You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher 1.10.0 crashing shortly after launch

Hello. I would like to be able to use these products. I have purchased them recently; downloaded Photo/Designer today, Publisher earlier in July and updated to latest version 1.10.0.1127.

Radeon RX 570 Series, software version 21.6.1. I updated this today. Also updated Windows today. Windows 10 Home, version 21H1, OS Build 19043.1110.

When launching the program, it launches into the editing interface for a brief period of time (say, under a minute) before crashing. I can open files in this brief window of time. This happens for the entire suite of Photo, Designer and Publisher. I have tried enabling/disabling hardware acceleration, changing RAM usage limit, and changing the renderer to WARP. The issue persists.

I have never used an Affinity product before. I used to use the Adobe suite, including the latest version of Photoshop, After Effects, Illustrator and InDesign with no issues. I have checked and I'm not using any of the listed known third-party software that has issues with Affinity.

I've attached the last three .dmp files from the CrashReports>reports folder.

Please let me know if this information is lacking, I can try and add more to it. I would like to be able to use and endorse these products very much.

Thank you.

98029a44-36d9-47b0-a878-654cba4a37b1.dmp 470241d3-22a6-495e-b1e6-f679c13e0285.dmp 5d449ab2-0e09-45c7-bb24-a842323a0b8b.dmp

@adirosa Please try with deactivated hardware acceleration. You'll find this at Preferences --> Performance in the programmes.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

I have just downloaded today's version of Affinity Publisher and tested it by opening my latest book, which (when saved to pdf format for the printer) is 2.45GB.  Opening in the previous version was painful: click to open and then go away for ten minutes before it fully loads and is editable.

With v. 1.10.0.1127, operating under Windows 10 on a desktop with 8GB RAM, the program hesitated for a couple of seconds, and then the whole of the file was there, ready to edit! Amazing!  A phenomenal improvement!

As regards this version crashing, installing previous updates as soon as they were launched has led me to expect a minor update a few days later, to fix problems reported by users.  The new version hasn't crashed with me yet.

I have just installed the update on my Windows 10 laptop and ran the same test.  On clicking to open the large file, there was a pause that this time I counted.  It lasted 8 seconds, while nothing seemed to be happening, and then the file was there.  After another 2-3 seconds all page thumbnails visible on the screen at that time were populated, and I could go anywhere in the document and edit it.

This is a major improvement.  Now the team will be able to concentrate on developing other aspects of the program (but I won't mention footnotes, as that belongs in a different thread!).

17 hours ago, Subclavius said:

Hello @adirosa and welcome to the forums.

Please would you check this post:

for a possible clash with other software.

Hi @Subclavius, thank you for the welcome. I do not have any of these software, but thank you for directing me to this post.

17 hours ago, Komatös said:

@adirosa Please try with deactivated hardware acceleration. You'll find this at Preferences --> Performance in the programmes.

I have tried this, and it is still crashing. I've attached the crash report.

I decided to uninstall Affinity Photo 1.10.0 and install 1.9.2. It's stayed open for a minute now, even with hardware acceleration on, so I'll be using this for now. It's still rather frustrating. I hope the issue can be identified and fixed, so I'll be able to use the newest features.

6f9bef14-4f40-46c5-8ac3-3d7a3fbc4a7d.dmp

It may be fragile and daredevil, but I recommend everyone here to run the MS dotNET repair tool.

Furthermore, despite regular updates, Windows system components may be damaged. Therefore, you should also check the system components with the tool sfc.

To do an sfc scan press Windows key + R, type CMD, hold shift + ctrl and press enter or click OK
Type in the command prompt windows sfc /scannow and press enter.

dotNET repair tool: Scroll down at the website till you see the download link.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/microsoft-net-framework-repair-tool-is-available-942a01e3-5b8b-7abb-c166-c34a2f4b612a

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Just started using this year and I love that I dont have to pay for InDesign. I am running mine on a macbook pro. I get about 5 minutes into editing my book and it shuts down. Nothing saves. I can't get my work done. Nothing else is running except this program. I am just giving information to the developers. Hopefully they can fix it. 

You are showing remarkable forbearance!  Sorry to hear of this problem.  I am using Windows so have no Mac experience, but the crashes that I have experienced have not generally been this bad (except once with the previous version!!).  The program can't be this bad or it would have stopped selling by now (one would hope!).  Do you have the possibility of trying to run it on a different (Mac?) computer, to see if there is a problem with your normal machine?

@adirosa  I have a AMD RX 550 card, lower spec but maybe not so different from your RX 570.  After updating Radeon graphics software to 21.3.1 there were a few scary 'grey noise' screens where clearly the graphics software crashed.  I reverted to 20.11.2 and have stayed there ever since and I haven't experienced any more crashes.  Is is worth considering reverting to an earlier version of the software?

@Trevor A Thank you! I looked through the thread and saw that some people were mentioning that it may be fighting with another app. I restarted the computer and restarted the program. After saving it every time I changed something, I noticed that it wasn't crashing anymore. AND YES. I love affinity. I will struggle along with them. Such a blessing to me having no money for 6 mil subscriptions lol. 

DHPublishing, great to hear that you have managed to solve the problem.

adirosa/Subclavius, as regards reverting to an earlier version of the software, I believe that this may be a temporary solution for some people.  However, the latest version, 1.10.0.127 (for the PC) does have massive memory-handling improvements compared with 1.9.2 and I would suspect that once Affinity have heard of any problems/bugs with version 1.10.0, they will release a minor upgrade, fixing them, perhaps in a few days' time.

My desktop computer lost all network connections on Friday evening, while copying several GB of data to my laptop.  (No Affinity program was running.)  I re-booted the router, but that did not solve the problem, and then a Windows 10 message told me "Network discovery is turned off.  Network computers and devices are not visible."  (I knew that!)  "Please turn on network discovery in Network and Sharing Centre."  Well, the operating system was unable to find "Network and Sharing Centre" (although it could of course find "Network Status"), and - in a bit of genius (?) programming by Microsoft - the operating system tried to take me to an internet address stored in the O/S to solve the problem!!!  The MS programmers apparently had not understood that if a computer has lost access to the internet, trying to send it to the internet to solve the problem will not work!!

The solution?  Abort the data copying (which had in any case stopped as soon as the network was lost), and re-boot both computers.

Problem "solved" - but I have not made a second attempt to copy the large data files from one computer to the other.

One computer expert once told me, "No computer works 100% correctly.  If you think yours does, you haven't yet found the bit that doesn't work!"

Of course, Apple computers may be better here than the Microsoft operating system.

• 3 months later...
On 8/7/2021 at 4:22 AM, Komatös said:

It may be fragile and daredevil, but I recommend everyone here to run the MS dotNET repair tool.

Furthermore, despite regular updates, Windows system components may be damaged. Therefore, you should also check the system components with the tool sfc.

To do an sfc scan press Windows key + R, type CMD, hold shift + ctrl and press enter or click OK
Type in the command prompt windows sfc /scannow and press enter.

dotNET repair tool: Scroll down at the website till you see the download link.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/microsoft-net-framework-repair-tool-is-available-942a01e3-5b8b-7abb-c166-c34a2f4b612a

This worked for me! I just ran the repair tool - no need to even do the sfc scan. Thank you very much for sharing!!!