You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What PDFs are supported for passthrough?

I am getting these errors and the documents are rasterized. I'm trying to figure out what PDF is supported to not be rasterized. Is there anywhere that gives a listing? I cna't find one on the help or the Affinity site. I would prefer the vector to passthrough and not be rasterized but I cannot find a version that works with Publisher.1399881001_ScreenShot2021-08-09at4_08_10PM.jpg.d3a97d46e165498310b5f2c2ede2dd52.jpg

thanks!

What Export settings are you using?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I've tried all of those in the list. When they come back in preflight always says they are incompatible. 

It does not seem to matter if it's the newest at 1.7 or the oldest at1.3 or PDF/X-4. They all have the same error and many will be rasterized on output. I check to make sure the PDf that came out of Designer is vector. I then place it in Publisher - preflight always gives the warning - Sometimes it's vector on output but many times it is not - as the warning suggests. I would like to see a list of what is fully compatible with passthrough in Publisher, but i haven't found it yet. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 5.54.19 PM.jpg

50 minutes ago, Bryce said:

I would like to see a list of what is fully compatible with passthrough in Publisher, but i haven't found it yet. 

It should be (I think) that as long as the export options request the same or a newer version than the PDF version, that it should work.

There's no list other than the one in the Help, though, as far as I know: https://affinity.help/publisher/English.lproj/pages/Publishing/preflight.html

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

I tried it again, there is no setting of PDF that is compatible with AFfinity's placing option that won't be rasterized to a JPG in side a PDF container - according to the prevlight dialog box.

I wish Serif would be definitive on this so I knew what to choose. What does not work is PDF Export. It really does rasterize everything when the page is exported that the PDF was placed on. 

• 1 month later...

Also trying to get to the bottom of this.

Here's a quick and dirty test showing any PDF placed as passthrough will get rasterized. A passthrough placed Press Ready (1.7) PDF exported as Press Ready (1.7) fails, as does an X/4 PDF exported to X/4. These are linked PDFs, but even when embedded, they fail. Only fix is to interpret. (Actually, I can embed, then edit the embed and outline the text, but that's hardly a feasible workflow.)

Madness I say!

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 12.49.48 PM.png