You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Crashed with New Version 1.10.0

Downloaded new version from 1.9.2 version (was having no problems with). Opened after download, few seconds later it just disappeared.

So I opened again, and did it again. So ok, I just re-downloaded the update, thinking something just did not take. Nope that did not work. 

I tried repairing, that did not work either. Ok, last resort was delete program, and go to Affinity Web site (where I purchased)

and re-download complete program (to my surprise it is the new version). Well lets just say That Did Not work either. So here I am, no Affinity Photo. Oh, I do have Affinity Designer and it is showing that it was upgraded to the new version and that is running just fine, no problems, strange.

program. My question is:  How can I get my previous version back? (1.9.2). Because I know it will take time for them to repair the new.

Running: windows10

Hello and welcome to the forums, @JAKline

I suggest that you disable hardware acceleration. Please have a look here:

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Ive just downloaded Phot 1.10.

My system went into turtle mode, nothing was working well at all after Afinity Photo 1.10 was installed. 

I could move my mouse then the cursor would move a couple of seconds later. 

Photos wouldn't load well, very slow.

Ive uninstalled 1.10 and reinstalled 1.9.2 and up to now, everything is working fine as before the update.

The first time I tried to use 1.10 the UI never appeared after opening the program.  Looking in Windows Task Manager Affinity was listed as a running Background Process.  I killed the task, restarted Affinity and haven't had any problems since.  Possible an issue over-writing the 1.9 version that was previously installed?

25 minutes ago, omega96 said:

You can download old version here

https://store.serif.com/es/update/windows/photo/1/

But that works only for users who purchased directly from Serif (Affinity Store). Users who purchased from the Microsoft Store cannot use that download.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank You all for your help. I will wait till a fix is out for the new version. And a Special thank you to Walt for the link to the previous version. I have Affinity Photo

back and it is running great (1.9.2 version), Thank you.  You guys are all great.

The Affinity programs are easy programs to learn, and we are all human and we have some bad days, but in time they get good.  Every one have a good one.

Julie

Hi,

I have the same problem. After update to 1.10 Affinity photo crash while loading the fonts. I've tryed serveral tips, But No Chance. Now i deinstalled 1.10 and reinstalled the last version. It's run.

but that can't be the answer. Hope for an early version without a bug

Windows 10 (last updates) 16 GB RAM, NVidia Gforce GTX 770.

I've been running the beta version of 1.10 for over a month with none of these problems. Without crash reports etc Affinity can't do much.

Suggest you try a clean install of the latest graphics drivers. (In Custom Installation for Nvidia)That solved my crash problems with the beta of 1.10.

Since migrating from programs (apps) such as Corel's to Serif's Affinity, I've noticed Serif's practice of providing full, complete files for updates is different than Corel's practice of just providing what they call SP or Hot-fix files. They were not the complete program, just what was done to fix problems. It would uninstall and install the necessary parts, not the complete program.

I mention that because with Affinity, I've only once just over-wrote, did not uninstall the earlier version before installing the update. I uninstall, using, in my case Windows Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs, then install the updated version. Most of the time I do not experience any of the issues that have been posted, such as the crashing, freezing, UI display.

I've also noted that it seems Serif's uninstaller does not remove everything. Settings/Preferences, downloaded brushes, remain. I'm not sure why, but it does save having to redo those settings and re-download those extras. I think, theoretically it's bad for their uninstaller to leave any part of their programs behind. So, with the beta versions, my practice is to completely remove the program before installing the update. This means going to in Windows, Program Data>Affinity>Photo, Program Files>Affinity, AppData>Roaming>Affinity>Photo, then DELETING the associated folder, in this case Photo 1.0. I will also check the Windows Registry for entries and clean that up too. Then reboot my pc, and then install the update. That's a full, clean install of the program. That narrows the possibility of parts being corrupted during the update. 

I may be missing out on the performance of the HA/OpenCL Compute, because my Nvidia card is too old, so it is not activated by default, but seeing the problems with this, I'm not missing out of much right now. However, I'm not experiencing all the issues either. I do try to run another program, DaVinci Resolve, which has thrown fits when I've updated my Nvidia drivers, causing me to downgrade them to run it, then upgrade for Affinity. I think that shows the problems developers face with trying to provide the latest and greatest, especially in the Windows environment, just way too many variables.

All that being said, IF you're really wanting to use Serif's programs, don't be so quick to throw up your hands and give up. It's not just Affinity apps, Serif's fault. IF their app runs without issues on the majority of the Windows' systems, it then falls on the complex, combinations allowed with Windows OS.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

3 hours ago, Ron P. said:

I mention that because with Affinity, I've only once just over-wrote, did not uninstall the earlier version before installing the update. I uninstall, using, in my case Windows Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs, then install the updated version. Most of the time I do not experience any of the issues that have been posted, such as the crashing, freezing, UI display.

Just for another data point, I never uninstall before updating, and I seldom have this kind of issue, either :) 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I also never remove anything before upgrade, and haven't these problems. 
Only that 1.10 sometimes hold, think has to do with some programs in the background. ;)

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

I got so frustrated with it crashing after two operations 😣 that I uninstalled it and reinstalled 1.9.2.1035. At the very least I was able to open files saved from the new version and I did not have to reload all my brushes, etc. This brought me back from being furious to annoyed. So, it's not all bad, good job on that, devs. 👍

I will try a clean install with latest stable video drivers when I have more spare time.

So I have started having many crashes since updating to 1.10. Usually when I try to use FX or the Mesh/Perspective tools though sometimes it happened when I was simply resizing things.

All drivers are up to date. I tried with GPU acceleration off, then on and neither altered the problem. So I downgraded back to the previous version :(  Did lose about 30 minutes of work though :( 

3 hours ago, Videowolff said:

So I have started having many crashes since updating to 1.10. Usually when I try to use FX or the Mesh/Perspective tools though sometimes it happened when I was simply resizing things.

I can only confirm this.
It does not matter whether, with GPU acceleration  or without GPU acceleration.
Something similar can be observed in the last beta version of Photo.

dmp file is attached

Cheers

c8f31c03-7f4a-48a8-b09f-6be3833ff48f.dmp

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

My temporary fix was this:  Since after installing V1.10 tit would not load at all.  I uninstalled it and V 1.9 and reinstalled V`1.10.  Same Problem.  I then uninstalled V1.10 and located my old downloaded V1.9.2 and installed it.  It works great so I await the "FIX".

I don't know how reliably this works, but I'm just getting my publisher to work on my Win 7 computer after major problems:
(Translated with DeepL, the terms may be different in the English speaking operating system).

Windows > Start > Program Icon > right mouse button > Properties > Compatibility > Compatibility Mode -> Windows 7

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...