You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello @Wehrlinand welcome to the forums.

You have to export the files in jpg/jpeg format. And it makes no difference whether you use jpg or jpeg as the file extension. Since the file extension jpg originates from DOS times. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

There is a generell difference between saving or exporting files. If you save a file in Affinity Photo, you can only do it in *.afphoto. This is the standard-format of Photo, the only one you can save even guidelines, selections, masks and all the other things you need while you are working on an image with. You should always save your work from time to time, because if the software or your computer crashes, you would otherwise have to begin your work again right from the start.

Other file formats like JPEG, PNG, TIFF, WEBP... are endformats for final use (printing, publication on the web...) or for archiving. For this purposes, you should export your images in the right file format for your needs - after you optimized them. PNG for example supports also transparencies, while JPEG doesn't.

Be carefull with the JPEG-quality, because if you compress the file too much to get a small file size, you will get a bad image-quality. And don't reexport JPEGs too often, because every time you export them again, they will be compressed again and lose quality.

4 hours ago, iconoclast said:

If you save a file in Affinity Photo, you can only do it in *.afphoto.

There is an exception to this that should be noted:

If you open a single layer raster image file like a jpeg or png & do nothing that adds layers to it (like adding adjustments, vectors, live filters, etc.) or you flatten it after adding layers so there is just one layer, then File > Save will save the edited version in the same format (jpeg, png, etc.), overwriting the original file with your edited version.

Handy for quick edits if that is what you want but not if you are trying to preserve the original unedited version.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

There is an exception to this that should be noted:

If you open a single layer raster image file like a jpeg or png & do nothing that adds layers to it (like adding adjustments, vectors, live filters, etc.) or you flatten it after adding layers so there is just one layer, then File > Save will save the edited version in the same format (jpeg, png, etc.), overwriting the original file with your edited version.

Handy for quick edits if that is what you want but not if you are trying to preserve the original unedited version.

Ah okay, I didn't know that. But doesn't this reduce the quality in case of a JPEG? If yes, I would find it problematic.

3 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

But doesn't this reduce the quality in case of a JPEG?

Yes. But then, any time you edit a JPG and create another JPG from it the quality is reduced.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

39 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes. But then, any time you edit a JPG and create another JPG from it the quality is reduced.

That's what I meant. You shouldn't do that too often. JPEG is mainly an end-format. In other forums I talked with people who seemed to think that JPEG would be the best file format for all cases, and they insisted on saving their work as JPEG and generally not to use the standard format of their image editing software. That is definitely not a good idea. Because of that I think the seperation in "Save" and "Export" is a verry good thing.

2 hours ago, iconoclast said:

But doesn't this reduce the quality in case of a JPEG?

I suppose that depends on how the file is edited & what quality value is used during the save. Some quick & dirty testing shows that the file size often increases quite a bit, suggesting something at or near 100% quality. Also, a highly compressed jpeg that shows a lot of compression artifacts can sometimes be improved by adding a bit of a blur or judicious use of the Median Brush, so I think it is possible that while technically the qualityy is lower after the resave, the new version may actually look better.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I suppose that depends on how the file is edited & what quality value is used during the save. Some quick & dirty testing shows that the file size often increases quite a bit, suggesting something at or near 100% quality.

If you're using File > Save to save over an original JPG file, I think (but cannot confirm) that Affinity uses a Quality of 100 regardless of the original quality specification.

However, even at Quality 100 there is some compression, and the compression for JPG files is always lossy.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

If the JPEG would be saved with 100%, its quality may stay the same. Otherwise every saving will lower the quality - no matter how big the resulting file size may be. Basicly the quality can't become better by saving. And every compression will reduce colours, resample pixels, produce artefacts and can't be reversed.

4 hours ago, iconoclast said:

If the JPEG would be saved with 100%, its quality may stay the same.

Saving with Quality 100 still applies some compression. You may not notice any degradation, but some will occur.

-- Walt
PC:

As stated at the start of this thread you need to use Menu item; File > Export… and choose jpeg from the options.
Or, and so far not mentioned in this thread, use the Export persona and again choose jpeg as the export file type.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

5 minutes ago, markw said:

As stated at the start of this thread you need to use Menu item; File > Export… and choose jpeg from the options.
Or, and so far not mentioned in this thread, use the Export persona and again choose jpeg as the export file type.

Hi markw!

That's the way it should be, I think. But in AfPhoto you can open a JPEG, do some editing and only press Cmd+S to overwrite the original file. Not only in case of JPEGs, but it's especially dangerous there. Especially for people who don't know about the lossy compression of JPEGs. So I would wish that there would appear a warning every time you try to overwrite JPEGs.

9 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

That's the way it should be, I think. But in AfPhoto you can open a JPEG,

But the specific question (now) starts with a .afphoto file, not a JPG. Therefore the correct answer is to use Export, not Save.

-- Walt
PC:

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

But the specific question (now) starts with a .afphoto file, not a JPG. Therefore the correct answer is to use Export, not Save.

OK, sorry, haven't seen that post. But however, that's how it should be: if you want to save an image as a specific file type like JPEG, PNG, TIFF..., you have to export it. Except you are still working on it and you want to save your current state of work. In this case you should save as *.afphoto. Right?

2 hours ago, iconoclast said:

But however, that's how it should be: if you want to save an image as a specific file type like JPEG, PNG, TIFF..., you have to export it.

Unless, as you mentioned earlier, you started with that file type (JPEG, PNG, TIFF) and you want to overwrite the original file. Then you can Save, losing your original file in the process. Some users seem to like doing that; I don't.

-- Walt
PC:

3 hours ago, iconoclast said:

That's how i remember it. But what you see is what you get and what you don't see, you don't. 😉

That's still important, because you will see the difference after some time if you open and save a JPEG with 100% multiple times. It'll get worse each time you save. Probably barely noticeable the first 1-3 times, yet after a while the difference between original and a JPEG after several saves is significant. 

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Unless, as you mentioned earlier, you started with that file type (JPEG, PNG, TIFF) and you want to overwrite the original file. Then you can Save, losing your original file in the process. Some users seem to like doing that; I don't.

I think what @iconoclast does not like is there not being any warning that the original file will be overwritten. Because it is not obvious when that will happen, it seems like it would be better if there was a warning that the file will be overwritten with a cancel and/or save as option as well as an OK one.

Affinity Photo 

What I want to say is: don't overwrite JPEGs more often than necessary!

If you overwrite a JPEG with a 100% JPEG it will take a while to ruin the image, but you shouldn't even risk that if not really necessary. Of course some cameras produce JPEGs, so many image editors will start with a JPEG as source. But that shouldn't be a problem if they only export their final result once as JPEG and don't compress it more than necessesary.

The best will be to open the source image in Affinity Photo, to save it as *.afphoto right after it's loaded and save it again and again after a while to prevent the loss that could result of crashes as long as you work on the image. And when the image editing is done, export your image in a file format that fits to its purpose.

I'm not lucky with the opportunity to overwrite source images with the "Save"-option, because it could unnecessarily lead to a loss of quality by accident. Because of this, a reliable warning, that can be confirmed or refused in such cases, would be verry good.

Hope you understand what I want to say. It's not easy for me to clarify it in the best possible way in english. Will have to learn a little more.

26 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

I'm not lucky with the opportunity to overwrite source images with the "Save"-option, because it could unnecessarily lead to a loss of quality by accident. Because of this, a reliable warning, that can be confirmed or refused in such cases, would be verry good.

I agree 100% that there should be warning about this, at least for any image file type like jpeg that forces lossy compression during a save. I am not sure if it is needed for non-lossy ones like PNG, though.

Affinity Photo 

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It's of course everybody's personal choice, but I never overwrite the original. I usually archive them. Sometimes one determines that he/she could have done something different or even better. It's better if you can revert to the original in such cases to get the best quality.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I am not sure if it is needed for non-lossy ones like PNG, though.

It could still be useful there. If a user thinks that File > Save (Ctrl/Cmd+S) will always create a .afphoto file, they might be surprised when, instead, it overwrites their original PNG or TIFF file. Even though it will do so without loss of quality, they might have wanted to keep the original version, and might have been planning, eventually, to Export under a different name.

This could be handled with a warning message, along the lines of "Warning: you are about to overwrite your original image file. If that is not your intent, click No and use File > Save As or File > Export." It could also have a check box to suppress the warning in the future.

-- Walt
PC: