You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF export Error in Affinity Publisher

Hi,

I’m trying to export a PDF file and I can’t. It shows me the following error… (attatched)

With other files works well, but this specific file I have this error, and only to export Digital PDF. If was PDF to print it export without any trouble.

Can you help me? What is going on? I didn’t find anything about this in the forum.

Captura de Tela 2021-08-14 às 06.13.28.png

The problem is most probably related to hyperlinks. Current version of Affinity Publisher fails to export a PDF if there is a malformed hyperlink (specifically mailto email hyperlinks). You can specify in PDF export settings that hyperlinks are not included. Or you can use the Hyperlinks panel and check your hyperlinks for erroneous addresses. The mailto addresses fail if there are e.g. spaces in the link, or non-ASCII characters.

You're right, it's related to Hyperlinks... Whenever I disabled it in the export it worked fine.

But I found the solution. I'm not using email hyperlinks, just URLs, but one of the links in the list was in error indeed. After correcting it, the document exported correctly.

Edited by Rubens do Carmo
Found the solution

1 hour ago, Rubens do Carmo said:

But I found the solution. I'm not using email hyperlinks, just URLs, but one of the links in the list was in error indeed. After correcting it, the document exported correctly.

Ok, good to hear. The Windows beta has probably a partial fix to the problem (possibly so that Internet hyperlinks are encoded if including spaces, or otherwise handled so that PDF creation does not fail), but the beta does not fix similar problems with mailto links.

• 10 months later...

I would probably try to fix this in the following order:

1) If hyperlinks exist in the document, export first by disabling the "Hyperlinks" option under the "More" settings of the PDF Export dialog box, to see if there is still some problem with hyperlinks.

2) Enable PDFLib logging to see on which page the error occurs, and what the exact error message is.

3) If the exact cause is not mentioned but the page number where the error happens is given, do binary search and hide layers in halves until the object causing the error is found. If the page number is not given, export page ranges in halves until the page causing problems is found, and thereafter proceed similarly with layers.

On 6/30/2022 at 4:49 PM, danzefirelli said:

The book has 447 pages with aprox 500 pics linked. When exporting 100  or 200 pages. everything is ok. I suspect that the problem is in the first half of the book. I will enable the pdf logging. Thanks!

I hope you get the problem spotted. If you have not so far, please make a few copies of your current document (even if it does not allow you to make full exports), just to make sure frequent export tests do not make the file any more unstable!

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, danzefirelli said:

the same error still on. no message when closing. 

What did the PDFLib logging show?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 9 months later...