You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi @Lainey778,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble and my apologies for the delay as it was a 4 day weekend in the UK last week.

Can you please confirm for me, what happens when you try launching the Affinity app? Do you see any reaction on screen? Do any error or crash messages appear?

Have you installed any new applications, or fonts to your system recently?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 6/6/2022 at 11:29 AM, Dan C said:

Hi @Lainey778,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble and my apologies for the delay as it was a 4 day weekend in the UK last week.

Can you please confirm for me, what happens when you try launching the Affinity app? Do you see any reaction on screen? Do any error or crash messages appear?

Have you installed any new applications, or fonts to your system recently?

Many thanks in advance!

Thank you, when i try and launch the first screen appears if loading then vanishes, i can open the older version up until 1.8.5 anything after this will not load. It was working fine now it won'r and i have affinity files saved that will not open on the older version. I just tried to download again and its still doing the same. I have tried everything i can think of. So for now i am having to work off 1.8.5 version

1 hour ago, Lainey778 said:

Thank you, when i try and launch the first screen appears if loading then vanishes, i can open the older version up until 1.8.5 anything after this will not load. It was working fine now it won'r and i have affinity files saved that will not open on the older version. I just tried to download again and its still doing the same. I have tried everything i can think of. So for now i am having to work off 1.8.5 version

What  version of Windows are you running?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 6 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry to hear this @Intuos5!

Does this occur most frequently having just closed the Affinity app, or seemingly randomly? As it's certainly possible that if the app has only recently closed, the processes may remain active for a short time, therefore trying to re-launch the apps may fail if the processes are still active, without the app being visible.

If you open the Affinity app, then Task Managers processes list - you should see Affinity listed here. If you close the app, does the process remain active in this list? Equally, when the app next fails to load from the taskbar, please check this list also & let me know the active processes that show.

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

57 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Sorry to hear this @Intuos5!

Does this occur most frequently having just closed the Affinity app, or seemingly randomly? As it's certainly possible that if the app has only recently closed, the processes may remain active for a short time, therefore trying to re-launch the apps may fail if the processes are still active, without the app being visible.

If you open the Affinity app, then Task Managers processes list - you should see Affinity listed here. If you close the app, does the process remain active in this list? Equally, when the app next fails to load from the taskbar, please check this list also & let me know the active processes that show.

Many thanks in advance :)

Hi @Dan C

I'll have to go off from memory on this, I recall there was no activity under the Apps (X) header in the task manager, but I didn't check Processes (X).

Last time it happened on manually closing the app. Earlier, I also had this happen when I terminated one of the Affinity apps with task manager as it froze. Back then, there was no App activity for the program in question and it didn't start even after waking my laptop from sleep IIRC. It's hard to give specific pointers on this now, but I'll keep my eyes open next time. I suspect that opening the apps via the Windows Start menu (both pinned and through a search) also fall under the same problem?

• Staff

I certainly understand - should this occur again please do let us know as we're not seeing many similar reports of this currently & have been unable to replicate this internally.

When closing the application in the usual manner, the Processes should also terminate immediately, however we have seen reports of these remaining open for certain users after closing the apps, however these were determined to be caused by a third party application and not the Affinity app itself. (essentially the third party app as not 'letting go' of the process, even though the app itself had closed correctly)

If the app has crashed/frozen then it's certainly possible that the Process does not terminate as expected, and in these cases it could explain the behaviour you're seeing.

5 hours ago, Intuos5 said:

I suspect that opening the apps via the Windows Start menu (both pinned and through a search) also fall under the same problem?

If, for whatever reasons, the Processes remain active in Task Manager when the app is closed then I would suspect launching the app in this manner would also be affected - but the 'correct' behaviour of the app is to close these processes alongside the app being closed. If this isn't occurring for you, please do let us know and we can investigate further :)

Please note -

Many thanks!