You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font Problems - Affinity Designer v 1.10.0 on iPad

I’m still wondering if it’s not related to the error I received from iFont about the need to update the method used to access fonts because of Apple’s changes to OS 14. This clearly is something the developer must do, not the end user. Can anyone from Affinity verify that this is NOT the problem?

Mr Mac, I was afraid someone would say that. 

Dkistner, I do not use iFont at all. My fonts are loaded directly into the Affinity lineup of apps. This is not an iFont issue. It is either a bug in the newer two updates or a change in the Apple code that they have not allowed for yet at Affinity. I trust they will get it fixed for us, but it is frustrating nonetheless.

From the iOS & iPadOS 14 Release Notes:

Fonts

Known Issues

Beginning in iOS & iPadOS 14, fonts installed using configuration profiles are only available to apps supporting the font APIs and entitlements introduced in iOS & iPadOS 13. If your app provides a custom font-selection interface, it can no longer access fonts installed via configuration profiles.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 8/27/2021 at 3:02 PM, MEGraphicDesign said:

Mr Mac, I was afraid someone would say that. 

Dkistner, I do not use iFont at all. My fonts are loaded directly into the Affinity lineup of apps. This is not an iFont issue. It is either a bug in the newer two updates or a change in the Apple code that they have not allowed for yet at Affinity. I trust they will get it fixed for us, but it is frustrating nonetheless.

I mentioned iFont only because that’s where I copied the message about the IOS 14 changes that I posted before. Clearly, this is something that extends to all iPad apps that use fonts. I suspect the Affinity folks are already aware of this and are working to make things work well with IOS/iPad OS 15 that’s supposed to be out this fall (hopefully sooner, not later). The Apple tech person I spoke with when I was having a lot of problems with my new iPad said to hang in there, that everything would be much, much better with IOS/iPadOS 15, and that they were working with all the developers so the apps in the App Store will be streamlined to work well with it. I certainly hope that’s the case!

20 hours ago, dkistner said:

I mentioned iFont only because that’s where I copied the message about the IOS 14 changes that I posted before. Clearly, this is something that extends to all iPad apps that use fonts. I suspect the Affinity folks are already aware of this and are working to make things work well with IOS/iPad OS 15 that’s supposed to be out this fall (hopefully sooner, not later). The Apple tech person I spoke with when I was having a lot of problems with my new iPad said to hang in there, that everything would be much, much better with IOS/iPadOS 15, and that they were working with all the developers so the apps in the App Store will be streamlined to work well with it. I certainly hope that’s the case!

I understand that completly, I just wanted everyone to be aware that the issue was not between two apps, but rather an issue that extends beyond that. I agree, I think that Affinity is already working on it. Their team is usually super aware of issues and try to resolve the problems quickly.

• Staff

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the delay in responding - I have been on annual leave for the last week.

As I had been unable to reproduce this issue I was hoping it was fixed by the fix made for the Japanese and Chinese font issues in iOS however this unfortunately wasn't the case as you've all reported.

Another user had attached a video about this issue which gave me a few more clues and has allowed me to reproduce the issue. 
Whilst its not a 100% reproducible rate for me, I can reliably reproduce it by having lots of fonts installed, and lots of documents open, and then 1 out of 10 tries the fonts will fail to seen and display as missing

I've since spoken with development about this and passed the issue on to them who do have an idea on whats going on and will be looking into a fix for it.

In the meantime I found that either installing or uninstalling/reinstalling a font in the Fonts section in Affinity Preferences will correct the issue temporarily. In some cases a full restart of the app (by closing the process down from the iPad's App Switching screen) may also work

So thank you again for your help with this issue.

Thank you Sean. And yes, the problem does seem to occur more often when the entire font library is installed and loaded into the application via the preferences window (I have over 1,000 fonts just for reference), multiple files (more than four usually) are in the launch window or even if the files that are open (and being worked on) are larger than one artboard.

Hi @Sean P

Have you heard any news on this? It still is not working and sadly I have projects that include text + illustrations that have to be designed in the ipad. 

How do we all go about this? Do we need to throw in the towel and move on to a new platform? How many people are effected by this? Is this a rare case? 

Does @walt.farrellknow anything? 

Thank you ALL so much! We just need answers. Those little temp fixes just don't cut it! xo 

xoxo Leslie 

17 minutes ago, LeslieHedgesDesign said:

As I'm only a user I know less than the Serif team about their products and plans :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
14 hours ago, LeslieHedgesDesign said:

Hi @Sean P

Have you heard any news on this? It still is not working and sadly I have projects that include text + illustrations that have to be designed in the ipad. 

How do we all go about this? Do we need to throw in the towel and move on to a new platform? How many people are effected by this? Is this a rare case? 

Thank you ALL so much! We just need answers. Those little temp fixes just don't cut it! xo 

xoxo Leslie 

The issue has now been fixed by development, however I'm don't currently know when a patch will roll out with that fix in it.

With that said we have released a Beta containing that fix. Check out the link below, though you will need to sign up to the Serif Testflight to 'join' and download the beta.

The other thing to be aware is that the beta is considered to be a completely different app which means it will not contain any of the current documents you have open in the release app, or any of the fonts you may have installed. It will also not contain any custom assets or brushes either.

EDIT: I should also state that Testflight has a 90 day use limit on each build, so after 90 days you will not be able to open the app, if we then release a new version that 90 days is reset. However please bear this in mind to avoid getting yourself locked out of your work due to the way Testflight works.

On 9/16/2021 at 2:33 AM, Sean P said:

The issue has now been fixed by development, however I'm don't currently know when a patch will roll out with that fix in it.

With that said we have released a Beta containing that fix. Check out the link below, though you will need to sign up to the Serif Testflight to 'join' and download the beta.

The other thing to be aware is that the beta is considered to be a completely different app which means it will not contain any of the current documents you have open in the release app, or any of the fonts you may have installed. It will also not contain any custom assets or brushes either.

EDIT: I should also state that Testflight has a 90 day use limit on each build, so after 90 days you will not be able to open the app, if we then release a new version that 90 days is reset. However please bear this in mind to avoid getting yourself locked out of your work due to the way Testflight works.

Sean, thank you for letting us know about the progress made and the potential update for the fix coming “SOON(?)”. Appreciate your help.

• 2 weeks later...