You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Version destroys my work! Big random rectangle cutouts on working layer. Irreversible!

On 11/7/2021 at 2:15 AM, Tim6251 said:

Ended up here after experiencing the same issue.  Lost 6 hours worth of dodge and burn.  Started over the next day then lost another 5 hours of work.  😭

Most annoying bug! Can’t you restore one of your regular saves prior to this issue appearing?

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

5 hours ago, ericosmosNEW said:

Welcome to the „victims of rectangular cutouts“-club 😵💫

A recent post highlighted rectangular cutouts appearing in a vector drawing (Designer not Photo).  The blank rectangles appear when zooming but the vector layer thankfully reappears when restoring viewpoint. These are vectors not pixels, but I wonder if the issue might be related. 🤔

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 3 months later...
On 11/9/2021 at 8:40 PM, ericosmosNEW said:

Welcome to the „victims of rectangular cutouts“-club 😵💫

Oh I didn't know I'm part of a club!:-) In my case, it's Affinity Designer, but the same problem. It is a bug and there is currently no solution yet. It needs to be fixed by the developers who already know about the issue. 

To all who experience this issue:

I’m unable to reproduce this issue in full extend, using multiple iPad, IPad OS and Windows / iMac.

1. Often I get rendering issues, e.g. layers not updating, staying blurry for extended time, and multiple alpha related issues. Brushes not showing up, …
  2. all above are temporary and do never affect the document data, only the rendering of the canvas, and probably export.
  3. a good way to distinguish is to show the layer stack with thumbnails of individual layers, or the navigator panel with a preview of the final image.
  4. if the navigator panel or layer thumbnail shows correct data, the file is still intact / not damaged. You can save the file, close Affinity, and all is back to normal (temporary until it happens again at least).
  5. Using the solo / isolation mode is another good way to inspect the content.

could you share a document where the file itself got corrupted, ideally saved with history?

I’m not questioning that the issue happens, only trying to investigate and understand what could trigger the issue.

I’ve raised more than 50 bug reports myself (accepted by Affinity)  and reproduced many of those raised by others (which could affect my workflow, and I’m a curious person), but luckily this one never bite me (corrupting a file).

I only got file corruption with Publisher.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

12 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

To all who experience this issue:

I’m unable to reproduce this issue in full extend, using multiple iPad, IPad OS and Windows / iMac.

1. Often I get rendering issues, e.g. layers not updating, staying blurry for extended time, and multiple alpha related issues. Brushes not showing up, …
  2. all above are temporary and do never affect the document data, only the rendering of the canvas, and probably export.
  3. a good way to distinguish is to show the layer stack with thumbnails of individual layers, or the navigator panel with a preview of the final image.
  4. if the navigator panel or layer thumbnail shows correct data, the file is still intact / not damaged. You can save the file, close Affinity, and all is back to normal (temporary until it happens again at least).
  5. Using the solo / isolation mode is another good way to inspect the content.

could you share a document where the file itself got corrupted, ideally saved with history?

I’m not questioning that the issue happens, only trying to investigate and understand what could trigger the issue.

I’ve raised more than 50 bug reports myself (accepted by Affinity)  and reproduced many of those raised by others (which could affect my workflow, and I’m a curious person), but luckily this one never bite me (corrupting a file).

I only got file corruption with Publisher.

Look at my very first post in this thread. I have attached video files and explained in detail what happens.

I elaborated on this in my later posts in this thread.

This biggest problem is that when it happens and you try to go back steps in the history section it gets worse and worse, meaning the more I go back in the history the more random rectangular cutouts happen. So hours of work gets irreversibly destroyed.

Here is the file from my first post. I just recreated the bug myself.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1txaOp69fMOlrjVegd5Euh2_saessRtc3/view?usp=drivesdk

how to recreate it:

Go to the „flats“ layer (Hidden), take the magic wand select tool (tolerance 0) and select the red background area. Now go to the „Pixel“ layer above the „flats“ layer, take a bigger soft brush and start painting in the selected area. It take a while but eventually (maybe after changing the color)the cutout happens.

now go to the history section and try to go backwards. More cutouts will appear until almost the whole layer is destroyed.

6 hours ago, ericosmosNEW said:

Here is the file from my first post. I just recreated the bug myself.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1txaOp69fMOlrjVegd5Euh2_saessRtc3/view?usp=drivesdk

how to recreate it:

Go to the „flats“ layer (Hidden), take the magic wand select tool (tolerance 0) and select the red background area. Now go to the „Pixel“ layer above the „flats“ layer, take a bigger soft brush and start painting in the selected area. It take a while but eventually (maybe after changing the color)the cutout happens.

now go to the history section and try to go backwards. More cutouts will appear until almost the whole layer is destroyed.

Thank you so much. I tried a few times, the rendering was slow / laggy and temporary showed blocky artifacts. but it always got correct after waiting some time (a few seconds). Maybe depends on iPad model or iPad OS version, or timing of user input. Will try again  on other models.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• Staff
3 hours ago, ericosmosNEW said:

Have you done it exactly the way I described? Which ipad are you on?

I have and I cannot reproduce this. I've been at it for a solid 30 minutes and it is absolutely fine. 

13 hours ago, ericosmosNEW said:

So, here I recorded it again:

FullSizeRender.mov

This seems to be missing for me.

I wonder if perhaps it's something to do with memory? Can you try turning off the iPad and restarting it to see if you can reproduce with your own recipe?

After trying in vain on iPad 2017

On iPad Pro 2018, I was now able to reproduce. I confirm this is a severe bug with unrecoverable data loss. Using Apple Pencil (gen 1).

iPad and pencil battery >= 65%

i used the largest basic soft brush, increased size, reduced hardness to 0.

switched colors about 8 times, took about 3- 5 minutes to trigger.

i inspected the layer with navigator panel, solo mode and channels panel, all confirm data loss. The content outside the selection got completely deleted (in affected area), on all channels.

i tried to fill alpha in channels panel, this resulted in pure black, so the layer got destroyed.

potential  triggers:

zoom level (brush larger than visible canvas)

cmyk document

zooming

79B79C6C-80D2-4D21-9E08-08B199025CC5.thumb.png.8a1b848b2e49414496aee5669556db2b.pngE69C757F-6F46-4A0B-8105-4A81193920D0.thumb.png.0ce9fd1b762cdfbd46fdc389d0daee89.png769FEE0F-DDDB-4D9E-814C-DCA18608D6A7.thumb.png.3522b4f0c4155c1fb0e75399627a6981.png1B382C01-8363-449C-A050-A7D099C63E29.thumb.png.80501f356a8b2d05939d6783a0ab92bd.png

There you go! 

Yes, I am also working on an iPad Pro 2018. And since all of my files have this kind of setup and I use bigger soft brushes on a selected area often on a layer with is set to hard light for example, I frequently run into this problem which once it occurs leaves me with an irreversibly damaged file and hours of work destroyed.

As I said months ago, THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED ASAP, because I don't know how else I can reliably use the app for my work.

My iPad is Model A1701

0EDD0426-F34D-4534-A454-3EEA4824E7B7.jpeg.637b210019902b67b0be26caa664acfa.jpeg

If it helps - file saved with history after issue occurs.

going back in history possible, removing the defective operation.

PF page 10backup bug.afphoto

31 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

If it helps - file saved with history after issue occurs.

going back in history possible, removing the defective operation.

PF page 10backup bug.afphoto 116.63 MB · 0 downloads

Just tried that. Saved the file after the issue occurred. Went back in and tried to go back in history, but no… Going back in history results in further destruction of the layer.

6 minutes ago, ericosmosNEW said:

Just tried that. Saved the file after the issue occurred. Went back in and tried to go back in history, but no… Going back in history results in further destruction of the layer.

In my case it was possible. But I exited editing, did some safari work, switched back to Photo, checked that history was intact, then saved as copy. This might make a difference - when you exit edit mode Affinity shows a waiting donut for several seconds - the file might be in a different state vs. directly using save as. And regular save is broken on its own (can’t rename after first save, some files vanish in Nirwana), save as works more reliable in some cases.

What do you mean with “exited editing”? Can you show exactly what you did?

What I just tried, I triggered the bug then closed the document, went to Safari then went back to Photo, opened the file again, saved as copy under new name incl. protocol, opened that file, went to history and clicked on earlier steps and the layer still got more and more destroyed 🤷‍♂️

on another note, is there a way to go back to an earlier version of Photo?

10 minutes ago, ericosmosNEW said:

What do you mean with “exited editing”? Can you show exactly what you did?

What I just tried, I triggered the bug then closed the document, went to Safari then went back to Photo, opened the file again, saved as copy under new name incl. protocol, opened that file, went to history and clicked on earlier steps and the layer still got more and more destroyed 🤷‍♂️

on another note, is there a way to go back to an earlier version of Photo?

Leave edit mode: click the „Home“ left arrow at the upper left corner.

On iPad, i think there is no easy way. It was possible in the past to backup apps via iTunes to a Mac or PC, and restore them. But this has changes some time ago, now it always loads from AppStore the latest release.

I didn't have the possibility yet to try to trigger the bug for al longer time. I painted wildly with different brushes in different sizes and colours, zoomed in and out. Nothing bad happened! (I bet I have to continue my painting until I get a creative flow and forget about the bug - then it appears .. ?)

I wanted to share my iPad info here. And I'm "curious" what I'll experience once I continue the actual drawing. 

1537378726_Bildschirmfoto2022-02-18um22_15_23.png.6a0d111d698060c025e2aef26644408c.png

Hey ericosmos, 
I just converted your file on the Desktop Version into "afdesign" to open it on my iPad and then tried to cause the bug, but it didn't happen. What exactly would have to be done to trigger it? I tried to draw on existing as on new added pixel layers, I zoomed like crazy and painted with different brushes in giant and normal sizes, different colours, used the "undo"-function very often and it all worked. It's crazy because I myself was near the point to stop doing anything on AD because the bug appeared in every file and got worse and worse. So until now I don't have a clue what REALLY causes the bug, which components are necessary to prompt it. 

The only thing that was apparent was that most of the strokes had a very, very strong delay, especially when the brush was very high sized - but maybe this is normal considering all the complex layers in the document? During this time of delay I could see something interesting, because I could see how the brush is "working": At first the brush produces a rectangle! And this rectangle then is "filled" by the pixel information. So I could imagine that - when the bug happens - the brush will delete data in these rectangles. On the other side, it also happens that a whole layer is cropped to a tiny little rectangle by itself ...

I don't know why I could not provoke the bug yet, but still don't dare to believe my iPad is healed. I will share all news I get with you.  

I looked up again in this forum what iPad types are affected by the bug: 

iPad Pro 10,5 (2017) 
iPad Pro 12,9 (2017)
iPad Pro 12,9 (2018) (two cases)
iPad Air 3. generation (2019)
iPad Pro 12,9 (2021)

I'm not sure but I think the reason for most of the iPads being Pro models is that other iPads don't support the Apple pencil and iPad Air 3 was the first to do that. For me it doesn'l look like the bug is depending on the device, it can happen with every one. 

I hope the developpers will be able to fix this, this would really be important! 

Agreed! This needs to be taken seriously by the developers and fixed ASAP.

Since you converted my file to afdesign I assume you don't have affinity photo on your iPad. While I think the bug you experienced with designer on iPad is, to some degree,  related to the bug happening in photo, I guess the reason why you cannot trigger the bug the way others could, might be because of the conversion to afdesign 🤷‍♂️

Your insight into how those soft brushes might operate in detail could be a good starting point for developers to investigate at which point the algorithm might "check out" and cause the data loss.

Let's keep this matter up and visible so it doesn't get buried under tons of newer posts. 😉