You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I open new image files and have them go into a new layer? So far the only way I can get a new image into a layer is to open it, it opens in a new 'project(?)', a completely separate window. Then I select the image, copy, then go back to the project I'm working on and paste it into a layer.

There has to be a direct way to just point to a file and have it open in the selected layer.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi erickb,

To insert an image as a new layer tap the More menu (the three dots on the top left of the interface) and select Place ▸ Place from Photos or Place from cloud. Select the image on the next screen then tap the canvas to insert it as a new layer (or drag on canvas if you want to set a size for the placed image).

Hi brebro, kingbee,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

After selecting the file (Place command) you have to tap the canvas once (or drag on canvas if you want to set a size for the placed image) to actually insert the image on canvas.

• 5 months later...

I am trying to File->> Place the same image (different exposure) as a new layer, but am not able to get 100% alignment (by dragging it over the canvas). Is there a way to re align all the existing layers with the new Layer?

@Adds File > Place... choose the image, then just click in the file window, this places the image in the document, now choose from the menu bar: Arrange > Align Centre and then Arrange > Align Middle If you need to rotate the image first use Arrange > Rotate 90° Clockwise or Rotate 90° Anticlockwise

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 3 years later...
10 hours ago, Rabi said:

I’m having the same issue from long time. I watched several YouTube videos but non of them shows how exactly this issue can be fixed. It’s utterly frustrating with this software. 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. Please give us more details, and possibly a screenshot or video illustrating the problem. The function is really quite simple:

1. Click File > Place
  2. Choose file from file selection window and click appropriate button (Open)
  3. When you get the "Place" cursor, click or click and drag.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...

I've done this. This is a frustrating issue.  I have figured out how to add the image using place, but unlike certain videos; you don't see the image on the black background of Affinity Photo  and when you move it to the canvas you have created , it doesn't automatically resize.   Why is it so hard to resize (reduce in particular) and image and maintain the sharpness (and I've tried resampling with all the information provided by Affinity).

Edited by jel888

• Staff

Hi @jel888,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Designer and Publisher do let you use the Pasteboard area (around the canvas) to store/place objects temporarily as a typical workflow deals with various object types and design elements you may want to compose and experiment with within the canvas when designing. Photo is mostly used for photo compositing/editing which typically doesn't have such requirements.

Regarding "doesn't automatically resize" are you expecting the image to be resized to fit the canvas or the inverse resize the canvas to encompass the image dimensions?
In the first case you have to resize the image dragging from the corners (Affinity uses bilinear resampling to render images on screen). In the second case go to menu Document > Unclip Canvas so the canvas is resized to encompass/match the area of the (placed) image.

Reducing the image dimensions does make it lose sharpness because you are removing data from the image thus potentially reducing local contrast between edges/colours of the details that compose it. Resampling should help depending on the image itself and the algorithm sed however it's also prone to lose some sharpness compared to original (unless compensated in some way). What type of image are you trying to resample? Does it contain lots of micro detail?
Try using Bicubic to resample then apply a USM (Unsharp Mask filter) to increase the sharpness if required or any of the Lanczos 3 options (non-separable should give you a sharper image but depending on the source/original image it may be too much).

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I might be late. I tried using drag and drop option. I took 4 *.CR3 file and dropped to affinity page. Surprisingly, all files got added as layers. Then I took one file at a time, moved to Develop Persona and did small changes which are needed on RAW files and moved it back to Photo Persona. For now, it ok enough. Maybe I will discover more on this if I practice more. However, I am not sure how much it will help on professional level. But it adds all RAW as image file so i feel it would be good to edit the raw file separately and then save them as TIFF. once we have all the tiff file in place, then that can be added as layer in affinity. 

Regards,

JDC