You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 1.10.0 Desktop crashes

I read from other users, that not only Photo has a problem to start, but Designer ist crashing too. This is true. In my case, I can open Designer, but if I clicked on "transparency" the program crashes.

My PC is up to date:

Windows 10 64bit Version 20H2
RAM 32 GB
Intel i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz

No graphic card.

I will look for the old version.

Best Regards

Matthias

Hi Bamboli,

I'm a new user (and big time Novice)  and have had the same issue with the 10.1 update. I wound up, uninstalling 10.1 and reinstalling 1.92. This allowed me to get back into my Designer as if nothing had happened. The link for the affinity page is https://store.serif.com/en-us/update/windows/designer/1/

I originally purchased from the Affinity site, so I was able to uninstall using the Account/downloads page and doing "uninstall", then reinstalling the older version. it worked immediately and Designer opened right up.

There were some instructions in another part of the thread regarding error files/event logs that were far too advanced for myself as a novice to attempt. But this seems to have worked out just fine. ( the reinstall ) 

I'm sure there will be a remedy/patch forthcoming from the good folks at Serif very soon. I can imagine that they are "burning the midnight oil" tonight trying to solve this issue. So I'm happy to wait and use the "old" version. 

Hope this helps.

Matt

I have also had a couple of crashes since installing 1.10. It used to happen regularly with PagePlus and DrawPlus for no apparent reason, but I'd never had a crash with AF Designer or Publisher since getting them, till now!

It's happened twice so far, I couldn't really tell you at what exact point as I'm just working on some product listing pictures, so I'm just doing basic stuff - moving objects around, resizing shapes, using swatches, adding text... really mundane things in a small file!

Thanks to Matt for the above information. I bought direct from AF so if it remains a problem I will reinstall the previous version.

Catherine

Hi everyone here,

the problems seem to be solved. All my desktop versions from the Affinity programs now are running in version 1.10. I deinstalled first the old version, then I installed the new version again. The programs started and I could work fine with it. Thanks to Callum from Affinity for his help!

Best Regards

Matthias

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, SPaceBar said:

@Pushtin @Catherine M Evans @Tydal Did you manage to resolve your issue or do you need some help with it?

Hi, SPaceBar. Yes. The latest update seems to have fixed my issue. I get the odd crash with Photo every so often and need to stop it from the Task Manager before restarting it. Other than that, all seems to be working well. Thanks for checking up.

@SPaceBar

My apologies for the delay in response.

I am still using the 1.9 version.  I've had some family issues that have required my attention. 

I am planning on trying to get the 10.1 up and running this weekend if able. My last advice received was to hold down the CTL key during launch and uncheck the buttons, then see if the problem persists. I had only unchecked a few of them on the prior attempt with no success, so hopefully that will work. I'll certainly keep you posted.

Hello @designerPIX

To find out what's happen we need a crash report.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

7 minutes ago, designerPIX said:

Shall i attach here .dmp files... morethan 14 files

Only the one with the latest time stamp, please.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

33 minutes ago, designerPIX said:

You are using an outdated version of Windows 10. This should be updated first.
Afterwards, the GPU drivers should also be updated.

48 minutes ago, designerPIX said:

Thanks for the update :)

Morning  i updated this version of windows. this one is suitable for our software?

2021-09-12_14h45_08.png

The crash report still showed the 19H1. 

With the 20H2 and current graphics card drivers, the Designer version 1.10.1.xxxx should work without problems.

Before you start the Designer with the renewed configuration, it is best to delete the old crash reports.

If Designer still crashes, please check the status of the hardware acceleration. You can find this under Edit --> Preferences --> Performance.

If HWA is activated, please untick.

Edited by Komatös

• 1 month later...

My apologies for the long delay in responses. 

Summary:

It seems that the newest update for Designer keeps crashing right after launch on my laptop. 

I wound up reinstalling version 1.9.2.1035 earlier this month after a number of attempt to get the 10.xxx update to work - to no avail. It would run for a few seconds, and then just crash. 

Following the above instructions given by Komatös: I was able to find and copy the most recent .dmp file from the last attempt to use the new version. I have attached it below along with screenshots of my laptop specs, as well as the Edit/Preferences/Performance setting current in Designer ( V. 1.9.2.1035 ) 

@SPaceBar @Komatös Any advice or assistance helping resolve this would be most appreciated.  (I'm a novice with computer settings, etc)  I'm really hoping any solution won't require the deletion or re-set of the assets I've purchased and loaded into the Assets and Styles areas - if at all possible. 

Thank you for you help,

Matt

Affinity Designer preferences - performance Screenshot 2021-10-16 075806.png

Screenshot 2021-10-16 074545.png

433f9525-3440-4b4d-b8b6-75f1198b8e57.dmp

Edited by Pushtin
grammatical/further clarification

Hello @Pushtin

The dump file shows missing or faulty dotNET files. 

Please use Microsft .NET Framwork Repair Tool:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30135

@KomatösThank you for the Fast reply. 

I have used the above tool from Microsoft. It appears to have repaired an installer. 

How should I proceed? I wasn't sure if any other steps were needed prior to attempting another install.

Matt

Edited by Pushtin
grammatical/further clarification

1 hour ago, Pushtin said:

@KomatösThank you for the Fast reply. 

I have used the above tool from Microsoft. It appears to have repaired an installer. 

How should I proceed? I wasn't sure if any other steps were needed prior to attempting another install.

Matt

Have you run Designer after the repair tool was finished? If so and the error occours you should deactivate the hardware acceleration in Designer.