You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've gone from having an almost seamless experience on 1.09 (Mac Intel) to being beset with beach balls of death on rudimentary things like selecting text blocks on top of images and what not, since upgrading to 1.10. It's pretty awful so far, all the more so that 1.10 was sold as being about being speed improvements.

Am I alone?

4 hours ago, Barrowman said:

I've gone from having an almost seamless experience on 1.09 (Mac Intel) to being beset with beach balls of death on rudimentary things like selecting text blocks on top of images and what not, since upgrading to 1.10. It's pretty awful so far, all the more so that 1.10 was sold as being about being speed improvements.

Am I alone?

I'm using macOS on Intel and I haven't seen any slowdown with 1.10. The things that were advertised to be faster are faster for me, such as generation of thumbnails.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

First of all, thank you to all of the people working on this fantastic software - I truly appreciate all of your hard work.

FWIW, on Mac Mini M1, 8GB, 8 compute, 7 graphics cores, I'm experiencing lots of beach balls with an image that has a lot of grouped objects. I'm attempting to move them into separate layers to see if that helps. Slow process at the moment - selecting anything takes a very long time before I even get the beach ball.

HUGE CAVEAT: The file I'm attempting to work on is one I could never open in Affinity Designer before - it's an old Adobe Illustrator file - I'm frankly amazed and VERY pleased that it's even opened, let alone that I'm able to work on it!

Yup. My Mac Intel Affinity experience is not what I'm used to. 1.10 has some molasses built into it. Pls clean the inner workings and apply a good quality grease.

My BOOK (created with Publisher, Designer & Photo):
Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way)

My WEBSITE (also developed using Affinity apps):
www.RolandK.ca — "Relentless adventures in self-expression"

[Power Mac & Intel PC (HighSierra/Monterey/Win 10]

• Staff

@Barrowman @davemac2015 If you can provide some screen recordings showing the issues and including your system specs and macOS versions we can see if they can be replicated on ours systems. If it is happening with a particular file, we may need to get a copy of that from you as well for testing. If it's one that you can't uploaded here (public) please let me know and I'll organise a upload link for you.

Interesting post, as I started testing full releases on a 2012 13" MacBook pro, and all files are super quick. a day or so later I updated my production Mac, 2009 Mac pro (I normally wait around a week or so) and it totally lives upto the promise for me, some big childrens book illustration jobs, that at one point (around 1.6 or 1.7) where taking around two hours to open and where super slow to get around and edit are now opening up in a few minutes and are super fast to work on - so I'd be interested to know what spec of systems these problems are effecting

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

On 8/13/2021 at 8:21 PM, Dazmondo77 said:

Interesting post, as I started testing full releases on a 2012 13" MacBook pro, and all files are super quick. a day or so later I updated my production Mac, 2009 Mac pro (I normally wait around a week or so) and it totally lives upto the promise for me, some big childrens book illustration jobs, that at one point (around 1.6 or 1.7) where taking around two hours to open and where super slow to get around and edit are now opening up in a few minutes and are super fast to work on - so I'd be interested to know what spec of systems these problems are effecting

2122608351_Screenshot2021-08-14at22_53_32.png.f1ffae76fbb02ff5ebd479ec83e9334a.png

This is my machine.

This is an example of the "beach-ball experience" that I'm now blighted with. This one is actually unworkable, but I have other files with a lot few layers that get beach balls for varying length of time when I click and try to move etc. It was not apparent on the previous version, in fact I came to Affinity because this kind of behaviour was blighting Adobe InDesign (along with Photoshop files sizes being massive etc) & I loved how quick and smooth Affinity was.