You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Option to set subdivisions (sub-lines) zoom tolerance on isometric grid in Designer?

On normal grids we can set the divisions of each grid unit to have sub-units in the main units with lighter grid-lines. However, how can we do the same for isometric grids?

The division fields in the grid settings don't seem to chang anything, so not sure what that is for, but I would expect that to be for the subdivision of each grid unit. [ see video ]

How to divide the isometric grid into more detailed sub-units (without changing the main unit-size)?

Alright, so after some more testing this seems to have something to do with the zoom ratio. Propbably Designer is being clever in when to show and when to hide the sub-units depending on the current zoom level, see video below.

Not sure how I feel about this behaviour, have to find out by using it. But I see the sub lines of the sub units now when on the right zoom level! 😀
(see video below)

As I understand how it works, when the zoom level is too low, there is not enough space to show every subdivision, so it only shows a selection of them.

This is because there would not be much point to covering the entire space with subdivisions since there would be no way to see where one ended & the next begins.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi @Friksel,

As R C-R has mentioned, the grid preview is based on zoom level - which I believe is dynamically changed depending on the grid settings in use.  

As stated, it would be pointless to display each subdivision at say 10% zoom level, as your document would look closer to a 'birds nest' than a useable canvas!

I will however move this thread to the Feedback section of the forums, as I can see room for improvement in providing the user with a custom choice for this zoom threshold, similar to the Baseline Grid display in Publisher has a user customisable zoom level.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Friksel,

As R C-R has mentioned, the grid preview is based on zoom level - which I believe is dynamically changed depending on the grid settings in use.  

15 hours ago, R C-R said:

As I understand how it works, when the zoom level is too low, there is not enough space to show every subdivision, so it only shows a selection of them.

Thanks for the reaction guys. As you can see in my last post above I already found that out myself quickly after posting the initial question, but it's always great to have some confirmation about it.

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

I will however move this thread to the Feedback section of the forums, as I can see room for improvement in providing the user with a custom choice for this zoom threshold, similar to the Baseline Grid display in Publisher has a user customisable zoom level.

I hope this helps :)

Thanks! That's indeed very welcome!

I'm no beginning user and it was still confusing to me. I still have the impression it can be improved as something feels off. Also when lines are too close next to each other I could imagine a better default would be to even than show these sub-lines on all zoom levels. The sub-lines are per default more grayed out so they shouldn't mess up with the main grid and at least then we know as users there is a sub grid actually working!

If we than decide to turn on the auto-to-zoom-behaviour switch that could be there than after that we know we did that on purpose and know the subgrid is working!

Being able to tune the threshold, as you say, would be a nice improvement I'd say!

have a nice day

3 hours ago, Friksel said:

Also when lines are too close next to each other I could imagine a better default would be to even than show these sub-lines on all zoom levels.

How could each subdivision line be shown when there is not enough space to display each of them individually?

IOW, say there are 10 subdivisions per major division & the zoom level is low enough that 10 document pixels cover only 1 or 2 screen pixels. How could each of those 10 subdivision lines be displayed when there is only 1 or 2 pixels available to display all of them?

For that matter, even with just one subdivision per major division, if the zoom level is too low either the divisions won't show at all or will be so closely spaced that they are effectively useless for snapping or as a placement reference for anything.

For example, consider this too many divisions.afdesign file. Set it to a zoom level of 20 or 25% & even though there is only one subdivision per major division at 20 px spacing per division, the grid is all but useless.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7