You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Document created in AFPub version 1.7 crashes AFPub and AFPhoto version 1.10.0

Edit:  See my follow-up post below. The files I uploaded are perfectly fine. They will not open on my computer because I do have the linked resources they contain. The problem is a severe bug in Ver 1.10 that causes AFPub and AFPhoto to crash when linked resources exist. They will NOT crash when the linked resources are absent.

I have one file created in AFPub Ver 1.7 on 6/19/2019 that causes both AFPub and AFPhoto Ver 1.10 to crash to the desktop when I try to open it.
Picture Testing(Ver_1_7_3_-Crashes_Ver_1_10.afpub

I also opened this file again today in Ver 1.7 on my old computer and saved it again under a different name. That file also crashes both AFPub and  AFPhoto Ver 1.10.0

The same file opened and saved on 2/28/2020 in AFPub Ver 1.8 opens just fine in AFPub and AFPhoto Ver 1.10.
Picture Testing(Ver_1_7_3(SavedByVer_1_8_0_584)_OpensWithVer_1_10).afpub

Fortunately, so far all other files created in Ver 1.7 can be opened in Ver 1.10.0 . This one file appears to be a fluke. Perhaps the developers will want to see it anyway since it opens in the earlier version that created it but will not open in Ver 1.10.0

The original file was my first test of AFPub in 2019. It's just two images on a single page AFPub document.

Picture Testing(Ver_1_7_3_-Crashes_Ver_1_10.afpub Picture Testing(Ver_1_7_3(SavedByVer_1_8_0_584)_OpensWithVer_1_10).afpub

Edited by Granddaddy

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

I don't know if I'm contributing anything, but I had nothing to do so I opened both files in Pub and Photo. They loaded fine, I could manipulate them, and there were no crashes. (And the files are now deleted from my system.)

Win10 64bit, v1.10 of both, Graphics accelerator enabled.

I can confirm that there seem to be problems with older documents. The app crashes for me when I try to open documents from 2019. Publisher closes before any of the documents are opened. They were created on the same computer at the time, and they are very simply designed. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to upload the documents.

• Staff

I think there's a problem with older files and linked documents. One way to get a round this is to break the old link between the document and the resources.

This could be done by renaming the resource folder, moving the afpub to a totally different folder and/or opening the document on another computer. The file should open,  resave it and move it back to it's original location. Finally relink the resources.

2 hours ago, Pauls said:

I think there's a problem with older files and linked documents. One way to get a round this is to break the old link between the document and the resources.
This could be done by renaming the resource folder, moving the afpub to a totally different folder and/or opening the document on another computer. The file should open,  resave it and move it back to it's original location. Finally relink the resources.

Thanks for the info and the workaround, @Pauls !

In my case, the app already crashes before opening the document. For this reason, only the last method works for me. However, it does not work with another directory, but only on another computer.

Apparently, the problem also exists when embedded elements, because the programme remembers the former links.

It looks like the problem is not yet fixed in today's beta (1.10.1.1138), although it sounds like it in the list of fixed bugs.

The test file I uploaded does contain two linked images on a single page and nothing else. One image is in the folder containing the test document. The other is in another folder on my computer. Their filenames and locations have not changed since I made the test file in 2019.

When I open the test file on my older computer using Ver 1.7, a Missing Resources dialog pops up and offers to find the files. These files do not exist at all on that older computer, but with Resoucre Manager I was able to see their filenames so I could go back to my current computer and find the two image files.

When I try to open the test file using Ver 1.10 on my present computer (the one on which the test file was created using Ver 1.7 in 2019), APhoto and APub both crash to the desktop.

So it is the fact that the file created in Ver 1.7 using valid linked resources crashes both Affinity Photo and Publisher Ver 1.10 if those resources still exist as specified when the file was last saved with Ver 1.7. 

Following the suggestions of other responders, and after finding the two files revealed in Resource Manager on my older computer, I changed the names of the two files linked to my test document. Then using Ver 1.10, the test document opens to display the document with the images and the Missing Resource(s) dialog offering to find the missing linked resources.

Fascinating. When the linked resources are present as specified in the test document, Ver 1.10 crashes to the desktop. When the linked resources are NOT present, Ver 1.10 works as expected.

This explains why others have been able to open my test document using their Ver 1.10, but I could not. They did NOT have the linked resources but I do. There is nothing wrong with my .afpub file. There is something drastically wrong with APub Ver 1.10 when it loads files created in older versions of APub.

I shall be waiting to see if Serif can fix this horrific bug.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060