You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I’ve recently updated all my affinity products to the 1.10 update and since then I can’t open Affinity Designer at all. The colourful opening tab comes up, then it never opens and shuts itself down again. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled it and still no luck, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can use/open this software again?

I've got no problem with photo or publisher either, just designer!

Thank you for that suggestion. I did that, reset my account data and it actually opened designer. It started to redownload my account data then crashed again. Had to uninstall and reinstall designer again, and it would only open if I held down the control key and cleared the user data again.

Once I'd done what you suggested and designer opened again, reinstalled all my account data and shut the software, I went to open it again and it's back to not opening. It seems like I'm going to have to do this every time I want to use designer, which is going to be impossible!

I'm running into a similar problem, except that none of the applications open, even after resetting account data. This seems to have happened after updating to 1.10.

The splash screen appears, then disappears, then nothing. There are no events in the system logs and no error messages anywhere that I can find. I may reinstall an older version to see if anything changes.

Edit: Windows 10 Professional 21H1

Edited by Jonathan Gardner

I just tried to open designer again and had to clear the account data again, but I didn't sign in this time like @Pauls suggested. Closed and opened the software again and this has worked to actually open it without needing to clear the account data, but hopefully this issue will be resolved soon so I can use all the add-ons without downloading everything! 

Sorry to hear of your woes Catrin

This problem of the update Affinity Apps to  1.10 seems to be expanding.

Over 20 hours ago I posted that all my Affinity Apps will not open v 1.10 after upgrading. I'm now back to using a reliable v 1.9.2.

Still no reply to my posts from Affinity in regards to this.

Does anyone know if Affinity Software have a dedicated technical support line or do users have to rely on Affinity Support Forums for this?

Best

Vitamin X

• Staff
1 hour ago, Vitamin X said:

Still no reply to my posts from Affinity in regards to this.

Does anyone know if Affinity Software have a dedicated technical support line or do users have to rely on Affinity Support Forums for this?

Hi @Vitamin X,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

I can see your first post was made yesterday, during the weekend. Over the weekends, we only have 1 member of Technical Support staff working - so replies may be somewhat delayed during this time. To add to this, as you're aware the 1.10 update was released last week, meaning our workload has already increased and we're working hard to stay on top of this so that we can reply to all customers as quickly as possible. 

Of course, I'd like to offer our sincerest apologies for any delays in responding. I can assure you that a member of the team will be assigned the ticket and will reply in due course - as we action tickets mostly in chronological order.

In regards to a phone line, we do not offer technical support over the phone when our offices are open - but currently our offices are closed due to the pandemic, as such so are our phonelines.

You are welcome to email affinitysupport@serif.com if you wish to speak to a member of our team privately rather than on the forums, but please note this email will be placed into the same 'queue' system as your forum tickets, which is answered chronologically. I hope this helps.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Dan

Thank You

A very eloquent reply. Agree with what you say in hindsight (a wonderful thing).

I must inform you another colleague of yours has managed to reply to my query (via a reply I made to another user who was experiencing similar/same problems) earlier/prior to your above message. I'm satisfied with the reply given by your colleague. So I'm sticking with V1.9.2 until you have resolved the issue.

Best.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2021 at 7:33 AM, Jonathan Gardner said:

I'm running into a similar problem, except that none of the applications open, even after resetting account data. This seems to have happened after updating to 1.10.

The splash screen appears, then disappears, then nothing. There are no events in the system logs and no error messages anywhere that I can find. I may reinstall an older version to see if anything changes.

Edit: Windows 10 Professional 21H1

I have uninstalled everything, reinstalled 1.9.2, then reset all data. I still cannot get beyond the splash screen. After attempting multiple times, I was once able to get to the next screen, where I had the opportunity to enter my account information. I looked it up, and as soon as I started typing my email address, it crashed again with no errors or warnings, it simply disappeared. This is frustrating as I've got hundreds of senior class photos to process!

I completely removed a managed antivirus solution to see if it made any difference, but it did not.

Anything else I should try?

Windows 10 Professional 21H1

AMD A10-7700K Radeon R7 Processor+GPU

AMD Radeon RX 560 Discrete Graphics Card

AMD Chipset Software 2.17.25.506

AMD Radeon Software 21.6.1

1 hour ago, Jonathan Gardner said:

I have uninstalled everything, reinstalled 1.9.2, then reset all data. I still cannot get beyond the splash screen. After attempting multiple times, I was once able to get to the next screen, where I had the opportunity to enter my account information. I looked it up, and as soon as I started typing my email address, it crashed again with no errors or warnings, it simply disappeared. This is frustrating as I've got hundreds of senior class photos to process!

I completely removed a managed antivirus solution to see if it made any difference, but it did not.

Anything else I should try?

Windows 10 Professional 21H1

AMD A10-7700K Radeon R7 Processor+GPU

AMD Radeon RX 560 Discrete Graphics Card

AMD Chipset Software 2.17.25.506

AMD Radeon Software 21.6.1

UPDATE:

I uninstalled both the AMD Radeon Software and AMD Chipset Software, and allowed Windows 10 to install the generic "Microsoft" versions of those drivers. It took several reboots and scary black screens (even for me, I'm an IT guy) before I was able to use the computer again. Now version 1.9.2 appears to be working again! As much as I want to, I'm almost afraid to try updating to 1.10...

Jonathan

Apologies for the late reply - I have been otherwise pre-occupied.

Sorry to hear that you had similar issues. Having now read both your emails I can only tell you that I for one will not be installing V1.10 until Affinity Software fix this issue. So I'm sticking with V1.9.2 until otherwise advised by Affinity.

Best

Vitamin X 

On 8/23/2021 at 12:38 PM, Vitamin X said:

Jonathan

Apologies for the late reply - I have been otherwise pre-occupied.

Sorry to hear that you had similar issues. Having now read both your emails I can only tell you that I for one will not be installing V1.10 until Affinity Software fix this issue. So I'm sticking with V1.9.2 until otherwise advised by Affinity.

Best

Vitamin X 

For what it is worth, after getting 1.9.2 working again, I installed the 1.10 updates for all three Affinity applications and they appear to be working smoothly so far. It seems the AMD OEM drivers (either Chipset or Radeon or both) were preventing all three of the applications from opening (or causing them to crash early). Windows' WHQL drivers seem to be performing just fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone I have the same problem. Use this web address to select which version of designer you would like to download. V1.10 sucks I'm going back to V1.9.2. Hope this helps someone. I don't think I will every update again. Oh and remember to remove the V1.10 first before downloading the old version. 

Peace peeps :)

https://store.serif.com/en-us/update/windows/designer/1/

15 hours ago, TurahWangFungChi said:

Hey everyone I have the same problem.

Did you try any of the suggestions to resolve this problem with the current version?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 months later...

Hi, I've recently encounter the same issue with Affinity regardless of the version. I've solved it! Your situation might be different.

I've recently purchased a USB hub WaveLink, to connect my monitor + other ext. HD. This hub requires a driver. And that my friends, was the issue. The moment I uninstalled the driver, Affinity is back to working. So if it's not working, it might be some clash between new installed software or driver. Mostly to do with display. 

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

Im running into a similar issue with iMac Monterey 12.1.

When opening affinity designer 1.10.4 the splash screen, then a dark square appear. I'm able to open a pdf or an adesign document however I am only able to see the artboard. The sidetools have disappeared.  See screenshot attached.  

Has a solution been found since it has been reported in August ?

Kind regards, 

image.thumb.png.cb44dc4fc34f46de32451a9457c5cd71.png

Edited by LaurieCzl

5 hours ago, LaurieCzl said:

The sidetools have disappeared.

What happens if you press the Tab key on your keyboard?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, lczl64 said:

It worked!

That is because the Tab key toggles the entire UI on & off. (It is the last item on the AD View menu.)

Affinity Photo 

• 4 months later...

Same problem. The app opens the the Affinity logo and the application logo but will not open. Often times I get the free trial screen. I have trashed and reinstalled. If I double click the logo, I get the free trial screen. 

• Staff

Hi @Heider60,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

When the Trial options appear, you should see the 'I have a product key' choice, where you can then input your product key & email address combination from the Affinity Store purchase.

After entering these details, you see the Splash screen (with the Affinity Designer logo & version number), but then the application itself never opens - is that correct?

Can you please confirm for me, what version of macOS are you currently running? Have you had the Affinity app running previously? If so, have you made any software or hardware changes to your mac recently?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!