You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Version destroys my work! Big random rectangle cutouts on working layer. Irreversible!

Yes, I've only got Affinity Designer on the iPad - I find it interesting that this bug appears in both apps, so the problem might lie somehow deeper in the construction of the Affinity programming. Which would not be very reassuring ...

I think that there are many more issues which are reported to the developpers, but for me ours is certainly a major one. So I hope it will be right on the top of their "bucket list". Normally I would never want to be annoying, but in this case we are right to report the problem regularly, as we surely speak for a lot of more frustrated users who are not in this forum. 

There is another issue open (with far less damage, but still damaging the layer). On iPad, you can’t paint with pure white brush to achieve pure white output (in RGB/8) over almost white pixels. This seems like a rounding issue, dealing with values at the edge (0 or 255). A similar thing might happen here on alpha channel: underflow from 0 may lead to 1 so the mask affects wrong areas. Others got corrected (getting wrong results from certain blend modes).

One reason that these rendering issues lead to corrupted data is that the brush uses the rendered data to be stored into the pixel layer, in other situations (e.g. using a function leading to wrong rendering, but not in combination with brush) you only get rendering issues.

Another field of unfixed issues (but only affecting the rendering) is calculating bounding boxes of shapes (very important for alpha channel), when you use nested curve layers for layer clipping, in combination with alpha aware adjustments.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• Staff
On 2/17/2022 at 3:54 PM, NotMyFault said:

potential  triggers:

zoom level (brush larger than visible canvas)

cmyk document

zooming

It was the zooming for me. I finally got it after essentially spamming zoom, undo and painting. I will forward this to the developers now that we have a more reliable way of reproducing this issue.

Yesterday I've continued working on the actual drawing without any problems. Today I tried to trigger the bug one more time in an older file of the same project, drawing like crazy, with zooming. I don't know what happened but also the zooming is working quite well, two weeks ago it was hardly possible any more. 
However, just before I dediced to close AD, the bug appeared for one time, after I had "undone" all strikes with brush and eraser, with the canvas slightly rotated.

But then something strange happened. I decided to take a screenshot of the corrupted layer. After I saved the screenhot and closed it, the layer was fine again! I'm really confused now. But here's the screenshot, so I can prove it wasn't a bad dream:
 PNG-Bild.thumb.png.2e58ac77aed2d971d339904792690d8e.png

19 minutes ago, Marina P. said:

Yesterday I've continued working on the actual drawing without any problems. Today I tried to trigger the bug one more time in an older file of the same project, drawing like crazy, with zooming. I don't know what happened but also the zooming is working quite well, two weeks ago it was hardly possible any more. 
However, just before I dediced to close AD, the bug appeared for one time, after I had "undone" all strikes with brush and eraser, with the canvas slightly rotated.

But then something strange happened. I decided to take a screenshot of the corrupted layer. After I saved the screenhot and closed it, the layer was fine again! I'm really confused now. But here's the screenshot, so I can prove it wasn't a bad dream:
 PNG-Bild.thumb.png.2e58ac77aed2d971d339904792690d8e.png

This is probably a different and less dramatic issue.

As discussed earlier, there are several situations where rendering gets temporary wrong, but without any damage to the layer content.

I call this temporary rendering issues, and they are happening often. To rectify, just zoom a bit, hide/up hide or restart App.

The topic of this thread is something different: Pixel data gets damaged inside layers, and users report that history / undo does not resolve the issue.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

17 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

The topic of this thread is something different: Pixel data gets damaged inside layers, and users report that history / undo does not resolve the issue.

Yes, I know and as I've described in my first post, this happened also to me very often. It happened to me that
1. Zooming in and out got problematic (Note: Zooming a selected area produced even strange patterns ...)
2. Brushes paint rectangles which damage the layer, especially after undoing. 
3. The whole layer got cropped down to a little rectangle. 
4. Brushes cut out irreversible rectangles in the layer. 
5. All of these issues could not be resolved. 

As I was trying to reproduce one of these problems today, I was surprised by the rendering-issue above. But you're right, this was not the same, as it got ok again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, yesterday I startet a little drawing but after a few minutes the bug happened again! It got worse and worse so that I wasn't really able to work on it any more. 
I want to show you in four little clips how the issues looked like. 

There are some aspects of what could have been the cause for the sudden problem: 

1. Unfortunately, there is the annoying case that when I want to lay down my (left) hand on the display, it happens that in the first instance, one point of my little finger and one point of the hand are touching it at first: The App thinks it is Zooming, and the layers flicker rapidly and often also I touch some other commands like masking out the functions ( I don't know the English terms) or I activate unintentionally the pipette. Yesterday it was the fast flickering and masking out, and shortly after that the problems began. 

2. It could have been the Frankentoon Neptune Brush ("Osaka"), having had a latent strange performance so that I thought: "Oh dear this won't go well ..." 

3. Also the zooming was problematic, but I'm not sure if this was before or after the bug occured. 

In the third clip you can see that the brush startet to erase pixels around itself. When I startet filming, it seemed to be normal again, but undoing led to the damage again. 

Strangely, today I wanted to trigger new "examples" in the same file with the same brush, but everything worked well. I don't understand this. 

25 minutes ago, ericosmosNEW said:

I think for these kind of rather simple drawings you should switch to procreate

Thanks for your advice! I have Procreate installed a time before Affinity Designer, but it was indeed too simple for me. I don't do such giant work like you but this drawing above is so simple because the bug forced me to keep it that way, as every second stroke and layer got ruined.

29 minutes ago, ericosmosNEW said:

Would be great to get some sort of feedback, if the developers are working on the problem or not. 🙄

Yes, this would be really great. I wonder if it would be an option to send a report via email directly to the Affinity Support? 

1 hour ago, Marina P. said:

Thanks for your advice! I have Procreate installed a time before Affinity Designer, but it was indeed too simple for me. I don't do such giant work like you but this drawing above is so simple because the bug forced me to keep it that way, as every second stroke and layer got ruined.

I just realized that you were the one in this thread who worked in designer. So, of course, when you are used to drawing with vector brushes, procreate is not an option.

2 hours ago, ericosmosNEW said:

So, of course, when you are used to drawing with vector brushes, procreate is not an option.

Hello ericosmosNEW, mainly I work with pixel brushes, but somehow there are much more functions in AD than in Procreate, I was so happy to have this wonderful Sérif-App. But now this issue has changed that badly.

And there would be much more to do for the developpers: I know someone who purchased AD and AF as Desktop Versions, but they always crash after some time without saving. No update changed this, the programs are completely useless for him, so he went back to Photoshop very quickly.
Happily on my laptop Designer and Photo both work well. So I think that somehow, all these issues depend on the devices/hardware/versions, whatever. 

• 1 month later...

No news yet. But at least the problem has finally been forwarded to the development team after months of...nothing

Someone mentioned that the use of custom brushes (Frankentoon etc.) might trigger the problem to some extent. There might be something to it since I also use more complex custom brushes. But the problem also occurs when I have a complex selection and paint in it with a very big and smooth standard brush.

• 2 months later...

For everyone encountering this problem: if you don‘t want to feel like you have wasted money on this app (like I did for a while), here is a workaround that, at least, reduces the chance of having to cry over destroyed layers.

Before you start working on a layer in a way that usually triggers the destruction, either duplicate the layer first or make a new layer with the same blending mode like the layer you actually want to work on. After you are done, merge this layer with the actual layer. In case you get the horrendous „effect“, at least, you don’t have to start from scratch. Since I encounter this bug all the time, this method saved me a lot of headaches lately.

I don’t know if this issue will ever be addressed, but if you are a victim of this too, I want you to know: “You are not alone” 😕😉

11 hours ago, ericosmosNEW said:

For everyone encountering this problem: if you don‘t want to feel like you have wasted money on this app (like I did for a while), here is a workaround that, at least, reduces the chance of having to cry over destroyed layers.

Before you start working on a layer in a way that usually triggers the destruction, either duplicate the layer first or make a new layer with the same blending mode like the layer you actually want to work on. After you are done, merge this layer with the actual layer. In case you get the horrendous „effect“, at least, you don’t have to start from scratch. Since I encounter this bug all the time, this method saved me a lot of headaches lately.

I don’t know if this issue will ever be addressed, but if you are a victim of this too, I want you to know: “You are not alone” 😕😉

Thank you for the useful trick! I wonder if everyone else has accepted this bug or if the bug has vanished? As it comes to my case, I'm still waiting for a fixing - Update!!!! 😩😡 Because I mean, it can't be that we have to invent strange methods for not having wasted the money, can it?!? Is this really the interest of Sérif? (Sorry but this bug is more than annoying, and not fixing it is really outrageous.)

What‘s weird is that @Chris B seemed to have a hard time triggering the bug while I run into this problem all the time with EVERY SINGLE FILE. No excessive zooming or other crazy shit. Just selecting, zooming in, painting within the selection, usually with hard light blending mode on the layer.

I don't understand that either. In my case I can do what I want, the bag comes up in every single document, too. Earlier or later, but certain. 

This is a major bug ... Sometimes I wonder if they are just not able to fix it and so ignoring the best strategy ... ?