You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The saliva squid

giantlobsterprd

Another experiment in lo-fi effects. AD more than holding its own at this point, despite me probably pushing my luck with file complexity  :D

---

Dan Robinson  |  Giant Lobster Productions Ltd

Web: giantlobster.uk

Instagram: @giantlobsterprd

"Art is never finished – only abandoned." - LdV

Looks great! Would love to see wireframes :)

Another experiment in lo-fi effects. AD more than holding its own at this point, despite me probably pushing my luck with file complexity  :D

attachicon.gifspace2.png

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Awesome stuff! Echoing everything everyone else has said, the colours and half toning is excellent. Great work

George

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

You are a real professional, Dan! 

How can I achieve halftoning in Affinity Designer?

...by copying and pasting loads of tiny dots and crossing your fingers that your computer doesn't burst into flames

---

@giantlobster, OMG, that's amazing, and what I feared you did! How is the performance? What Mac are you on? Did you let any smoke out of the chips?  :P

That's some serious detail, a feast for the eyes! If I may ask: other than not wanting to give up vector purity / scalability / quality, if you had to do this illustration all over, would you construct it the same way or would you try AD's Pixel persona and appropriate halftone brushes and/or halftone layers clipped to the original vector shapes?

Curious about your thoughts... either way, great work!

Your wish is my command. Ugly-ass wireframe enclosed...

attachicon.gifspace_wf.png

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

So I'm on a 5K iMac quad core i7 with 32gb ram. And to be fair to the computer (and Serif) I haven't really had any performance issues at all.

I haven't really played around with halftone brushes.. maybe I should! I guess I prefer to stay with vectors as much as possible so I'm not locked to a particular resolution. 

I already have my next piece in mind, though, and I might give the brushes a go, just for the sake of learning   :)

---

Very nice indeed.

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

• 2 weeks later...

Those seem to be an individual dots... What if we use not dots but strokes, set to dashed and with right settings? Wanted to illustrate the process, but cant get image here, dunno why, no matter. Maybe this is an obvious method, i dont know )

So we just make a straight line with pen tool, open the stroke palette for it, make the stroke dashed and wide, lets say, 10 px. And also we make first dash 0,1 and second - 4. We get a correctly spaced line of dots, as long as we want. Next we just duplicate this line of dots, move it a lil bit down and right for example - end we get 2 lines of dots positioned in the manner of halftone pattern... From this point we can just duplicate these two lines as many times as we need an just correctly position them under our first lines... So the process gets really fast from this point. And if we need halftoned shapes, we just take this our texture and paste it in the shape we want... 

What do you think, guys?

Follow me on Dribbble

https://dribbble.com/g-avoyan

Those seem to be an individual dots... What if we use not dots but strokes, set to dashed and with right settings? Wanted to illustrate the process, but cant get image here, dunno why, no matter. Maybe this is an obvious method, i dont know )

So we just make a straight line with pen tool, open the stroke palette for it, make the stroke dashed and wide, lets say, 10 px. And also we make first dash 0,1 and second - 4. We get a correctly spaced line of dots, as long as we want. Next we just duplicate this line of dots, move it a lil bit down and right for example - end we get 2 lines of dots positioned in the manner of halftone pattern... From this point we can just duplicate these two lines as many times as we need an just correctly position them under our first lines... So the process gets really fast from this point. And if we need halftoned shapes, we just take this our texture and paste it in the shape we want... 

What do you think, guys?

Hadn't even thought of that. You're right, if I can get Japanese dots working then this might be a good approach... Will give it a go. Good thinking Batman.

---

Nice idea, Avo :)  It *might* be a little too regular, perhaps, but for 99% of the time it might be an extremely effective way to produce the effect! :)

Okay I tried this method and it's fine, so long as you don't need to rescale your artwork. If you do, the line weights don't change and therefore your halftone goes a bit screwy.

---

Okay I tried this method and it's fine, so long as you don't need to rescale your artwork. If you do, the line weights don't change and therefore your halftone goes a bit screwy.

"Scale with object" option doesn't help? As far as i can see, enabling this option could help at least in situations when you need to make your object twice bigger... When you multiply the size of an object by the whole number... Still wanna try draw something with halftone myself and check it out )

Follow me on Dribbble

https://dribbble.com/g-avoyan