You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo works very slow and unaccurate after update

After the latest upgrade working with Affinity Photo feels as if my system is too slow to work with a large file.
However I work with normal size photo's in a low resolution. By using "inpainting" the size of the cursor/circle varies constantly.
The cursor does not move fluently anymore.

Hi Chris, disabling OpenCL does not change anything. I use to be able to move around Artboard with ease and everything loaded/rendered within a second.

Now, it's not the case which is a real shame.... This is also the case with Affinity Photo now.

I understood from the new releases that there were going to be Huge performance gains, but I only have losses.

Graphics card: 
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

Mabook Pro Late 2011
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Running off a nice Samsung SSD too.
Free memory is 9.5 GB

Thanks in advance

On 8/11/2021 at 3:16 PM, Antoine_neth said:

Sorry, I forgot to send you the information about the graphic card.

Grafische kaart.png

Hi Antoine.

I told you what graphic card. RADEON FX590
Well I don't re-install the version 1.10. Sorry. The reason? I can't roll-back without delete EVERYTHING. I did already one time and I was very disappointed.
So all the brushes I installed everything: I have to delete, in case any roll-back is needed again.

• Staff
On 8/11/2021 at 12:30 PM, Chopper said:

Hi Chris, disabling OpenCL does not change anything. I use to be able to move around Artboard with ease and everything loaded/rendered within a second.

Now, it's not the case which is a real shame.... This is also the case with Affinity Photo now.

I understood from the new releases that there were going to be Huge performance gains, but I only have losses.

Graphics card: 
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

Mabook Pro Late 2011
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Running off a nice Samsung SSD too.
Free memory is 9.5 GB

Thanks in advance

So does your Windows machine and your Mac both perform poorly after updating?

On 8/13/2021 at 11:54 AM, Chris B said:

Are you able to disable OpenCL? 

I wanted to try.I tried. NO no no! It's a DISASTER! Also disabling the OpenGL etc: it's a mess!

Sorry but I think you have to provide soon to a REAL release. This is  not to be used in production environment.
Now I downdate again.

• 3 months later...

I face similar issues after the last update to version 1.10.4. Before this update I had no issue when working with Affinity but now it is nearly impossible to work.

Even with small jpeg-files it takes ages to select a small area of an image with the selection brush tool.

I'm sorry to write that but at the moment it is a disaster to work with Affinity.... 😔

Regards,

Michael

• 1 month later...

Same for me, 7th Gen i7, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060 (3GB).
Since buying Affinity photo, it's almost completely unusable.... so slow, especially browsing for files.
Has killed my system several times as it also makes Windows Explorer unresponsively slow after closing Affinity Photo.
Really disappointing. v11.04.

Considering an alternative software but will probably just install a cracked older version instead.

13 hours ago, VeganPete said:

Same for me, 7th Gen i7, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060 (3GB).
Since buying Affinity photo, it's almost completely unusable.... so slow, especially browsing for files.
Has killed my system several times as it also makes Windows Explorer unresponsively slow after closing Affinity Photo.
Really disappointing. v11.04.

Considering an alternative software but will probably just install a cracked older version instead.

hey dude! Not necessary to go illegal!! Cracked is illegal and there are not rights to do that not any justifications.
Just download and install an older version!

No,downloading and installing a "cracked" copy of Affinity Photo isn't illegal. I own a license ;)

Speaking of legality though - "Serif" took my money yet didn't provide the Professional service I paid for. There's an obvious irony and unfairness when cracked versions work perfectly, while the paid version kills my system (potentially causing hardware damage and loss of business). The legality of a software "contract" is mutually binding, it's not just a one-way clause.

Having said that, I know a lot of people frown upon cracking - especially when mentioning it on a forum - so you'll be happy to know I did download an older version and it's working perfectly - but why should I have to use an older version than the one I paid for?

All paid developers should fix their major bugs if they want to keep their existing customers, especially bugs which cause total system failure - completely unforgivable in a major full-price release and annoying when so-called forum guru's try to shame paying customers, while at the same time completely ignoring the software's shortcomings and genuine query.

Shame on you Serif, my money will be going to more passionate devs in the future. 😤

1 hour ago, VeganPete said:

No,downloading and installing a "cracked" copy of Affinity Photo isn't illegal. I own a license ;)

You sure about that? Owning a license to install one piece of software doesn't mean you can break a law.

When I hear someone talk cavalierly about downloading and installing cracked software I always wonder "What else have they installed on their machine? Could that perhaps be the source of all the problems they are experiencing?" 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Yes, I'm sure it would not be "illegal" for me to install a cracked copy of of Affinity Photo if I so wanted.
Installing cracked software is not "breaking the law" whenever one owns a paid license for said software.

No, my "cavalier attitude" is not the "root cause" of the Affinity software containing a bug either.
Like I said in the comment, I don't actually have a cracked copy installed - seems like your biased imagination is running away with you.

It's no coincidence that a plethora of people are reporting the exact same problem, flagged as a bug - but if it will make your day feel more comfortable to imagine the software is not working for me as a result of my computer being a heaving rats-nest of trojans and crack-viruses, please feel free.

Like I say, I wont be paying to upgrade any more as this is the state of affairs when reporting issues of purchased software.

Completely nonconstructive, unsupportive and uninspiring.

On 1/24/2022 at 3:20 PM, VeganPete said:

Yes, I'm sure it would not be "illegal" for me to install a cracked copy of of Affinity Photo if I so wanted.
Installing cracked software is not "breaking the law" whenever one owns a paid license for said software.

No, my "cavalier attitude" is not the "root cause" of the Affinity software containing a bug either.
Like I said in the comment, I don't actually have a cracked copy installed - seems like your biased imagination is running away with you.

It's no coincidence that a plethora of people are reporting the exact same problem, flagged as a bug - but if it will make your day feel more comfortable to imagine the software is not working for me as a result of my computer being a heaving rats-nest of trojans and crack-viruses, please feel free.

Like I say, I wont be paying to upgrade any more as this is the state of affairs when reporting issues of purchased software.

Completely nonconstructive, unsupportive and uninspiring.

Totally agree with this. On another note disabling OpenCL did fix it for me. It was completely unusable with OpenCL enabled. 

On 1/24/2022 at 2:21 PM, VeganPete said:

Speaking of legality though - "Serif" took my money yet didn't provide the Professional service I paid for. There's an obvious irony and unfairness when cracked versions work perfectly, while the paid version kills my system (potentially causing hardware damage and loss of business). The legality of a software "contract" is mutually binding, it's not just a one-way clause.

Having said that, I know a lot of people frown upon cracking - especially when mentioning it on a forum - so you'll be happy to know I did download an older version and it's working perfectly - but why should I have to use an older version than the one I paid for?

All paid developers should fix their major bugs if they want to keep their existing customers, especially bugs which cause total system failure - completely unforgivable in a major full-price release and annoying when so-called forum guru's try to shame paying customers, while at the same time completely ignoring the software's shortcomings and genuine query.

Shame on you Serif, my money will be going to more passionate devs in the future. 😤

I understand your point. But encouraging cracking is not a fair action.
For what you are mentioning, about the fact you pay to get not good things, there are other ways to act and more legal ones. Moreover the market is full of Free software even online (ses Photopea, for instance). No need to crack 🙂
But yes, your point is valid in terms of principle.

On 1/26/2022 at 7:23 PM, Jumper1 said:

Totally agree with this. On another note disabling OpenCL did fix it for me. It was completely unusable with OpenCL enabled. 

I disabled Open GL immediately after the first suggestion I got. Not any amelioration.

Yep, valid in terms of both principal and legality (I'm not acting illegally at all). Why would you recommend use "Photopea" when I've paid for Affinity Photo? Surely they should fix the software I paid for, rather than people questioning "my" morality. Like I say, a purchase-agreement legally binds the vendor to the same contract for sale - not just the customer.

When you say I'm not being fair can you expand on that please? -why do you feel that I'm being unfair when you've recognised that we paying customers are essentially being ripped-off by a software-giant who refuses to meet their basic customer-care obligations?

They "Promised" massive speed improvements with this update - after purchase, the software is unusable. In my mind, that's not just unfair, it probably fraud - especially when you factor-in that they are point-blank refusing to acknowledge or fix it.

So far, all they've said is "disable OpenCL". That doesn't fix the problem (haven't seen anyone else say it fixed it for them either). In my case, I can't even enable OpenCL if I wanted to - I can't disable it because it's not even enabled - so definitely not a fix for this known issue.

They have a legal obligation to fix this issue (bound by their contract of sale with me to provide the software I paid for - or at the very least offer refunds to the customers who are being affected and not supported).

As a reminder - the software is completely unusable in it's current state for a lot of their customers. Ridiculous to say use free softwares (such as GIMP or Photopea) instead - that's not a fair solution

This is getting ridiculous. In fact, I'm considering escalating this as a case of "digital fraud" with my bank - and have the payment automatically reversed. I advise others to do the same if the issue is not resolved punctiliously. It's the best way to get things changed - take your money back.

I'll give them one week to respond constructively before I report it to my bank's fraud department.

Not sure who you are replying to.

Regardless. Have you actually read the End User License Agreement (EULA)?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

I'm not going into the legality of what has been discussed off-topic. 

I will however say that since implementing OpenCL, we have had a number of users complain about performance. We offered two lots of advice—either disable OpenCL or try and diagnose the issue and ensure things like your graphics drivers were up to date. Disabling OpenCL will just leave you with exactly the same performance as before OpenCL was implemented.

Your Nvidia GTX 1060 supports OpenCL - if OpenCL is not working on your machine, there is a conflict somewhere in your system/drivers. We have machines with 1060's and other 10 series cards, as well as 20 series and 30 series all of which working with OpenCL.

The fact your Windows Explorer has issues after Affinity shuts down also suggests potential issues with the machine. You can say other software doesn't do this but not all software works the same way. Another point you made 'so slow, especially browsing for files' also suggests an issue rooted within Windows Explorer - we just call Windows Explorer. Do you have any apps that handle thumbnail previews?

34 minutes ago, VeganPete said:

They "Promised" massive speed improvements with this update

Yes—if your system is healthy and configured correctly. Your graphics card, as mentioned above, supports OpenCL and should be working. You said you can't enable OpenCL which again, is odd - you should absolutely be able to enable and disable it at your leisure. The fact you cannot enable it suggests it might be a driver issue or something else...

What is your renderer set to currently? WARP, Intel or your GTX card?

What version of Widows are you using? Can you press the Windows key and type winver and paste a screenshot here. Also, can you provide a screenshot of your dxdiag screen for both system and display?

Finally, go to C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0 and attach the Log.txt 

I am sorry you are having issues but there are thousands of hardware and software combinations on Windows and it's not easy to diagnose and fix absolutely everything - but we can try.

I have a nVidia GTX 1060 and all Affinity apps work very well with Open CL. It has to be something else... and I think I know where the problem is....

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"