You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo: how to anchor an object to the center of the guides cell. Is it possible?

I draw a grid from the guides and place objects there. The edges of the object are snapping to the guides.

But is there an option to enable snapping to the center of the cell? I tried different settings - nothing works.

In the first screenshot, centering at the center of the document. Can I do the same in the center of the cell?

2021-08-15 09_54_39-Affinity Photo.jpg

2021-08-15 09_54_57-Affinity Photo.jpg

As far as I know there isn’t a way to do what you want as there are no ‘cells’ to snap to, just the guides themselves.
What you perceive as a ‘cell’ doesn’t exist as a concept within the software.
Any enclosed area bounded by guides is not ‘understood’ by the software; in other words, there’s ‘nothing there’.
If you want to snap to guides then you need to create those guides at the positions you want to snap to.

Draw a rectangle that snaps to the cell, then snap your object to that

Move the rectangle to the next cell(s) and repeat as required

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

12 minutes ago, Wosven said:

You can also duplicate a Picture frame with an image constrained (in the Designer persona), and replace easily the images.

In Affinity Photo?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 minutes ago, Wosven said:

I assumed it's in APub from the screen shots

Check the thread's title ☺️

If you have Affinity Publisher, too, you can create a document with correct size and then place alignment helper rectangles on a master page. Then open the .afpub document in Photo and save it as .aphoto document. You can also create an .aftemplate template file so that you can create new .aphoto documents with a grid:

aphotomaster.jpg.665852744d5a3be21311fe3478f1a79e.jpg

Note that in order to be able to align to rectangles on a master page, you need to have the following snapping option enabled:

snapping.jpg.3c005ea7a42997153d8e343d782b638d.jpg

UPDATE: The master has the benefit of allowing arbitrary alignment grids, not only e.g. individual column widths (not available when using column guides), but using any kind of objects as alignment aid.