You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo works very slow and unaccurate after update

13 hours ago, VeganPete said:

No, OpenCL is not "on by default"

True. However, it is on by default if your Windows is new enough, and your GPU supports it.

I thought you mentioned doing a Windows update earlier in this thread. If I've remembered that correctly (and my apologies if not) then after the update, the OpenCL support should be on automatically if your GPU supports it. 

So, if you did the Windows update, it would be worth looking at the Affinity Performance Preferences again to check whether OpenCL is enabled. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt. Yes, I did manage to successfully update to Win 10.0.19 but by then I'd I'd already reverted to the older version of Affinity. It was so stressful yesterday - lost an entire day to updates and re-installs etc. I'll try today to see if hardware acceleration can be enabled on the new Affinity Photo and see if enabling OpenCL addressed any of the issues now my Windows has updated to a supported version. Regardless, the old version of Affinity Photo is perfect in all regards except one - none of my newer projects will open any more - they all say something along the lines of "This Project uses features from a newer version of Affinity Photo".

So, as suggested, I guess I'll to try the new version of Affinity Photo one last time. If it doesn't work, I've no issues with using an older version and just abandon those projects (they're all rendered to file anyway - so they're essentially just backups for if I wanted to edit anything) - the old version is so stable and outperforms the new version (even without the Hardware Acceleration) that I've made my peace with not being able to upgrade. Thanks.

System-Information.jpg

Thanks for confirming, @VeganPete.

One suggestion which might simplify your testing: install the 1.10.5 beta from the top of the Photo on Windows Beta forum. It installs alongside your current retail installation.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/34-photo-beta-on-windows/

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Still had some slow-down even with Nvidia HA option enabled but I think I've managed to fix it by going to "file>open" then select "View" and disable "navigation and "preview option". I think the problem is that (as a hobbyist artist and music maker and game dev), I have thousands of nested folders (folders within folders) for images, audio samples, VSTi presets and 3D model assets - both on the desktop and in my downloads folders. Whilst it hasn't caused any problems before, these nested folder seem to wreak havoc with Affinity photo - turning off "Navigation" seems to have fixed it.. so it may be worth a try for others who are experiencing similar problems.

@VeganPete

You should store as few directories as possible on the desktop; this will not slow down the system start-up, among other things. Since you have probably not switched off the indexing of files, the entire desktop is re-indexed every time a file is changed.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

22 minutes ago, Komatös said:

@VeganPete

You should store as few directories as possible on the desktop; this will not slow down the system start-up, among other things. Since you have probably not switched off the indexing of files, the entire desktop is re-indexed every time a file is changed.

Ah, OK thank you! I'll have to turn off indexing as I can't really move the files without trashing all my projects.

20 hours ago, Komatös said:

@VeganPete

I thought this was just a Mac thing. Not nice to know that it is a problem on both platforms. Maybe the problem with the Mac is a different problem.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Spoke too soon; the beta version still has the exact same problem.

As a few people have mentioned previously, it does appear to be a Windows10 problem, not an affinity problem - Affinity doesn't have a built-in file-browser, instead it calls the Windows File Explorer. This is problematic as it makes Affinity dependent on Windows File Explorer and susceptible to any 3rd party flaws therein.

I advise the Serif developers to incorporate their own file-browser to improve speed and stability of the software on various platforms.

In the mean-time, there is a reliable workaround (for Windows).
After exhausting help here,  I managed to find this response on another graphics forum which also mentioned Affinity being unusably slow on Windows 10.

This helped to speed up Affinity and appears to have fixed the issue for me...

1. Hold Win+r to open run
2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
3. Click Services
4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
5. Uncheck tickbox
6. Click apply then ok
7. Select to restart now

I hope this helps resolve the issue for others that are experiencing this deal-breaking issue. If not, I suggest trying Krita until it gets fixed in future updates - Krita looks similar to Affinity and is free. Personally I prefer Affinity, especially now it's working again.

Yes, I'll t find it for you later today. I didn't save the link but it will be in my browser history. It'll take me a while to find it again because I spent quite a few hours trawling through various solutions until I found that one saying windows search feature trashes Windows Explorer if there are a lot of files. Windows search service can be re-enabled with a click so I was able to directly compare before/after performance and several other people said it had helped them. I had switched to Krita but didn't like the workflow as much as Affinity Photo, so I went on a quest to find a solution. I realised it was probably a windows related problem because even the oldest Version of Affinity Photo I could find suffered the same problem, when  in the past, it had worked perfectly well. It seems that recent windows updates have changed some of the core features of Explorer which have retrospectively affected Affinity performance. Not sure why this problem manifests for some people and not others but it brings Affinity to a crawl and can be completely unusable. For me, disabling Windows Search fixed it and (so far) seems to be a permanent fix.

@PeteMacca -Also was advised that if you have disabled Windows search, you should also disable "File Indexing".

Disabling/enabling the "Search Index" does not harm your system and is also a 1-click action, if ever you'd like to test if it improves your Affinity Performance.

"If you have a decent CPU/GPU combo (or if you have an SSD drive), you should turn off  "file indexing" (which is "On" by default on Windows 10). Disabling this feature often improves performance of SSD access speeds - especially when you have thousands of individual, small files (such as images/samples/presets etc). With an SSD and decent CPU, the search speed is not hindered by turning off the indexing - but you can get a considerable performance boost (specifically in Windows Explorer - which is called by apps when opening/saving files) as windows does not not need to continuously update a huge index every time a file name/property is created/changed."

To confirm the steps I took to improve Affinity Photo Speed:

• Updated Windows 10 to version 20H2 (No improvement in performance)
  • Checked Firmware/Chipset/Graphics drivers were up to date (Was already up-to-date)
  • Cleaned my desktop of as many non-essential project files as I could (No improvement in performance)
  • Installed the latest Beta version of Affinity (Temporary improvement - went really slow again next day)
  • Set "Nvidia GTX 1060" as the default renderer in Affinity (Was already default but no no real difference when switching to InternalGPU)
  • Disabled "Open CL" Hardware Acceleration for Affinity (After updating Windows, finally being able to enable OpenCL made Affinity slower)
  • Disabled "Windows Search" (Main Fix - massively sped up Affinity and all other software)
  • Disabled "File Indexing" (Seems to have sped up my entire PC)
  • Turned off "Thumbnail Previews" when Affinity called "Windows File Explorer" with "Open File" command (Small Boost when browsing files with Affinity)

check if this is off, by AMD the biggest problem at the moment.

preferances.jpg

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, just got here in search of a solution for the sluggishness of Affity Photo.
I am on Mac, Monterrey 12.2.1 64GB RAM, dual GPU ( AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT and Radeon Pro WX 9100 ).
I have just raised the Affinity Photo available RAM from the default 48GB to 54GB. No improvement as you can see in the attached video.

I need to work on some 8k files, ACES. The program response is unbearable at this res.
I am not running any heavy load apps in the background.

Any help shall be very welcome.

Screenshot 2022-03-14 at 15.16.03.png

• 4 weeks later...

Disabling OpenCL solved it for me, too, but I do not really understand why this driver is used if it is so buggy. My setup is an Intel i5 7600K (iGPU only). Why doesn't the application check if the CPU/iGPU even supports OpenCL (or whatever happens here).

9 minutes ago, mgutt said:

Why doesn't the application check if the CPU/iGPU even supports OpenCL (or whatever happens here).

It does check. And the driver and GPU report that they support OpenCL. 

But they are apparently incorrect when they say that.

-- Walt
PC:

̶W̶̶̶a̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶j̶̶̶u̶̶̶s̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶k̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶g̶̶̶ ̶̶̶-̶̶̶ ̶̶̶h̶̶̶a̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶y̶̶̶o̶̶̶n̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶r̶̶̶i̶̶̶e̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶s̶̶̶t̶̶̶a̶̶̶l̶̶̶l̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶g̶̶̶ ̶̶̶A̶̶̶f̶̶̶f̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶i̶̶̶t̶̶̶y̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶o̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶ ̶̶̶R̶̶̶A̶̶̶M̶̶̶ ̶̶̶d̶̶̶i̶̶̶s̶̶̶k̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶o̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶r̶̶̶y̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶o̶̶̶ ̶̶̶i̶̶̶m̶̶̶p̶̶̶r̶̶̶o̶̶̶v̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶i̶̶̶t̶̶̶'̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶s̶̶̶l̶̶̶u̶̶̶g̶̶̶g̶̶̶i̶̶̶s̶̶̶h̶̶̶ ̶̶̶p̶̶̶e̶̶̶r̶̶̶f̶̶̶o̶̶̶r̶̶̶m̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶c̶̶̶e̶̶̶?̶̶̶
̶̶̶
̶̶̶I̶̶̶'̶̶̶v̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶h̶̶̶e̶̶̶a̶̶̶r̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶y̶̶̶o̶̶̶u̶̶̶ ̶̶̶c̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶ ̶̶̶g̶̶̶e̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶v̶̶̶e̶̶̶r̶̶̶a̶̶̶g̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶0̶̶̶%̶̶̶ ̶̶̶s̶̶̶p̶̶̶e̶̶̶e̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶i̶̶̶m̶̶̶p̶̶̶r̶̶̶o̶̶̶v̶̶̶e̶̶̶m̶̶̶e̶̶̶n̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶o̶̶̶v̶̶̶e̶̶̶r̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶o̶̶̶p̶̶̶-̶̶̶o̶̶̶f̶̶̶ ̶̶̶-̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶e̶̶̶-̶̶̶r̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶g̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶S̶̶̶S̶̶̶D̶̶̶ ̶̶̶b̶̶̶y̶̶̶ ̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶s̶̶̶t̶̶̶a̶̶̶l̶̶̶l̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶g̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶o̶̶̶ ̶̶̶R̶̶̶A̶̶̶M̶̶̶.̶̶̶
̶̶̶
̶̶̶O̶̶̶b̶̶̶v̶̶̶i̶̶̶o̶̶̶u̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶d̶̶̶o̶̶̶w̶̶̶n̶̶̶s̶̶̶i̶̶̶d̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶i̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶a̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶R̶̶̶A̶̶̶M̶̶̶ ̶̶̶i̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶e̶̶̶n̶̶̶ ̶̶̶r̶̶̶e̶̶̶s̶̶̶e̶̶̶r̶̶̶v̶̶̶e̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶ ̶̶̶D̶̶̶i̶̶̶s̶̶̶k̶̶̶D̶̶̶r̶̶̶i̶̶̶v̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶w̶̶̶o̶̶̶n̶̶̶'̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶b̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶l̶̶̶l̶̶̶o̶̶̶c̶̶̶a̶̶̶t̶̶̶e̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶s̶̶̶y̶̶̶s̶̶̶t̶̶̶e̶̶̶m̶̶̶ ̶̶̶R̶̶̶A̶̶̶M̶̶̶ ̶̶̶-̶̶̶ ̶̶̶b̶̶̶u̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶i̶̶̶f̶̶̶ ̶̶̶y̶̶̶o̶̶̶u̶̶̶ ̶̶̶h̶̶̶a̶̶̶v̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶1̶̶̶6̶̶̶G̶̶̶B̶̶̶ ̶̶̶o̶̶̶r̶̶̶ ̶̶̶m̶̶̶o̶̶̶r̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶R̶̶̶A̶̶̶M̶̶̶,̶̶̶ ̶̶̶i̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶m̶̶̶a̶̶̶y̶̶̶b̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶w̶̶̶o̶̶̶r̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶ ̶̶̶c̶̶̶r̶̶̶e̶̶̶a̶̶̶t̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶g̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶ ̶̶̶v̶̶̶i̶̶̶r̶̶̶t̶̶̶u̶̶̶a̶̶̶l̶̶̶ ̶̶̶d̶̶̶r̶̶̶i̶̶̶v̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶(̶̶̶u̶̶̶s̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶g̶̶̶ ̶̶̶R̶̶̶A̶̶̶M̶̶̶)̶̶̶ ̶̶̶j̶̶̶u̶̶̶s̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶f̶̶̶o̶̶̶r̶̶̶ ̶̶̶A̶̶̶f̶̶̶f̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶i̶̶̶t̶̶̶y̶̶̶ ̶̶̶p̶̶̶e̶̶̶r̶̶̶f̶̶̶o̶̶̶r̶̶̶m̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶c̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶b̶̶̶o̶̶̶o̶̶̶s̶̶̶t̶̶̶s̶̶̶.̶̶̶ ̶̶̶I̶̶̶f̶̶̶ ̶̶̶y̶̶̶o̶̶̶u̶̶̶ ̶̶̶d̶̶̶o̶̶̶ ̶̶̶f̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶y̶̶̶o̶̶̶u̶̶̶ ̶̶̶n̶̶̶e̶̶̶e̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶m̶̶̶o̶̶̶r̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶s̶̶̶y̶̶̶s̶̶̶t̶̶̶e̶̶̶m̶̶̶ ̶̶̶R̶̶̶A̶̶̶M̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶f̶̶̶t̶̶̶e̶̶̶r̶̶̶w̶̶̶a̶̶̶r̶̶̶d̶̶̶s̶̶̶,̶̶̶ ̶̶̶y̶̶̶o̶̶̶u̶̶̶ ̶̶̶c̶̶̶o̶̶̶u̶̶̶l̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶u̶̶̶s̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶ ̶̶̶f̶̶̶l̶̶̶a̶̶̶s̶̶̶h̶̶̶-̶̶̶d̶̶̶r̶̶̶i̶̶̶v̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶(̶̶̶o̶̶̶r̶̶̶ ̶̶̶S̶̶̶D̶̶̶)̶̶̶ ̶̶̶c̶̶̶a̶̶̶r̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶s̶̶̶y̶̶̶s̶̶̶t̶̶̶e̶̶̶m̶̶̶R̶̶̶A̶̶̶M̶̶̶ ̶̶̶b̶̶̶y̶̶̶ ̶̶̶u̶̶̶s̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶g̶̶̶ ̶̶̶W̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶d̶̶̶o̶̶̶w̶̶̶s̶̶̶-̶̶̶R̶̶̶e̶̶̶a̶̶̶d̶̶̶y̶̶̶-̶̶̶B̶̶̶o̶̶̶o̶̶̶s̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶(̶̶̶o̶̶̶r̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶ ̶̶̶l̶̶̶a̶̶̶s̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶r̶̶̶e̶̶̶s̶̶̶o̶̶̶r̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶y̶̶̶o̶̶̶u̶̶̶ ̶̶̶c̶̶̶o̶̶̶u̶̶̶l̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶u̶̶̶s̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶ ̶̶̶p̶̶̶a̶̶̶g̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶g̶̶̶ ̶̶̶f̶̶̶i̶̶̶l̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶o̶̶̶n̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶ ̶̶̶h̶̶̶a̶̶̶r̶̶̶d̶̶̶d̶̶̶i̶̶̶s̶̶̶k̶̶̶ ̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶s̶̶̶t̶̶̶e̶̶̶a̶̶̶d̶̶̶)̶̶̶.̶̶̶
̶̶̶
̶̶̶T̶̶̶h̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶p̶̶̶e̶̶̶r̶̶̶f̶̶̶o̶̶̶r̶̶̶m̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶c̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶o̶̶̶f̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶R̶̶̶A̶̶̶M̶̶̶ ̶̶̶d̶̶̶i̶̶̶s̶̶̶k̶̶̶ ̶̶̶w̶̶̶o̶̶̶u̶̶̶l̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶m̶̶̶o̶̶̶r̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶ ̶̶̶l̶̶̶i̶̶̶k̶̶̶e̶̶̶l̶̶̶y̶̶̶ ̶̶̶o̶̶̶u̶̶̶t̶̶̶w̶̶̶e̶̶̶i̶̶̶g̶̶̶h̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶s̶̶̶l̶̶̶i̶̶̶g̶̶̶h̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶l̶̶̶o̶̶̶s̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶o̶̶̶f̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶v̶̶̶a̶̶̶i̶̶̶l̶̶̶a̶̶̶b̶̶̶l̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶s̶̶̶y̶̶̶s̶̶̶t̶̶̶e̶̶̶m̶̶̶ ̶̶̶R̶̶̶A̶̶̶M̶̶̶ ̶̶̶-̶̶̶ ̶̶̶e̶̶̶s̶̶̶p̶̶̶e̶̶̶c̶̶̶i̶̶̶a̶̶̶l̶̶̶l̶̶̶y̶̶̶ ̶̶̶w̶̶̶h̶̶̶e̶̶̶n̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶u̶̶̶s̶̶̶e̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶R̶̶̶A̶̶̶M̶̶̶ ̶̶̶i̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶r̶̶̶e̶̶̶-̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶s̶̶̶t̶̶̶a̶̶̶t̶̶̶e̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶R̶̶̶e̶̶̶a̶̶̶d̶̶̶y̶̶̶-̶̶̶B̶̶̶o̶̶̶o̶̶̶s̶̶̶t̶̶̶/̶̶̶P̶̶̶a̶̶̶g̶̶̶e̶̶̶-̶̶̶F̶̶̶i̶̶̶l̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶R̶̶̶A̶̶̶M̶̶̶.̶̶̶
̶̶̶
̶̶̶M̶̶̶i̶̶̶g̶̶̶h̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶b̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶w̶̶̶o̶̶̶r̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶r̶̶̶y̶̶̶.̶̶̶

Scrap that - I just created a RAM drive and installed Affinity Photo to it. The program does boot and and run A LOT quicker from RAM than SSD - but it still slows to a crawl as soon as windows file explorer is called to open/save a file.

I think the best fix would be for Affinity to build their own file browser for future versions.

• 4 months later...
On 8/11/2021 at 12:23 PM, Chris B said:

Please try disabling OpenCL from Preferences > Peformance.

Can you also tell me what graphics card and driver you are using?

I've just disabled OpenCL, it gets better at once. I m so happy.  Many thanks, 

I'm afraid it's something belonging to UEFI.

Why do I say this?

In these last 10 days, I had some issue for other reasons, and I had to put my hands on the AMD Ryzen 7 UEFI.After a reparametrization (which still in test), I notice I don't get any longer the freezes, a part a small lasting one, when for the first time (after the boot) I open any template.

Please here what I did:

Aorus X570 Elite 1.0 (Gigabyte) CPU Ryzen 7 3500x

Uefi ver 37d (valid also for 36d)

• Tweaker > System Memory multiplier > from AUTO to 32
  • Tweaker > FCLK Frequency > from AUTO to 1600MHz
  • Tweaker > Advanced Memory Settings > Memory Subtimings > ProcODT > from AUTO to 40 Ohm
  • Tweaker > Advanced Memory Settings > Memory Subtimings > Gear Down Mode > from AUTO to ENABLED
  • Tweaker > VDDG Voltage Control > from AUTO to MANUAL
  • Tweaker > VDDG Voltage > 1100
  • Tweaker > CPU VRAM Settings > CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration > from AUTO to HIGH

• Settings > Platform Power > Power Loading > from AUTO to ENABLED

• Boot > CSM Support > from DISABLED to ENABLED

That's it