You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo: Select part of an image, scale just the part that you selected

Can you give us a screenshot of your Affinity Photo window, including the image and the Layers panel, and describe a bit more about what part you're trying to scale?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

it's really as simple as that

Open an image

Select part of the image

Scale the part that you just selected.

Looks like you have to "Rasterize" first.

although now it leaves a white line on the edge of the selection for no apparent reason.

This is a 30 sec operation in PS

Just now, F+C said:

Looks like you have to "Rasterize" first.

If you are truly using File > Open, and it's an image (JPG, TIFF, PNG, or raw file of some form) then you should not need to Rasterize. That's partly why I wanted to see a screenshot :)

If you use File > Open and one of those file types, you will end up with a Pixel layer. If you do something else, then you may end up with an Image layer, and then yes, you would need to Rasterize.

For the white line, I'd also want to see a screenshot to understand what you're seeing.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks.

Zoomed in that far I'm not sure what that line is associated with. Sorry. Perhaps someone else will have an idea.

-- Walt
PC:

I don't get a line like that when I try to duplicate what you've described so far.

I did manage to get a different kind of line, because the gray background is not uniform, and with one of my selections and movements I could clearly see the difference between the gray in the new layer and the gray in the background layer.

I don't think that's what you're seeing, though.

If you'd care to save it as a .afphoto file and share it here, I can take a further look.

-- Walt
PC:

On 8/10/2021 at 8:37 PM, F+C said:

although now it leaves a white line on the edge of the selection for no apparent reason.

Olivio Sarikas has a video about extending the background and he mentions this problem that may happen.
He also presents a solution.

Pay close attention at 2:30

Olivio Sarikas: Extend Photo Background | Made Easy - Affinity Photo Tutorial