You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer crashes on "Convert to Curves" command on 'text'

I have a file that many music symbols that come from the Bravura font (Google it if need be, it's free under SIL).

I put some symbols together in that font. Press "Convert to curves" and Designer crashes. Has happened now, 6 times in a row.

Crash log below.

Using 1.10

Robby

Designer Crash Aug 9 2021.rtf

Edited by Robby Poole
Adding software version number

• Staff

Hi Robby Poole,

We've got a similar known issue when using Emojis, so I suspect it'll be the same. However I've downloaded the font, and tried a few characters but cannot reproduce the crash.

Would you mind sharing a file containing a few text objects that are crashing for you please?

• Staff
15 hours ago, Robby Poole said:

@Sean P Here is the file.

In the bottom are 2 connected notes, in Bravura font (3 glyphs), 3 different point sizes. Designer crashes, when I try to convert any of those to curves.

Robby

Music at different sizes file.afdesign

Thanks for the file - It is actually the background colour on those pieces of text that is causing the crash.

If you highlight the text and go to Text > Character Panel you can remove the white background colour by clicking the white swatch and then applying the No Fill option on the top right of the flyout. This will allow you to convert the text to curves, and should also remove the need for those cropping rectangles. I'll get the issue updated with development.

9 hours ago, imagineering4 said:

Am having the same problem. Latest version of Affinity Designer (1.10.0). Text underlining single and double causes Designer to crash on "Converting to Curves."

Did not happen in previous versions of Designer.

Thanks for this I've also updated the issue with this information as well.

I also have this issue after updating to 1.10 and have the following terminal output after Affinity Designer crashes:

Last login: Wed Aug 11 07:17:23 on console
➜  ~ /Applications/Affinity\ Designer.app/Contents/MacOS/Affinity\ Designer ; exit;
2021-08-11 07:31:14.248 Affinity Designer[1244:21988] CoreText note: Client requested name ".SFNS-RegularItalic", it will get Times-Roman rather than the intended font. All system UI font access should be through proper APIs such as CTFontCreateUIFontForLanguage() or +[NSFont systemFontOfSize:].
2021-08-11 07:31:14.248 Affinity Designer[1244:21988] CoreText note: Set a breakpoint on CTFontLogSystemFontNameRequest to debug.
2021-08-11 07:31:20.639 Affinity Designer[1244:21988] *** WARNING: Method convertPointToBase: in class NSView is deprecated on 10.7 and later. It should not be used in new applications. 
[1]    1244 segmentation fault  /Applications/Affinity\ Designer.app/Contents/MacOS/Affinity\ Designer
Saving session...completed.
Deleting expired sessions...       2 completed.

[Process completed]

I am using Georgia Bold and Regular in the file as well as a Google Font Parisienne with a stroke applied to it. Please let me know if you need additional info. I am not using underlines for any of my text.

Edited by chilldsgn

• Staff
13 minutes ago, chilldsgn said:

I also have this issue after updating to 1.10 and have the following terminal output after Affinity Designer crashes:

Last login: Wed Aug 11 07:17:23 on console
➜  ~ /Applications/Affinity\ Designer.app/Contents/MacOS/Affinity\ Designer ; exit;
2021-08-11 07:31:14.248 Affinity Designer[1244:21988] CoreText note: Client requested name ".SFNS-RegularItalic", it will get Times-Roman rather than the intended font. All system UI font access should be through proper APIs such as CTFontCreateUIFontForLanguage() or +[NSFont systemFontOfSize:].
2021-08-11 07:31:14.248 Affinity Designer[1244:21988] CoreText note: Set a breakpoint on CTFontLogSystemFontNameRequest to debug.
2021-08-11 07:31:20.639 Affinity Designer[1244:21988] *** WARNING: Method convertPointToBase: in class NSView is deprecated on 10.7 and later. It should not be used in new applications. 
[1]    1244 segmentation fault  /Applications/Affinity\ Designer.app/Contents/MacOS/Affinity\ Designer
Saving session...completed.
Deleting expired sessions...       2 completed.

[Process completed]

I am using Georgia Bold and Regular in the file as well as a Google Font Parisienne with a stroke applied to it. Please let me know if you need additional info. I am not using underlines for any of my text.

Could you share the file that is causing the crash when you click Convert please? Feel free to delete any objects that are not part of object that is crashing (though please do check it does still crash for you after deleting those objects).

10 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Could you share the file that is causing the crash when you click Convert please? Feel free to delete any objects that are not part of object that is crashing (though please do check it does still crash for you after deleting those objects).

Oh yes, sure, sorry had to remove some personally identifying elements from the design (privacy laws lol) to respect client privacy.

I select everything, convert to curves, app crashes.

I select a textbox with the Google Font (Parisienne), convert to curves, app does not crash.

I select a textbox with Georgia (Regular and Bold), convert to curves, app crashes. 

Could be an issue with system fonts? 

test.afdesign

• Staff
7 minutes ago, chilldsgn said:

Oh yes, sure, sorry had to remove some personally identifying elements from the design (privacy laws lol) to respect client privacy.

I select everything, convert to curves, app crashes.

I select a textbox with the Google Font (Parisienne), convert to curves, app does not crash.

I select a textbox with Georgia (Regular and Bold), convert to curves, app crashes. 

Could be an issue with system fonts? 

test.afdesign 906.16 kB · 1 download

Thanks for the file - The text frame on the right hand side that contains an emoji is triggering the crash. Unfortunately converting text containing an emoji will also cause the crash - as I said we do have it logged with development to be fixed. 

With regards to that error message I've passed that on.

I’m also struggling with this; converting text with a background colour to curves crashes the program… is this a known bug? And if so, does anyone know if/when a fix might be coming? It’s getting very annoying having to create my own backgrounds!

On 8/17/2021 at 11:33 AM, Terentyev Publisher said:

Same story with crashing when converting to curves frame text with background color. I need to convert with the background colour.

Crashes on both Designer and Publisher

3 minutes ago, jamesxr23 said:

I’m also struggling with this; converting text with a background colour to curves crashes the program… is this a known bug? And if so, does anyone know if/when a fix might be coming? It’s getting very annoying having to create my own backgrounds!

It's fixed in the 1.10.1.1138 beta for Publisher, so it will probably be fixed in the 1.10.1 release (or a beta, if any) for Designer, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Unfortunately I am experiencing the same "crash" issue since I updated to the newest version of Affinity Designer. 

Converting to curves was quite simple in the past.  Select all text then convert to curves.  All done!

Now when I do the same, the file disappears...

Has anyone discovered a fix or workaround for this?  I am stuck on a very important project...

Thanks in advance.

38 minutes ago, dooliedoo said:

Has anyone discovered a fix or workaround for this?  I am stuck on a very important project..

If you have Publisher, use the Publisher beta. If not, and if you purchased Designer from Serif, you can downgrade to 1.9.3. Or if you purchased from Apple, you can downgrade using a TimeMachine backup. Or, you can wait for 1.10.1, which should be out within a few days.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1