2442D.png

A36F96A9-82C8-497D-8DD4-BB6CE02B6ED6.png

This happens in all pictures of different resolutions.  Detail is always lost when merging layers!  This can be more or less noticeable when viewing the full size of the picture, but when you enlarge a fragment, it is clearly noticeable!  It's also worth noting that when adding a high pass layer, there should be an increase in clarity and detail, but as soon as I apply layer merge, the detail drops!  It looks like nonsense and it is impossible to work like that!

That’s very sad. After a few months working in affinity now I think to switch back to photoshop. I was so happy that there is an alternative to a computer and a full version to a tablet. But at the moment it is impossible to work normally in affinity and this is sad. All imported brushes do not work correctly. Settings are not saved, the application constantly crashes. I really like what affinity does, but apparently it's time to admit to myself that the program is not intended for work yet. My productivity has dropped. It now takes twice as long to create a simple cover. And now I get nervous all the time when I work. But I still cling to the hope that the development team will fix all the bugs. It is a pity that they do not have time to respond to the community, at least briefly: they say we know about the problems and we are working. This is the worst thing when you do not understand whether the developers do not care about hectares of users or they are simply burning at work trying to eliminate all the shortcomings.

3 часа назад Юлия04 сказала:

Это очень печально. После нескольких месяцев работы в родстве сейчас я думаю вернуться в фотошоп. Я был так рад, что есть альтернатива компьютеру и полная версия планшету. Но на данный момент невозможно нормально работать в родстве и это печально. Все импортированные кисти работают неправильно. Настройки не сохраняются, приложение постоянно вылетает. Мне очень нравится, что делает аффинити, но видимо пора признаться себе, что программа еще не предназначена для работы. Моя производительность упала. Теперь создание простой обложки занимает в два раза больше времени. И теперь я постоянно нервничаю, когда работаю. Но я все равно цепляюсь за надежду, что команда разработчиков исправит все баги. Жаль, что у них нет времени откликнуться на сообщество, хотя бы кратко: говорят, что мы знаем о проблемах и работаем. Это самое страшное, когда не понимаешь, не волнуют ли разработчики гектары пользователей или они просто горят на работе, пытаясь устранить все недостатки.

I have absolutely the same situation! 😕

@GRONDThank you for uploading the images.

I fully understand and share your frustration.

Only Affinity might be able to solve the underlying issue.

Until then you may change your workflow to avoid the issue:

1. I can reproduce the issue when i use pixel-layers which got scaled, or moved by fractional pixels.
  2. If i rasterize the layer after scaling / moving, the issue does not occur
  3. I can avoid the issue by using „merge visible“ instead of „merge down“

Would it be a viable option for you to not use merge down?

Again, this is only proposed as a workaround, it’s no permanent  solution or bugfox.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

9 hours ago, GROND said:

This happens in all pictures of different resolutions.  Detail is always lost when merging layers!  This can be more or less noticeable when viewing the full size of the picture, but when you enlarge a fragment, it is clearly noticeable!  It's also worth noting that when adding a high pass layer, there should be an increase in clarity and detail, but as soon as I apply layer merge, the detail drops!  It looks like nonsense and it is impossible to work like that!

Can you provide the .afphoto file with the layers intact?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

This is clearly a bug that multiple people are experiencing. Im not sure if I can help more by posting screenshots. People have been able to reproduce the bug with my .afphoto that i supplied in the initial post. I think this is one for the developers to fix.

2 hours ago, BenjiBabe said:

This is clearly a bug that multiple people are experiencing. Im not sure if I can help more by posting screenshots. People have been able to reproduce the bug with my .afphoto that i supplied in the initial post. I think this is one for the developers to fix.

I agree. Did the suggested workaround from NoyMyFault resolve the issue for you? In the interim it seems an easy fix.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

On 8/22/2021 at 1:24 PM, NotMyFault said:

@GROND

1. I can reproduce the issue when i use pixel-layers which got scaled, or moved by fractional pixels.
  2. If i rasterize the layer after scaling / moving, the issue does not occur
  3. I can avoid the issue by using „merge visible“ instead of „merge down“ 

36 minutes ago, DM1 said:

I agree. Did the suggested workaround from NoyMyFault resolve the issue for you? In the interim it seems an easy fix.

I tried these methods on the photo which I attached screenshots.  Yes - it worked.  After I rasterized all the layers, the merging happened without any loss of detail.  Also, the visible layers merged without loss of detail.  It's good that the merged layers are created as a separate layer and do not disappear.  However, this is an extreme measure.  But in another photo, the method of rasterizing the layers did not work and I got a loss in quality.  The only thing that worked on it was the way all the layers were merged.  I will also test it on other photos and where it will be repeated I will attach this file here.  Again, I want to note that these methods are an extreme measure because these actions can be confusing and you have to constantly carefully check whether there has been a loss of quality or not.