You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Trying to get my head round Affinity workflow. 

I did read this old thread Workflow of raw files in Affinity Photo and wondering whether there are any work arounds for these scenarios.

Edit RAW file in Affinity Develop Module

Make further changes in Affinity Photo Module

Find I need to make further changes to the RAW image

Is there a workaround to keep the work I have done or do I have to dump the Affinity work and start from scratch

2. Similar question if I process a RAW image in DXO Photo Lab and then send it to Affinity and after processing in Affinity find I need to make changes to the RAW image in Photolab.

20 minutes ago, stefanjan said:

Find I need to make further changes to the RAW image

Is there a workaround to keep the work I have done or do I have to dump the Affinity work and start from scratch

From the Photo persona, click on the Develop persona icon (top left).

22 minutes ago, stefanjan said:

if I process a RAW image in DXO Photo Lab and then send it to Affinity and after processing in Affinity find I need to make changes to the RAW image in Photolab.

The original raw image file is not modified by any development software. What you send to Affinity Photo is a developed image. Are you wanting the Affinity-modified image to be sent back to the PhotoLab Raw processor?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Hi,

the mostly used workflow is to keep edits in Develop persona to the absolute minimum. This will reduce the chance that you have to "make further changes to the RAW image" to almost zero. Besides the technically required conversion from RAW to RGB pixel layer, almost all other edits can be made in Photo Persona (or Tone Map Persona), and non-destructively. This is the charm of Affinity Photo that most edits can be done nondestructively.

So use Develop Persona only for:

• Initial exposure adjustments (including shadows & highlights)
  • Lens correction
  • CA correction
  • But nothing else.

Then use Photo persona for the rest. If required, you can simply re-edit in Develop Persona, but this might conflict to some later changes.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 hour ago, NotMyFault said:

the mostly used workflow is to keep edits in Develop persona to the absolute minimum.

Thanks. Do most people develop in Affinity or develop in DXO Photolab and send a 16 bit TIFF to Affinity, wondering whether Photolab is better e.g  for lens correction and / or Deep Prime noise reduction.

And is there a difference saving the TIFF with Affinity layers and saving as an afphoto

8 minutes ago, stefanjan said:

DXO Photolab and send a 16 bit TIFF

Usually 8bit but sometimes 16. I suggest you do your own tests for lens correction using both programs. I've done enough to convince me that Photolab is superior. As to noise reduction, Deep Prime is as good as it gets. I tend to use mainly spot adjustments, it's quick and easy in PL. If you need to use the Repair/Clone tools in PL then it can save a lot of time with the clone tool in an image editor. The only reason I can think of to develop raw files in APhoto is that PL doesn't handle the files eg Fuji X-Trans

Or to put it another way, if I only had APhoto to develop raws I would go back to shooting jpegs out of the camera

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

This is how I do it in Photo: After doing the adjustments to the raw file, I use that result as a base layer and do not make destructive adjustments to it.  I try to do as much as possible non-destructive when I am not sure about having to re-do the raw adjustments.

In case that I need to make re-edits to the raw file, I do so and just swap out the base layer (which is the developed tif file). All the adjustment layers on top remain in place.

However, there are limits to this approach. If you do some massive changes to the previous raw edit, you might have to re-do most of your edits any way. But if you only make some local changes in the raw edits, this method works just fine. 

But to be honest, If you get the raw adjustments at least roughly in to the ball park, you should be able to do even major adjustements in the developed tif file.

Unlike many raw converters, AP has no facility for recording the settings you dial in during raw conversion (like a sidecar file, database, or embedded DNG metadata). If you do a raw conversion into the Photo persona and simply close the resulting file, when you open the raw file again, you start over. 

Similarly, AP has no analog to a Smart Object in PS. So, once you perform your raw conversion into an RGB file, you cannot reopen it into the Develop persona as the original raw file; you can, however, open the converted RGB file in the Develop persona and edit it there, if the tools there are better for whatever it is you are trying to accomplish. This is analogous to editing an RGB file in PS using the Camera Raw filter. 

Because almost everything you might want to do to an RGB file in AP is non-destructive (adjustment layers, live filter layers) you can send a TIFF from DxO to AP and do non-destructive edits to it. If you realize that you need to make changes to the original raw file in DxO, your changes in DxO are preserved by DxO, so it is just a matter of reopening the raw file in DxO, editing there and then exporting the new TIFF to AP. Then swap that new TIFF into the file with all of your edits in layers above the original TIFF image. If they are all non-destructive edits, they will all just modify the new edit and you can adjust them for the new edit image. 

kirk