You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.10.0] Crash when scaling pattern layer

IPv6

I have a file (see attach) with pattern layer. Every time i trying to scale this layer - AP crashes as soon as mouse button is released.

Steps:
- choose tiles patter layer
- activate arrow tool, blue dots will arrive on layer (for scale/rotate)

- press and hold control (to keep center) and drag scale dot a bit

- release mouse button or control -> AP will crash //

water_caustic1.afphoto

I scaled multiple times, all using CTRL.  No crashes.

Edit: A-ha.  I turned OFF Hardware Acceleration and it crashed on the second scale.  I can't believe I'm suggesting turning ON Hardware Acceleration to address a crashing issue.  I'm turning mine back on.  I don't know if it makes a difference but here Retina Rendering is set to Automatic(Best).

This whole pattern layer issue in the latest release of Affinity Photo (and Affinity Publisher) gets very bizar.

I'm the initiator of the other thread related to this problem (see above).

As an extra test on my side, I downloaded the document file (water_caustic1) posted by the owner of this post, and I could never trigger a crash (so far) with this document. Using the CTRL key while scaling the pattern source layer didn't have an impact.

I also switched between OpenCL enabled and disabled, but it made no difference on my PC: it never crashed!

Meanwhile, every pattern layer that I create myself, crashes all the time... Very strange.

Windows 10 Pro - 21H1 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X - 12 core - 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 - 3.6 GHz RAM | Nvidia RTX 3060 - 12GB VRAM | 2TB SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Wacom Intuos 4M

Full Affinity Suite (Photo, Designer & Publisher): all version 1.10.5.1342 with HW acceleration ON, Nvidia Studio drivers up-to-date (511.65)

Capture One for Sony v.22 (build 15.1.1.2) | Nik Collection (DXO version 4.3.3) | Topaz AI (Denoise 3.6.1, Sharpen 4.1.0 & Gigapixel 5.8.0)

• 1 month later...

I too am suffering with pattern layers whether using in Photo Persona in Publisher or directly in Photo. Was delighted to see/find this addition when reviewing filters online. Had an immediate visualising need using a swatch sample. Made seamless using the "affine" displacement (discovered at the same time), but each time I create a pattern layer, either using the selection, or by defining and then merging down into, the same result. Layer fills canvas, stutters and then crashes apps. 

My first test with just a PNG I imported worked perfectly, or appeared to, until it crashed in the background when I flipped to another app. 

Now I can occasionally start to manipulate rotate and admire, but as soon as I release… crash.

Disappointing, please fix asap

(I have just noticed that this is Windows specific forum – but the problem isn't – I'm on iMac will try and move)

Edited by Like, would like more if…
Wrong place maybe

Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB RAM running Sonoma 14.2.1
ASUS ProArt screen and Hewlett Packard HD second screen. 
Affinity Suite 2.4.0 and Beta releases

26 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Please try the fix in the beta if you are struggling with Pattern layers.

Windows - 

Hi @Chris B,

I initiated this issue in a post on 6th of August. Afterwards, there were also some similar posts by other users.

I was thus curious to find out whether this issue is resolved in the latest beta on Windows. I downloaded this version as soon as I saw the announcement of the beta availability (cf. your message above).

I did the download on a spare machine (for non-productive use). I can confirm that the bug does no longer happen on this test machine. This is very good news!!!

However, one 'disclaimer': My test PC is an older one, with a GPU that is (unfortunately) not qualified for AP's hardware acceleration. 

My earlier tests (with my production PC) seemed to indicate that there could be 2 'flavors' of the crash:

• Without HW acceleration, the crash occurs for all types of documents.
  • With HW acceleration, the crash only occurred with documents that use the CMYK color model.

In summary, my tests with the beta version seem to indicate that the first 'flavor' is fixed now. Unfortunately, I can't test the 2nd scenario because I don't have hardware acceleration on my test PC, due to the uncompliant GPU of that machine.

I prefer not to download beta versions on my main production PC, so I can't verify whether the pattern issue is solved for CMYK documents in combination with hardware acceleration.

Hopefully, this can be tested by other users.

Meanwhile, thanks for solving at least the first problem already.

PS: I remember that the Photo Persona in Publisher had the same problem with pattern layers. I've not (yet) tested whether the pattern problem is solved in the most recent Publisher betas (I'm mostly a Affinity Photo user...).

Kind regards.

Windows 10 Pro - 21H1 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X - 12 core - 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 - 3.6 GHz RAM | Nvidia RTX 3060 - 12GB VRAM | 2TB SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Wacom Intuos 4M

Full Affinity Suite (Photo, Designer & Publisher): all version 1.10.5.1342 with HW acceleration ON, Nvidia Studio drivers up-to-date (511.65)

Capture One for Sony v.22 (build 15.1.1.2) | Nik Collection (DXO version 4.3.3) | Topaz AI (Denoise 3.6.1, Sharpen 4.1.0 & Gigapixel 5.8.0)

I have downloaded the Publisher Beta version and it would appear that this has not been fixed in that application yet. The same behaviour occurs (although sometimes with a slight delay) but essentially in the Photo Persona you can create and edit the layer (scale rotate etc), but as soon as you click away it will crash.👎

• Staff
15 hours ago, Like, would like more if… said:

I have downloaded the Publisher Beta version and it would appear that this has not been fixed in that application yet. The same behaviour occurs (although sometimes with a slight delay) but essentially in the Photo Persona you can create and edit the layer (scale rotate etc), but as soon as you click away it will crash.👎

The Publisher beta is older than the Photo beta - it should come at some point. 

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

The Publisher beta is older than the Photo beta - it should come at some point. 

That's good, it's the first time that I have downloaded Beta versions and I don't really know where they sit relative to one another app wise in the development cycle. Look forward to full suite updates as they are becoming stronger and stronger with each release.

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

I cannot reproduce it in CMYK

I assume that you mean that you cannot reproduce it for CMYK (and HW acceleration ON) in the last beta version of Affinity Photo for Windows?

If so, it looks as if the bug is completely solved on AP for Windows 👍.