You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font problem Hypatia

Hi,

WIN 10 ... This problem influences any publisher version, photo, designer ... 1.9.2+

I have several book covers which using Hypatia Sans Pro ... orginally made with Indesign, converted to Afpub ...
Everything is ok, the created .pdfs are printed together with the books without problems.

Now I wanted to create new pics from that covers - created a pdf ... opened in publisher, photo, designer, please see pic.
A simple afpub file is attached here as well.
a) capital letters gone ...
b) character spacing, does not improve if I switch on capital letters by hand again ...
Front panels says: "all fonts ok"

(Only work around in that case: create .pdf with "rasterize all".)

What could be the cause? Do some fonts make problems?
Thanks for a helpful answer.

2018070585_Hypatiaproblem.jpg.59e8c9e875f419863a0c08af69a2116d.jpg

Hypatia.afpub

When you Exported the PDF, did you Subset the font, or include the complete font? It's an option under More... in the Export dialog. Subsetting can cause problems like this.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, design punch said:

What could be the cause? Do some fonts make problems?
Thanks for a helpful answer.

I opened your document (Hypatia.afpub) in APub - looks fine.
Then from APub did Export to PDF - looks fine.
Then from that PDF I exported to a PNG - see image below.

Hypatia_1-cropped.thumb.png.8b785aa0f7e37696fe13a7809f927282.png

Which as you can see looks fine.

The messed-up text in your image above reminds me of what text from some PDFs looks like when the PDF writing library does not actually use the text space characters, but instead inserts empty space between the characters.
I do remember this was an issue discussed here in the forum, which I think has been fixed in the apps.

Perhaps simply saving the doc and reopening it cleaned it up. Dunno.

But it does appear to be working fine for me.

Hi LibreTraining,

thanks for looking into it ... but your suggestion didn't changed the problem.

> Then from that PDF I exported to a PNG - see image below.
If you mean, you exported from a .pdf reader, same here, it is ok. But not, if the .pdf is reopened in Aff (pub, designer oder photo)

The .pdf was created by Afpub.
I investigated a bit more:
a) yes, there are extra empty spaces and character spacing values (VA) going wild.
b) I can save the .pdf as  .jpg in Acrobat, I can open the .pdf as a picture in LibreOffice ... they all look fine. But not within Affinities !?!
c) in Aff (after opening the .pdf) - removing the unwanted empty spaces and set VA overall to a new value (e.g. 0 °/oo) clears the rotten outline ...

I hope, that only a few fonts will cause such problems ... at the moment hypatia is the only one, which I was facing such problems ..

19 hours ago, design punch said:

I hope, that only a few fonts will cause such problems ... at the moment hypatia is the only one, which I was facing such problems ..

OK. Now I understand.
I opened the PDF in APub and I get the messed-up text.

I understand the small caps missing as that info is not saved in the PDF.
You always have to reapply the small caps.
(Now I have seen some users say that they have round-tripped OpenType features thru a PDF using ID).
(But I have not tested this myself. Adopy would have to be doing some undocumented stuff to save the info somewhere.)

Tracking is another thing which I am not surprised did not come through - but the guess-timate setting is really off.

But the added spaces cannot be anything but a bug.
I took a look at the Hypatia fonts internals and nothing there seems to be unusual which would cause this.
(It is actually a very sophisticated font made by a font expert.)
So I do not know why some fonts work and some do not.

On 8/11/2021 at 10:08 AM, design punch said:

Hi Walt,

I think I tried all possible options now, incl. V 1.9.2, V 1135, incl. different .pdfs settings ... no change ...
Hypatia Sans Pro was delivered together with Adobe CS 3 (so far I remember) .. for testing I could send the fonts (but not via the public channel)

Just to make sure you understood the option I mentioned, it's this one at the bottom of the More... options when exporting a PDF:

image.png.57f84e9eecfa97989041e1e062ed7c91.png

If it is checked, then any small-caps in the exported PDF are not handled properly when the PDF is re-Opened by Affinity, in my experience. If it is not checked, the small-caps are handled properly.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi,

I checked subset fonts ON and OFF without any good result ...

The strange thing is here is (for me),
- that the printer could print the books with that covers (8 different covers) without a problem
- Acrobat, Libri etc. can handle the .pdf without problems
- only reopen the .pdf in photo, designer, afpub does show such problem !?!?

Nevertheless, I converted those covers in "rasterize all" to avoid further problems ... fortunatly I used this font on some book covers only ...

Thanks for your answers.