You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need help resolving a display issue with Affinity Photo & Designer 1.9.2 on Windows 10

After installing version 1.9.2 of Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer, I began experiencing UI display issues when interacting with UI controls. Attached are two images showing some of the issues encountered with Affinity Designer 1.9.2 on Windows 10.

• The display issues only occurs when interacting with UI elements containing text labels, such as menus, select lists, etc.
  • The issues first presents when the UI element gains focus. Once focus moves to another UI element, sometimes the display is restored, other times it remains in a corrupt state (see second Document Setup Dialog image).
  • The issue only occurs with Affinity Photo and Designer. I have not tried Affinity Publisher.
  • The issue has not occurred in other Windows applications such as MS Excel, MS Word, JetBrains PhpStorm, Windows 10, or Adobe Acrobat.
  • My OS is 64-bit Windows 10 Professional version 20H2 (OS build: 19042.1165).
  • The issue does not occur with Affinity Designer 1.9.3 or Affinity Photo 1.9.3 on Mac OSX.

I uninstalled version 1.9.2 and reinstalled the prior Windows versions and the problem now presents with the older versions as well.

I thought it may be a Windows UI font is missing or corrupt, but I have not been able to identify which font(s) they may be. If I knew which fonts were used for the Affinity applications, I could check/test those fonts and reinstall them if missing/corrupt.

Any other recommendations on resolving the issue would be appreciated! 

print-dialog.PNG.e864c63a96b81da6c38ff37664b13aeb.PNGdocument-setup-dialog.png.a95996610db2e38bdb118f9386c0bbb9.png

Check the list of third-party programs that are known to cause problems, and pay special attention to Nahimic (which may appear under one of several names, and may only be visible as a Windows Service, not as an installed program):

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

... pay special attention to Nahimic ...

Walt,

Thanks for sharing the link to that post!

The culprit appears to have been the Nahimic service. I stopped and disabled the service from running automatically, and everything worked as expected with both Designer and Photo. After testing, I uninstalled Sonic Studio, which I don't use, restarted Windows, and all is well. 

I appreciate the quick response!

Best regards,
Rob