You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Seperate paragraph and line spacing in text frame?

When I use a text frame with more than one paragraph, the space between the paragraphs is good, but that same spacing is applied to the text within the paragraph as well, and if I shrink that it causes issues.

If I want paragraphs to be right next to each other and use a spacing of 6pt, then when typing within a paragraph the text overlaps itself when it word wraps to the next line.

In word line spacing and paragraph spacing are different settings, so i cant seem to figure this one out

In the Paragraph panel the Spacing section provides 3 settings of interest to you:

1. Leading: the space between lines.
  2. Space Before a paragraph
  3. Space After a paragraph

image.png.9e0dbcb3367e720adfc5e703c234a8b0.png

There are also equivalent settings in Paragraph Text Styles.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...

It does not work. When the font size exceeds about 80 pt, the spacing between adjacent text lines is fixed - it is the same regardless of the font size. It does not matter whether the spacing is set to default or any other value. Once this bug appears, there is no way to turn it off. This bug may be related to importing text from Photoshop. (I use Affinity Photo 1.10.1)

566342274_affinitytextspacingbug.jpg.ca241bde6c7f30ea55a25e7212155306.jpg

3 hours ago, towelhead said:

I have erased the bad text, so I cannot test your advice. I will do it when I encounter this bug again.

It isn't a bug. Leading Override does just what the name suggests, which is to override the normal paragraph leading. Because it is in the Character panel it can be applied to any selection of text characters anywhere in a paragraph but because leading affects entire lines of text, it will override the paragraph leading on every line where it is set to anything other than the default ("Auto") value.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7