You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.10.0 Affinity Photo much slower than 1.9.2

30 minutes ago, jorismak said:

Ok, so my Intel driver was still on v27 because that's the latest supplied by my device manufacturer.

Did the DDU thing (did it before, I know how it works... downloading the latest driver and then killing the network is required, because otherwise Windows will install a new one automatically if you're not fast enough :P).

Installed the latest official Intel v30 drivers.

Performance on Affinity 1.9.2 seems worse now with OpenCL enabled, although still miles better than 1.10.0.

Opening files is faster without OpenCL enabled on both versions. The display updates quicker without OpenCL enabled on both versions.

But on 1.9.2 the difference between OpenCL enabled and disabled isn't that pronounced. On 1.10.0 the speed of updating the display / preview is _sooo_ much slower it's unworkable with OpenCL enabled.

But... doing the 'motion blur > 800px' test, Affinity Photo 1.9.2 is actually quicker to update _with_ OpenCL enabled compared to OpenCL disabled.

But 1.10.0 the same thing is _very_ sluggish and just as slow as doing the 800px motion-blur filter on the CPU alone.

Opening a file (a .NEF or a .tif) also seems to 'freeze' the application for a bit, where the display window gets a bit corrupted and then updates again. This isn't happening on 1.9.2.

Opening the NEF with 1.10.0 with OpenCL enabled also makes it very obvious how the file is loaded: You see the Develop persona without any tone curve applied, then the display corruption happens, then you see the image again, then the base-curve gets applied. If I then press 'ctrl+3' to zoom in a lot, you really see the tiles of the preview window being redraw.

This all isn't happening with OpenCL disabled, but it's also not happening on 1.9.2 (OpenCL enabled or disabled).

Trying to dial in the 'defringe' parameters is just plain impossible on 1.10.0 with OpenCL enabled. Sometimes it takes _seconds_ for the screen to redraw. You don't know if a change you made had no effect or you are just not seeing the updated preview yet. On 1.9.2 with OpenCL enabled the changes are _instant_ (if the defringe radius isn't crazy high) and moving the sliders is smooth and gives instant preview while you are dragging the sliders.

@ATP Source? You don't have a marking of being Affinity staff, and from looking around not that much changed on the Windows side (but I can't look at the inside of course).

I'll be back on 1.9.2 for the time being...

In their preview of 1.10 they're talking about it. Here is the video.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys

I am experiencing performance issues in Affinity Designer, Photo and Publisher after upgrading to version 1.10. Everything was working perfectly with version 1.9, however after upgrading to the new version 1.10, it is unbearable to do any work on the programs, everything very slow and crashing with relatively light work. With all this happening, I decided to train my computer to make the correction of errors and tests to see if it would work better, however it didn't work, the problems with slowness and crashing continues.

I don't know what else to do because I need to work with the software and it doesn't work properly like in the previous version.

On 8/14/2021 at 9:04 AM, RogerKn said:

I'm also experiencing a significant slowdown in 1.10 compared to the previous version. Closing images, cropping, opening tools - all the basic operations are much less performant than before.

Roger

I'm having real trouble after uploading the 1.10 version.  I often get the "Not responding" message and it seems to be about 3 steps behind what I'm doing.  Of course, it could be my computer but I didn't have this trouble on the previous version.  

Can anyone tell me how to go back to the previous version?

Thanks

• Staff
46 minutes ago, AdeleTayles said:

I'm having real trouble after uploading the 1.10 version.  I often get the "Not responding" message and it seems to be about 3 steps behind what I'm doing.  Of course, it could be my computer but I didn't have this trouble on the previous version.  

Can anyone tell me how to go back to the previous version?

Thanks

Hey AdeleTayles,

Have you tried disabling OpenCL from Preferences? Can you tell me what graphics card you have and its driver version?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi.

I am also struggling with the slow down in 1.10.4 on a windows 10 desktop.

So much so I cant really work with it (My projects aren't particularly complex) so can you explain how to roll back - I have 1.10.1 exe which I think was OK

I checked my Intel Graphics driver and it says it is the latest it can have. See attachment.

Thanks

intel graphics.jpg

I'm experiencing the same thing on 1.10.4.1198.  It was slow with the previous one too I think. I hoped the upgrade would fix it. I don't recall this happening earlier with other 1.10 versions but I"m not sure. I don't use it regularly. I did recently install a new video card I will give my specs below but first will say that disabling OpenCL fixed the problem. Also, to elaborate, the problem was happening with even simple interface actions like turning layers on and off, resizing a brush with the keyboard, changing blending modes and virtually everything else. I would sometimes be able to count several seconds before a response. Usually, after using a given function once or twice it would be normal speed. 

Specs:

AMD Radeon Pro W6600
Driver 27.20.22024.8

AMD Ryzen 7 1700

48 GB RAM

Windows 10 64 bit
version 10.0.19041

On 11/4/2021 at 12:01 PM, kilotank said:

am also struggling with the slow down in 1.10.4 on a windows 10 desktop.

So much so I cant really work with it (My projects aren't particularly complex) so can you explain how to roll back - I have 1.10.1 exe which I think was OK

All the 1.10.x versions are terrible if you are using an Intel hd-xxx, with opencl enabled.

Disable opencl or roll back to 1.9.x.

On 11/10/2021 at 12:51 PM, Joris Mak 2 said:

All the 1.10.x versions are terrible if you are using an Intel hd-xxx, with opencl enabled.

Disable opencl or roll back to 1.9.x.

Not just Intel HD graphics. Also with AMD Radeon GPUs. Can't say about Nvidia.

I would recommend someone just disable OpenCL rather than rolling back to a previous version. That seems like a steeper price to pay. Disabling GPU acceleration doesn't seem like much of a big deal except maybe in extremely complex projects, if then.

• 1 month later...

I can confirm the sluggishness of 1.10.4 on a windows machine compared to 1.9.2. My machine runs with Windows 10, 32 Gig of RAM, an SSD and an Intel Core i7 notebook processor. I have updated the operating system and the graphics driver for the Intel UHD 620 chip to the latest one (according to the Intel driver and support assistant).

The sluggishness is most prominent when exporting Images with live filter layers, especially clarity to jpg. 1.10.4 would sit there for close to a minute befor the file is written, whereas 1.9.2. takes a few seconds to process the file. If there are no live filter layers, 1.10.4 is fast.

I downgraded to 1.9.2, 1.10.4 is simply a pain in the neck when exporting.

On my system I can only work with the 1.10.5.1227 beta version without problems in combination with OpenCL.
version 1.10.4.11xx crashes every time I use simple tool. with no OpenCL.  So for me is this the solution at the moment.

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

To add to this if its helpful. I was expereincing the same slow running / tiling issues as identified above. Disabled CL acceleration fixed it for me. V1.10.4.1198

DxDiag attached.

If I can ask the current thinking of the serif team. Do you believe its a driver issue with Intel and it will ultimately be fixed with an update from them? Or do you believe its something that can be corrected in Affinity. Were the big steps forward in OpenCL in 1.10?

DxDiag.txt

I get the feeling that Affinity Photo now uses OpenCL for even more tasks, and the problem is that the power of the HD6xx series is not strong enough to actually be a performance benefit.

Or the shared memory is causing issues or slowdowns, something like that.