You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adjust white balance tool in Develop Persona

When using the white balance pipette tool in Develop Persona there is a problem with noisy images. Especially color noise makes it impossible to make a white balance with help of a grey card placed in the image. Even when using the details filter the tool will pick the original underlying pixels. A solution could be to adjust the pipette to make a middle of let’s say 3x3 or 9x9 pixels. Is it possible to adjust the tool anywhere? Or is there another way to solve this?

This is relevant in reprography where you want most accurate colors by putting a color bar near the original.

Thanks for reading.

................................................................................
macOS 10.13.6 | MacBookPro | 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 | Affinity Suite

I'm not sure how the White Balance Tool will help you with a grey card, as its purpose is to pick white, not neutral grey.

However, if, rather than clicking it, you drag it over an area, it will average the color of that area.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not sure how the White Balance Tool will help you with a grey card, as its purpose is to pick white, not neutral grey.

However, if, rather than clicking it, you drag it over an area, it will average the color of that area.

Thanks, Walt. Dragging doesn’t work, but I saw that shift click adds more references to make the white balance perfect. So – problem solved!!

Thanks for reading.

................................................................................

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

This does not seem to work on my Mac. When I drag, it selects the color of whatever pixel I stop on -- there is no averaging with any other pixels I have dragged over.

The Shift click thing works but there is no indication on the image where each sample is from, although the status bar tells me how many sample points I have added.

The status bar also shows that I can make a rectangular selection if I hold down the option key while dragging out the rectangle, & this seems to be a reasonably good way to average over an area, as long as every pixel I want to average can be included in one rectangle.

Definitely room for improvement for this tool.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

All I can say is the Help says that dragging will work :)

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/Tools/tools_raw.html

White Balance Tool White Balance Tool

Automatically sets the White Balance of the image depending on the colour of the pixel clicked under the tool's cursor or pixels selected by dragging (averaged colour).

And it says nothing about averaging multiple clicks nor about averaging a rectangle selection. Some work needed there, I guess.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

All I can say is the Help says that dragging will work :)

The help does not agree with reality, at least with the current Mac version.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

The status bar also shows that I can make a rectangular selection if I hold down the option key while dragging out the rectangle, & this seems to be a reasonably good way to average over an area, as long as every pixel I want to average can be included in one rectangle.

This one works great with a greyscale like on color checker or something similar.

Thanks for reading.