You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Character Typography dialogue freezes and missing

The Typography features that are available are determined almost completely by the font you have specified. Without knowing exactly what fonts, and where you got them, we cannot say what should be available.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi @qwz,

As Walt has mentioned, Typography features are font specific, however I can see you have also reported;

8 hours ago, qwz said:

Character Typography dialogue freezes Designer and Publisher

Could you please expand on this for me please? Is this happening when you open this Studio? Does this happen every time? are you able to provide a screen recording of this for me?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Thanks for the recording and I'm sorry to see this!

Can you please provide a copy of the fonts that are causing issues for you, so I can try testing them here?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 8/15/2021 at 9:55 PM, qwz said:

Also some ligatures doesn't show off and other features like Alternate sets etc. is missing in 1.10 update.

Could you please be very specific about what does not show or is missing from which fonts.
I have both EB Garamond and AntiQuasi incl. Caps so I can test those.
Do not have Baker Street 221B Mr Holmes - so I cannot test that.

I do not see any ligature, or OpenType feature, etc. missing, but do not know exactly what you are looking at.

• Staff

@qwz, apologies for the delayed response!

I have installed the EBGaramond font from Google fonts and have been testing this here on my Windows system.

As of yet, I have been unable to replicate any 'freezing' when enabling/disabling the Typography features, although I do note this is a 'variable font family', which isn't directly supported in Affinity at this time.

Could you possibly provide a screen recording showing the exact settings you're enabling/disabling, in order to cause these 'freezes'?

Can you also please navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide me with a screenshot of your settings here?

Please note -

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

although I do note this is a 'variable font family', which isn't directly supported in Affinity at this time.

Google supplies both the static and variable font families, though. Do we know which ones @qwz has installed? (And which did you install?)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

That's a great point, I personally tested with the variable version, as I had assumed the fact Affinity doesn't fully support variable fonts yet could have been a cause of the issue that the OP was seeing - but it would be good to know which they had installed? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for the screen recording!

I have replicated the steps shown using the Google Fonts version and I'm not seeing the same freezing - could you please try removing the Github version and installing the Google version and let me know if you're still seeing this hang? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me, unfortunately I'm still unable to replicate this issue here - however using the information you've provided I have reported this to our developers and we hope to have this resolved in a future update :)

EDIT - If possible, if you can replicate this freezing, please open Task Manager and then right-click on the Affinity app and select Create Dump File. This should generate a full log for our developers to further investigate, and can be uploaded to the below link:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/jg8mQlXivuE999jOumrh

Please let me know when you have uploaded this file!

Please note -

Many thanks!

On 9/24/2021 at 7:40 AM, qwz said:

Tried both Google Fonts TTF and GitHub OTF versions. With same result except GitHub has no Ligatures Available (most used features for me).

What GitHub OTF version has no ligatures?
The OctavioPardo GitHub version actually has more ligatures than the Google Fonts version.
Are you looking at the old GeorgeD repository?