You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Crash when opening .tif

I changed the extention to jpg. Photo tells that file type is not suportet, but Photoshop open the file w/o hazzel. 

What puzzles me is that in xnview it shows the format as TIFF (jpeg) and the compression as jpeg. Normal is LZW or ZIP, isn't it?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

7 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey Julian, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

It crashes for me too. 

It looks like a scan of some sort - any idea where or what it came from?

Hey Chris, thanks for your reply. It is a scan of a exposed and developed film that I made myself and sent it to my email. Usually, I do as a .pdf but as the printer/scanner (the big ones people have at companies) provides .tif I thougt that might be the better option.

I was a bit upset after both newly aquired software crashed when opening it

3 minutes ago, JulianBehr said:

Usually, I do as a .pdf but as the printer/scanner (the big ones people have at companies) provides .tif I thougt that might be the better option.

Sometimes the scanner will have multiple TIFF options, and one will with better than the other.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, Komatös said:

I changed the extention to jpg. Photo tells that file type is not suportet, but Photoshop open the file w/o hazzel. 

What puzzles me is that in xnview it shows the format as TIFF (jpeg) and the compression as jpeg. Normal is LZW or ZIP, isn't it?

Hi Komatös (nice username btw :D). What is LZW? As described above, I scan the films on a scanner (its a Kyocera TASKalfa) and send it to my work email. I mean, Photopreview of Windows can open it and I can easily put it in ImageJ and Powerpoint. Why should a professional software crash?

11 minutes ago, JulianBehr said:

Hi Komatös (nice username btw :D). What is LZW? As described above, I scan the films on a scanner (its a Kyocera TASKalfa) and send it to my work email. I mean, Photopreview of Windows can open it and I can easily put it in ImageJ and Powerpoint. Why should a professional software crash?

My copy of Photoshop won't open it either, complains that "it is not the right kind of document".

Hey guys,

short update. I tried this morning to open the files in different software and got the following results

Photoshop CS6: "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document"

Illustrator CS6: "The file is not readable"

FIJI: "ImageJ cannot open TIFF files compressed in this fashion (6)"

Anyway, it is possible to drag and drop it into Microsoft Office applications. @walt.farrell, I checked the scanner (for those interested its a Kyocera TASKalfa 5551ci) for different .tiff formats but there aren't any.

Thus, it is apparently the file format, which is causing the issue but I don't think JPEG or PDF are good alternatives. Does someone, who is more experienced with file formats has any good solution for this issue?

3 hours ago, JulianBehr said:

but I don't think JPEG or PDF are good alternatives.

If the scanner offers them, you might as well try them. It sounds like the TIFFs that it creates are basically JPG quality anyway.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, Komatös said:

If you do want to use TIFF files, use xnview for example and convert them to uncompressed TIFFs. Keep in mind, however, that this will increase the file size. Your example file is about 13 times larger after conversion.

Do you print the files directly to a printer or do you pass the files on a storage medium?

If you print yourself, you can also convert the files using lossless compression (LZW or ZIP).

Thank you very much! That solved my problem! And finally (even though the image is nothing special) I can start some testing around with Affinity Photo 🤗 

@Chris B how is stuff in the forum generally handled? Are the topics going to be closed, is it staying forever or do I have to delete it?

1 hour ago, Subclavius said:

I was able to open the file successfully using Microsoft Paint and  then do a 'Save As' to a tiff file.  This new tiff file opens successfully in APhoto but the size is significantly larger (18.4MB) than the original (2.38MB) so clearly some compression has been applied to the original scan.

And also thanks @Subclavius, your method worked for me as well :)

Have a nice week.

Cheers

Julian

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the forums @Jakob.,

Is it crashing when you're trying to load a Tif file? That's what this subject title is discussing. IF not, can you provide as much of a detailed explanation of what you're doing when it crashes? Screenshots and screen recordings help troubleshoot issues, so it would be great if you could provide them.

Also could you check for dmp files that are generally created when an app crashes?

You might also try disabling Hardware Acceleration/OpenCL in preferences.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD