You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I want to do something like that, but i dont know how to start with the writing. I mean the text is a circle, and i dont know how to make my typo in a circle other then position every knot myself. Do you have any idea? trying it in Designer. Is photo better for that with any tolls? Thanks :) Festín Ilustraciones Stock, Vectores, Y Clipart – (43,020 Ilustraciones  Stock)

I would start with

• two lines of text (upper and lower),
  • rasterize them individually
  • Put a circle/ ying yang curve as helper layer at the bottom
  • use mesh warp tool to distort the pixel layers with text (one after each other) until happy

Never the less, i assume the letters are either hand-crafted curves, or a special tool (not Affinity) is used to create this effect.

Other options is to experiment with recangular-to-polar filter, after carefully crafting the text layer.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

To be honest, if you want a professional result (like a true vector output), the Affinity Suite might not the best option for you as it still doesn't provide any (mesh) warp for vectors. A feature which has been requested by many for years.

In order to maintain vectors, you'll have to push around single nodes manually until you get the result you want. Time consuming, exhausting and annoying to say the least.

If you want to re-create something like your example, you might end up with 1-2 hours of work or even more if you are not experienced with that workflow, whereas it's a 5-15 minutes' work for a beginner in any application which can deal with vector warping. Even a designer who has superior knowledge of the how-to in Affinity Designer will take quite a while until the result is really smooth and naturally looking.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

4 hours ago, Peter_Willard said:

This takes like 45 seconds per letter.  Trace with pen, set fill color,  fix up with node tool... done.

Yes, the "easy" one with a pretty straight horizontal line at the top of a perfect vertical line... Round letters are not that quickly done (like an "S" as you can't just move the nodes at the top). But thanks for proofing my point as it takes 30 seconds for the whole text (not a single letter) in an app with a dedicated vector warp function: Type text, draw circle -> fit text to object. My "5-15 minutes" comment was meant inclusive additional manual adjustment of some nodes for a perfect result.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

11 hours ago, Andy05 said:

But thanks for proofing my point as it takes 30 seconds for the whole text (not a single letter) in an app with a dedicated vector warp function: Type text, draw circle -> fit text to object.

But unless I am missing something, that by itself will not create something that looks like the 'Jazz Fest" example, like the way the top of the F goes past the "e." 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

But unless I am missing something, that by itself will not create something that looks like the 'Jazz Fest" example, like the way the top of the F goes past the "e." 

Probably this then also highly depends on the used font (typeface) and some lettering pre-arrangements & movements etc. With a plain vector based warping it would be much easier to come close than instead of pixel based warping.

A rough and quick take with just Apple Chancery and APh pixel warping ...

jazz_fest.jpg.2a26e9539558c1b55dcf2c31bdfcfa58.jpg

... with all vectors it would be now much easier to manipulate the whole additionally (aka rearrange, move, size, compress ... etc. individual letterparts and so on).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

8 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

... with all vectors it would be now much easier to manipulate the whole additionally (aka rearrange, move, size, compress ... etc. individual letterparts and so on).

Even if vector warping was supported & the letters were pre-arranged I think it would still take quite a bit of work to duplicate the look of the OP example. Because of that, I think the design might have been hand crafted, letter by letter, using curves instead of any font.

Actually, from the description at https://www.dreamstime.com/jazz-fest-lettering-circle-white-vector-illustration-hand-drawn-modern-calligraphy-can-be-used-promotional-materials-image141389038 it appears that each letter was in fact  hand drawn.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

35 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Even if vector warping was supported & the letters were pre-arranged I think it would still take quite a bit of work to duplicate the look of the OP example. Because of that, I think the design might have been hand crafted, letter by letter, using curves instead of any font.

Sure, for best looking individual results handcrafting the whole would be the essiential way to go. - As can also be easily seen by the videos @Wosven provided.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

12 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Sure, for best looking individual results handcrafting the whole would be the essiential way to go. - As can also be easily seen by the videos @Wosven provided.

TBH, once I saw the length of the 2 creative session videos, I just sampled a bit of each one, but from that it looked like they were using a lot of pixel brushes (not vectors), an iPad, & an Apple Pencil. Fine for what it is but what I suggested was the original 'jazz' design was probably an all-vector one created from scratch, not from letters derived from any font & then modified with warping tools.

Of course, I am not sure about that but it would be one 'how to' way to create a similar design in AD.

Affinity Photo 

There are diffent used vector techniques possible, could be handcrafted, could be made via text & envelope warping, or a combination of both ... and so on. Even with envelope warping and afterwards object manipulations you can get things like that done.

26 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Even with envelope warping and afterwards object manipulations you can get things like that done.

I don't dispute that. I'm just saying that from the description at dreamstime.com this one appears to be hand drawn from scratch, & I suspect that it took less time to create than fiddling with fonts & warping would have taken.

Affinity Photo 

10 hours ago, R C-R said:

I'm just saying that from the description at dreamstime.com this one appears to be hand drawn from scratch, & I suspect that it took less time to create than fiddling with fonts & warping would have taken.

I don't know how the original author designed that one, you would have to ask him in order to know. Other than that, it also always depends on your skills when working with vector tools and functions, some people might be individually faster when doing the whole drawing manually, others in contrast when using auxilliary functions. - To assume anything concrete here would be pure speculation.

14 hours ago, R C-R said:

an all-vector one created from scratch, not from letters derived from any font & then modified with warping tools

You can also, if you've got AP, type the text, duplicate the layer, use the grid tool to modify it, and use it as base/model for modifying the text layer onve it's converted to curves.

Or, when needing a simpler design, draw curves as guides and modify the text converted to curves to follow them. I did this in a work posted somewhere in the forum, but I'm not on my computer to give examples now.

I recommend VectorStyler as kind of like a plug-in, mainly for vector distortions where this sort of thing takes a few seconds, once pasted back into Affinity you have a decent enough starting point - yes it would be amazing to have this ability in designer but it may still be years off until we get it - I need this a lot so VectorStyler is a solution that currently works for me - see example:

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

8 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

see example

How did you create the curves that spell out jazz fest? It does not look like they are from any font I am familiar with.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

It does not look like they are from any font I am familiar with.

This font should provide you with a pretty good starting point.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

If you have the fonts and know the two words you want, I would think 15 minutes would get you done in Designer - as vector. 

Here is one I created. It took about an hour for everything. I can't imagine that a couple of words with a mid curve could be that much of aproblem. 208734450_ScreenShot2021-08-09at9_31_50PM.jpg.b01b01990ead4f0df7baa6dbd4713673.jpg