You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to apply a color spectrum to an object?

I need to apply a color spectrum to an object - a pixel layer in this case. I am fine applying a chosen single color, but how would I apply a 'rainbow' effect to an object?

Being able to choose the gradations - whether color or greyscale would be useful.

Thanks

If it's APhoto, use the gradient tool. Create colour stops where you need them and adjust the colours accordingly. I would practice with a Fill Layer as the effect stays live, with a Pixel Layer it's baked in and can't be changed. After you've made the gradient it can be added to the swatch panel, 

RainbowGradient.jpg

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

23 minutes ago, Gremriel said:

Have you tried the Fill Tool? It allows you to place stops and assign a different color to them.

I barely know the basics tbh, so do not know how to carry out the operation you describe. Can you lay out the steps? Thanks in advance

22 minutes ago, David in Яuislip said:

If it's APhoto, use the gradient tool. Create colour stops where you need them and adjust the colours accordingly. I would practice with a Fill Layer as the effect stays live, with a Pixel Layer it's baked in and can't be changed. After you've made the gradient it can be added to the swatch panel, 

RainbowGradient.jpg

It's a pixel layer, not a photo. So I can't make the adjustment?

3 minutes ago, gumbo23 said:

It's a pixel layer, not a photo. So I can't make the adjustment?

By APhoto I meant Affinity Photo, you didn't mention which program you're using. Have a look in the Help, it's quite comprehensive for gradients

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

8 minutes ago, gumbo23 said:

You mean the help on the men bar?

Or the online Help. https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html
Just type gradient into the search box.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

29 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Or the online Help. https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html
Just type gradient into the search box.

Again - not having the basics down, I'm struggling to work through this. I've tried using the gradient tool and gradient maps, but they do not affect the object in question.

I have taken a jpg, erased white background, and been left with a background pixel layer, with my object. I cannot seem to affect the color of this object at all. How do I do this?

Looks like you have all the elements already in your document - here's a screen recording which will hopefully, help you 

Just to clarify you can use anything as a mask by just dragging it to right of the layer or group 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

3 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Looks like you have all the elements already in your document - here's a screen recording which will hopefully, help you 

Just to clarify you can use anything as a mask by just dragging it to right of the layer or group 

This is excellent - thanks so much. Between all you guys on the thread I got the job finished. Much appreciated :)