You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where is the perfomance boost in 1.10?

running Desinger on an 8-core I9 MacBookPro, 64GB, 8GB graphic card, MacOS 10.15.7

having a document with few thousand (1000-2000?) objects so far, I am sad to say I personaly can not see that the rendering while zooming in/out is 10x faster in version 1.10.. :(

I  mean still a great piece of software, no doubt.

first video is 1.9.3, second same file on 1.10.0

• Staff

Sorry for the delay in replying. Are you able to provide me with a screenshot of your benchmark results from both 1.9.2 and 1.10? You can do this by opening the app and going to Help > Benchmark (without a document open)

• Staff

Doh, sorry. Are you able to send me the document you used in your videos so that I can see how it performs for me? If you could send me the benchmarks from both versions of Photo that would be great but I understand if don't want to do that.

Why is the benchmark only available in Photo and not in Designer? And is there any possibility to see the numbers of layers, elements.. (meta infos) about a file?

Running the benchmark several times, some of the values differ +-10%, specially the raster (multi GPU) and combined (multiple GPUs) values. I have closed all other programs during the test, only Photo was open.

As you can see there is no difference between 1.9.7 and 1.10.0, some values are even higher in 1.9 (in certains runs).

I could provide you with a link to the file which I have used for the testing (via pm), but even if is faster on your machine it will not explain why there is no difference on my machine.. do you have any testfiles which I could run?

For me it feels like just seeing the splash screen from 1.10 but underneath is still 1.9...

perf_1.9.png

perf_1.10.png

mac_info.png

Video driver update? Uninstall and install driver? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

54 minutes ago, km.au said:

I'm not sure but publisher with hundreds of pages is a snap now, def 10x faster there so may be only in particular cases

I haven't looked into Publisher yet.

I have done the benchmark test with no document open as suggested.  There is no major difference between the two version on my machine or the benchmark is wrong (and therefore useless)

The promo video 4 weeks ago showing the beta performance boost with 600.000 layers was very very promising, but if I can not see any difference with 2000 layers, I guess it will not getting better if I add another 598.000 ;) I would think it is normal daily usage to add thousand of layers and zooming in and out while working, I would not agree that this is a particular or very special case.

I'd like to know why is the performance better in Photo Beta than in the release version, its been like this from 1.8.x; I've been forced to work with the beta version of Photo since the release version is always slower and crashes constantly.

On 8/13/2021 at 10:56 AM, j.strackbein said:

The promo video 4 weeks ago showing the beta performance boost with 600.000 layers was very very promising, but if I can not see any difference with 2000 layers,

I did see that video, and I've read a few threads on this forum. It seems that some people misunderstood (and misunderstand) what this means. Performance was already pretty good, but when you go up to hundreds of thousands of layers performance dropped off noticeably. This is where you will (really) see the performance boost with the latest version. If you have relatively few layers, you unlikely to see an "almost 10 times as fast" (quote from the video) performance boost. You will see some boost in performance due to other tweaks that have been done, but not necessarily 10 times better.

I have seen some performance boost in APub with documents of about 72 pages. Page thumbnails seem to render much more quickly than before.

how can I missunderstand that video.. in the video everything is smooth without any lag while zooming and moving around,  I have 2000+ layers and I experience a clear lag and no boost..nothing. Its not the question that it is not a great piece of software, I love it, I was just wondering why I can not see any difference.

10 times faster was just a number, could be any factor, but there is no visible improvment at all. Benchmark is telling the same story. If it is faster with 600.000 layers, it should be warp speed with <10.000.. or ?  Do you think I have to add another 100.000 or more before I notice something? sounds not logical to me ;)

2 hours ago, j.strackbein said:

If it is faster with 600.000 layers, it should be warp speed with <10.000.. or ?

No. That is exactly what I am not saying. If you are experiencing problems with 2,000 layers then you should report it. But performance with relatively few layers was not generally a problem before, so you would notice any improvements less than with hundreds of thousands of layers. A difference of a few milliseconds is not noticeable to a human, a difference of tens or hundreds of milliseconds is.