You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Power Duplicate in Affinity Photo

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Wouldn't it be just as natural & perhaps even more logical to do the transform in the panel with that name? 

I ran into this issue when I needed to visually align the first duplicate with an existing object on the canvas.  It would not be natural or logical to try to do that using the Transform panel.

7 hours ago, Pšenda said:

You must select Move Tool before duplication starting - Move Tool. select object/layer, Duplicate, Transform, Duplicate.

That may work, except the Help says Duplicate, Activate the Move Tool, Drag.

6 hours ago, Pšenda said:

So you have to request it as significant improvement (in the suggestions section). For me, selecting the Move tool before doing the transformation is a natural and logical step, so I have no problem with it at all.

P.S. As is often the case - Help would need to be supplemented, because the current description of Power duplicate does not mention the need for the Move/Transformation tool in any way, and it can be quite confusing for many users.

Yep, color me confused, I assure you that happens often!  I followed the instructions in the Help and it didn't work.  I'll accept this as a deficiency in the Help file, but I'd prefer it worked as stated:
Create
Duplicate
Activate Move tool (it's actually more logical to me to click on Move here), transform in any way possible (drag, transform panel, etc.)
Duplicate as required

16 minutes ago, Lem3 said:

I ran into this issue when I needed to visually align the first duplicate with an existing object on the canvas.  It would not be natural or logical to try to do that using the Transform panel.

Yes, it would not be very practical to try to use the Transform panel for that, but consider for instance wanting to evenly space 11 shapes around some center point, like in this power rotate.afphoto example, where I just entered "360/11" in the R field of the Transform panel for the first dup & then power duplicated that to get exactly 11 evenly spaced arrow shapes.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, Lem3 said:

That may work, except the Help says Duplicate, Activate the Move Tool, Drag.

Where is it stated like this?

Screenshot_2022-07-22-07-50-55.thumb.png.99cbcdb69d8fdf6aba0db0f42b706b96.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

As in other cases, the help is not 100% accurate. It actually misses the important first step (activate move tool).

Step 3 can be misinterpreted in the way @Lem3 did (as i did, too).

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

6 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

As in other cases, the help is not 100% accurate. It actually misses the important first step (activate move tool).

It is not necessary to have the Move Tool active to do this. For example, create a new shape, say a Triangle, making sure "Select New Object" is ticked in the context toolbar, & duplicate it. Note that in the Transform panel you can change its width, height, rotation, skew, etc. Change any of those transformations & you can start power duplicating.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

23 hours ago, R C-R said:

It is not necessary to have the Move Tool active to do this. For example, create a new shape, say a Triangle, making sure "Select New Object" is ticked in the context toolbar, & duplicate it. Note that in the Transform panel you can change its width, height, rotation, skew, etc. Change any of those transformations & you can start power duplicating.

Your steps do not match the steps from the help file at all. It describes another (undocumented) edge case.

The help file starts with „select one or more objects or groups“. If you have any other too except move tool (or vector shape tool) active while selecting objects (in the layer stack), before you duplicate, power duplicate will not work.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

2 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

The help file starts with „select one or more objects or groups“.

But it doesn't specify how that selection can be made, so that does not rule out selections made in the Layers panel. As for the tools that allow you to use the Transform panel being edge cases or exceptions, that includes 19 shape tools, the Contour Tool, & the Move Tool, so it applies for about half the tools, more or less.

In addition to that, even when using the Move Tool, it is not necessary to select it first. That can be done after a selection is made on the Layers panel.

So i think the help is not inaccurate, just not as complete as it could be.

Affinity Photo