You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't save affinity files after downloading 1.10.0

4 hours ago, Sydney2021 said:

Now that the file is saved in affinity publisher 1.10.0, can I revert to using the file in older V1.9??

Usually the answer would be no. But specifically for 1.10 to 1.9.2 the best I can say is maybe. You can't know without trying.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I too am experiencing this same issue and it has brought our work to a complete halt. I can keep saving with ctrl-s repeatedly but I'm having to do this so often little work is getting done. I get on a roll with some work which makes me forget about the ctrl-s routine and then bam, everything I've been working on for 20 minutes is gone.

I'm going to attempt a roll back to 1.9.2 and hope it works but we're on a tight deadline and all work has now stopped. Serves me right for updating too early.

Same issue here, discussed in another thread. It seems to happen after I edit or copy/paste text and/or image frames. Windows Task Manager reports very high power usage by AF at that time. I'm going to try going back to 1.9 so I can resume work on my project. Note that neither memory nor space is an issue.

Hi,

I have the same issue. I got the error on a 1.10 version of Affinity Publisher, running on Windows. This is what seems to have caused the problem for me. 

I am working on a photo book with a lot of linked JPEG images. I duplicated an existing page containing an image and a text frame with paragraph settings.

On the duplicated page I attempted to change the image to another image and update the text. These operations went through fine. 

But the save did not work. 

Luckily I had a back up and I did not lose much work. 

I restored to the back up. The next time I created a page from a master page. Assigned an image and some text to the new page.

Now the save worked.

But for sure there is a bug here. 

Regards, 

I updated Publisher to the new version (1.10) as soon as it was available.

After update to V1.10 I carried out edits on the body of the book (previously captured in 1.9.2.1035). These updates were all textual rather than to picutres. This saved OK in V 1.10, or so it would seem.

I decided to carry out a minor update to the cover file. This was to file ImageWrapCover_Premium_Paper.afpub (uploaded here, along with the linked image I tried to move). The update was simply to move the text boxes and picture on the right hand half upwards a bit to centre them vertically on the page. On saving this I received the message seen by others (error message.docx).

I tried the same operation in V1.9.2.1035 and it worked fine.

I am reporting this although it has already been reported, so that I can be kept in the loop.

I am about to send the book to the printers, so this bug has come at a most inconvenient time!

A337 green shieldbug 5th instar Rt eye x500 ETD 5kV.jpg

error message.docx ImageWrapCover_Premium_Paper.afpub

So some slightly good news, I have reverted back to 1.92 and can still open my .afpub file created and modified with 1.10 and saving and working is back to normal.

Can't say this will be the case for everyone but it gets us out of a pickle for the short term at least.

6 hours ago, microjez said:

I updated Publisher to the new version (1.10) as soon as it was available.

After update to V1.10 I carried out edits on the body of the book (previously captured in 1.9.2.1035). These updates were all textual rather than to picutres. This saved OK in V 1.10, or so it would seem.

I decided to carry out a minor update to the cover file. This was to file ImageWrapCover_Premium_Paper.afpub (uploaded here, along with the linked image I tried to move). The update was simply to move the text boxes and picture on the right hand half upwards a bit to centre them vertically on the page. On saving this I received the message seen by others (error message.docx).

I tried the same operation in V1.9.2.1035 and it worked fine.

I am reporting this although it has already been reported, so that I can be kept in the loop.

I am about to send the book to the printers, so this bug has come at a most inconvenient time!

A337 green shieldbug 5th instar Rt eye x500 ETD 5kV.jpg

error message.docx 20.62 kB · 0 downloads ImageWrapCover_Premium_Paper.afpub 2.71 MB · 1 download

I downloaded your cover file and saved it on my desktop.  I double clicked on it to open it in Publisher 1.10.  It opened well.  Then I saved it out to my desktop again and it saved perfectly after confirming that I wanted to overwrite the original file.  Mystery

Same problem. 

Halfway through editing my file in 1.9.2 I upgraded. I was no longer able to Save the file. (Same internal error).

I did manage to Save As and create a couple of different versions, but Save didn't work with these either. It seems that any changes I made to these files prevented them from being Saved. 

I uninstalled 1.10.1 and reinstalled 1.9.2 and it is able to open the files successfully and I can carry on with my edit.

From another thread, it's possible it only occurs after some time, when the computer is lacking ressources or memory... and can't save.

I had this problem working some time on a document... I had to reopen and redo part of my work, but saving every few minutes wasn't a problem.

18 minutes ago, Wosven said:

From another thread, it's possible it only occurs after some time, when the computer is lacking ressources or memory... and can't save.

I had this problem working some time on a document... I had to reopen and redo part of my work, but saving every few minutes wasn't a problem.

That is not my situation.  I can not save intermittently using Ctrl_S

@JohnersI posted my info in a different stream - didn't realize there was more than one. (see below).

I'm only seeing the SAVE issue in 1.10 after I adjust or copy and paste any of the Master Pages, whether directly or from the document.

When I the error message, Windows Task Manager reports very high power usage - but not before then.

I'm using the latest Windows 10 update on an Intel I9 with plenty of memory.

Here's the other thread with a lot of posts:

5 hours ago, DanM said:

@JohnersI posted my info in a different stream - didn't realize there was more than one. (see below).

I'm only seeing the SAVE issue in 1.10 after I adjust or copy and paste any of the Master Pages, whether directly or from the document.

When I the error message, Windows Task Manager reports very high power usage - but not before then.

I'm using the latest Windows 10 update on an Intel I9 with plenty of memory.

Here's the other thread with a lot of posts:

@DanM @Jon P Thanks Dan, I’ve included Jon P so the development team are aware of your issue and the other threads. 

Incidentally, since the first problem and converting my images to CMYK, I haven’t had any further issues re saving. Although I have mostly worked with text since then and I have used master pages with no problems. 

Many thanks, Johners. 

I agree this is an annoying problem. It looks like my old documents won't save either. getting the same error message.

My workaround that appears to work is to create a brand new document then add pages from fle.

Saving then looks to be working. No changing of image formats etc. mentioned elsewhere.

Hope this helps someone.

Spoke too soon. As soon as I added a new image to the document we are back to not being able to save. 

Looks like I will have to revert to older version. That will teach me not to update so quickly.

Sean

Edited by Sean_B

Experience the same issue and reported in another stream: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/147012-publisher-11001127-save-failed-due-to-internal-error/

I have since uninstalled 1.10 and reinstalled 1.9.2 and no longer have problems saving.

• Staff

We have identified a recipe which causes this bug to appear and has now been fixed internally. We believe this should fix the saving issue for most (if not everyone). We are hoping to release a beta with this fix in soon, and subject to testing have this fix in our first patch.

I would advise using 1.9.2 until this patch/beta is out if are affected by this bug a lot, or avoiding duplicating pages/master pages and picture frames to try avoid it for now

Thanks and apologies for the inconvenience this bug caused

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

On 8/8/2021 at 11:59 PM, BPMcCammon said:

I downloaded your cover file and saved it on my desktop.  I double clicked on it to open it in Publisher 1.10.  It opened well.  Then I saved it out to my desktop again and it saved perfectly after confirming that I wanted to overwrite the original file.  Mystery

That happens to me, if I do not change anything. The problem arose when I changed the positions of the text boxes and picture frame on the right hand half of the file.

3 hours ago, Jon P said:

We have identified a recipe which causes this bug to appear and has now been fixed internally. We believe this should fix the saving issue for most (if not everyone). We are hoping to release a beta with this fix in soon, and subject to testing have this fix in our first patch.

I would advise using 1.9.2 until this patch/beta is out if are affected by this bug a lot, or avoiding duplicating pages/master pages and picture frames to try avoid it for now

Thanks and apologies for the inconvenience this bug caused

Excellent. Thanks for the update

Same error with me, working on a Windows 10 PC. Funny, that it does work some times, and other times it doesn't.

I even dont get a "Affinity Publisher" thumbnail on my screenframe anymore. Right now I saved the elements of my project on affinity photo documents. Whenever I think the error might be gone, I add the images by copy and paste to my Aff.Publisher document. Then I change some stuff, add something on my master page. But then the error appears if I want to save. Exporting an pdf file is not a problem. I also had some 0kb files saved. And I could also restore some of my documents after having to close the program. But not the newest changes. And when I try to "save as" under a file name I created before, the program says its write-protected, what is weird, because the document is 0kb. I cannot delete them either because they are "opened in Affinity Publisher" what is not the case in what I see.

Would be interested in any news.

jpg.jpg

24 minutes ago, Ragus Sugar said:

Would be interested in any news.

Did you see the post just above yours, from @Patrick Connor?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1