You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sorry @COUYA,

it is bad practice to start a new thread on a topic that was discussed in more than 30 pages and that is pinned at the top of this very forum so that no one can miss it. Even though I can understand that you are disappointed it is not a surprise because footnotes were not part of the last beta version.

In the future I suggest (and kindly ask) to post in the respective thread, see here:

Thanks.
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Also, I would add it's not a surprise since changes are listed in the new version, and footnotes/endnotes didn't appear in the list or on any pages of the site or video about version 1.10.

Such major addition will certainly be announced with fanfare and trumpets... but before this, it'll be tested in the Beta version, and you'll read a lot about this in the forum prior to final release, like we can read a lot about the lack of this feature today... :)

On 8/7/2021 at 11:37 PM, COUYA said:

Adobe Indesing does from the very first version!!

Just to be fair, it is not accurate that InDesign has had footnotes since its first version, but rather since CS2, five or six years later. Our fellow forum member helps bring this into perspective:

On 12/13/2020 at 12:13 PM, d_jan said:

I would love to see footnotes very soon. However, it is sadly normal that footnotes are implemented rather late in DTP applications: QuarkXPress seems to have introduced them only in their 2015 Version, almost 30 years after its launch. Adobe InDesign  gained to support footnotes in CS2. InDesign not have a proper endnote feature up until CC2018.

Not that I am at all against the request for footnotes. Indeed, I started the very long thread where we have been begging for them since 2018, and I still am eager for them now. I just like to be fair with the facts.

25 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

Just to be fair, it is not accurate that InDesign has had footnotes since its first version, but rather since CS2, five or six years later. Our fellow forum member helps bring this into perspective:

Not that I am at all against the request for footnotes. Indeed, I started the very long thread where we have been begging for them since 2018, and I still am eager for them now. I just like to be fair with the facts.

Yes, when it worked properly, QXP back to version 3.x would include footnotes from Word .doc at the end of the text stream, though the numbering will/might get messed up and even when it all worked out, they were static text/numbering.

To be fair/balanced, Ventura Publisher had proper foot/endnotes at its beginning back in the GEM interface days. So at least in 1987...As did Framemaker from its beginning (iirc).

Must admit, I am still shocked this fundamental feature is missing!! Affinity are missing a huge market here. It's impossible to manage manually, so must be a feature of Publisher before I'll use it. ALL my book work (technical and educational) ALWAYS has footnotes and endnotes. Until it appears in Publisher, I cannot use it. End of. Such a shame! Even Apple's Pages app has it.